where are loads posted

newsara35

Expert Expediter
Hi all me and my husband have just started this business. Meaning we got our first truck last week. He signed on with a company and is going to work for them to get a good understanding. We want to buy more trucks and get our own loads. Does anyone know the sights you use to find loads online when we are ready to try this on our own without a parent company?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
If you just started in expediting, you'll find out that one truck is hard enough to deal with, let alone multiple trucks with your own authority. The websites you were given were for LTL loads, which means they don't pay squat. They're basically used for getting you back from the boonies. If you want loads under your own authority, your best bet is to get contracts. But at this point in time, get experience with one of the larger carriers. Unless you have deep pockets, this is the only stability you'll find. Hope this helps.

T-hawk
"Playoffs??? Y-you're asking me about playoffs???" - Jim Mora

newsara35

Expert Expediter
Thank you for that information. Yes, it helps and we will try to go for contracts we have discussed this. Not sure on how to get contracts with these individual companies but we will take the name number and address of all his stops he has for the next few months and try to approach these people first with contracts. Is there another way to approach people for these?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know what company your husband is working for but many of the large ones have a non compete clause in their lease. This means you cannot approach Companies that the Carrier you are with brokers the freight to you.

Another problem is if you have one truck and a company does call you, you might be 500 miles away and can't cover the load. The only thing that really works is to get a contract with a dedicated run out and back.

As someone else said most of those load boards really don't pay,good trips are given out to favorite drivers.

Not trying to discourage you but just trying to make you aware of the pitfalls that may come up.

Good luck,BTW what size truck do you have?

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
You should have started out driving with an O/O first.To see if you even like this kind of lifestyle.The recruiters will tell you anything they want you to hear just to get you signed on.I sure hope you did not take out a second mortage on your house for this.But i wish you and your husband the BEST OF LUCK.

Whitewolf53

newsara35

Expert Expediter
No no mortgage was taken out and we are starting with just a straight truck. Thanks for letting me know not to step on any toes. We are not trying to get rich we are just trying to make a decent living. I am hoping that this is not a mistake but we are in it now so we have only to learn now. Thanks again for your info. every little bit helps.

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
Whitewolf,
I will speak for myself with your comment. I will not lie to a driver to get them to sign on with me. I know that the only thing I have is my word while dealing with drivers. I know that if I lie to one driver it will spread threw to others that I am a liar, and I do not stand by my words. Please do not lump in all recruiters. I have talked to other recruiters who are on this board, and with everything we have talked about, most I have found are reliable recruiters, and do tell the truth.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
When my wife and I researched the industry before we jumped in, the question of our own authority came up. After looking into it, we decided to go the carrier route instead. Having your own authority adds a ton of additional work to a trucking business, including sales and marketing, customer service, and compliance to name some.

Of course, for every 10 drivers or teams that get into the business, there are at least 11 reasons for doing so. The additional complexity and responsibility of having our own authority quickly turned us off to the idea. For others, having your own authority can be a goal to live for.

I'd be curious to know, and it would be valuable for others to hear what the draw of having your own authority is. What makes it worth it to you to take on that additional work and responsibility?

newsara35

Expert Expediter
Well for right now we are with a company and just as happy with them. This is just something else we are looking into. If after we research it and it does seem like to much then we wont go down that avenue. We have still to look at another truck to run along with the one we have. As for the recruiters yes we have heard that alot of them lie and you dont get any business if the dispatcher doesnt like you but Im hoping we are with a good company and the recruiter seemed very straight forward with us. All info is a good thing.

whitewolf53

Expert Expediter
So you won't lie.Well then where is my 500 dollar sign on bonus that iwas promised after 6 months of service??????????????????????????????

Whitewolf53x( x( x( x( x(

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Your posts sound like someone extremely new as well as your screen name being newsara. There's nothing wrong with that at all and I'm not implying anything of the sort, just making an observation. My other observation is your posts sound like you want to run before toddling. Don't take giant steps and don't try to conquer Rome in one encounter. Before you worry about adding another truck get to the top of your game with the truck you have. Learn your company, their freight lanes, their hotspots, anything and everything about the business. When you know all there is to know about both them and the business then it's time to look into adding trucks. Think tortoise, not hare. Good luck.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

TryHoursRcrtr

Expert Expediter
Mike,
I wasn't here when you were. As I stated to you before, I would be more then willing to talk to you about your sign on bonus. I won't air dirty laundry on a public board. I do know where the sign on bonus went that was to be yours, I did look into it. All you have to do is call, I am more then willing to sit and talk to you about it.
Christine

newsara35

Expert Expediter
Leo your absolutely right. We are new and as for what we know about this business well lets just say we know where the truck keys are and that about covers what we know. These boards and info from more experienced people like yourself is helping alot. We are eager to learn but we wont jump into anything other than what we are doing for awhile we are just probing and asking questions right now. I appreciate all the good and honest comments we are getting. Keep letting me have it!

TravisT

Expert Expediter
Common Carrier Authority

I can say a few words on this, I seem to be a perfect example of what is being discussed. I'm new to expediting, I drove a dedicated run in a company truck for a few years, and was sick of the routine. That's why I don't want to do that kind of driving.

Although most comments on this board concerning the major expeditors and the way those who lease to them are treated are positive, I have heard from too many old-timers that chances are you'll get treated badly, at least for "a while." The reason I have chosen not to lease is primarily that I don't prefer to be out 2-3 weeks at a time as is usually required.

I may be lucky but I seem to have an abundance of small-medium forwarders and brokers in my area who want me to run, I've even been offered to run under their authority w/out any contract until mine comes through. My runs will be 1-3 days out and back, hopefully w/backhaul, but usually not - I might get "expedited" around once in a while but probably not often.

Common Authority will allow me to compete directly with those who are usually paying me, if things are slow. I see this as a "sky is the limit," "it's all up to me" kind of situation -- maybe I'm wrong though. Who's to say I can't hustle a load or two a week from businesses and even private parties (no household goods, I'm not going that route) who are not familiar with the heavy-freight industry.

All in all, carrying authority doesn't seem to have that many drawbacks. It's cheap, there's some paperwork but with only one truck, how much can there be? An initial safety audit hurdle, then pretty much open road. What am I missing? (Really, I'm asking.)

(I'll be driving a 26,000 under cdl straight truck w/sleeper)

TravisT

Expert Expediter
RE: Common Carrier Authority

It's true that in an under-CDL truck like mine I don't have to participate in IRP or IFTA, two of the biggest expenses and headaches of carrying authority, as I understand it. I think I'd also have second thoughts if this were not the case.

As for process agents, a single agent can register you in every state for under $50.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Travis,would you care to tell us what you pay for Cargo and Public Liability Insurance?

TravisT

Expert Expediter

I'm getting three quotes, best so far is about $4,300 for $750k liability, and $1,100 for $100k cargo. One more to go.