When is a good time to replace the shocks??

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hello all,
I have a 2000 FL80 and I don't believe that the shocks have ever been changed out. I can't find anything in my previous owners papers that showed that they had been replaced.
I know how a car feels when shocks are in need of replacing. Just not sure about the truck.
The truck has approx. 500,000 miles on her. So, I am SURE it is past time to do it.
So, my questions is: What shocks are best for this unit?
If I need to give you guys some more information on this before you can give me some suggestions I will do so.
Thanks in advance for any and all replies!!
Laura

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Laura,

We usually do it once a year unless they are leaking or the rubber bushings are dry rotting.

As for brand, we use Monroe or the factory ones. Just depends on whats available.

Davekc
owner
23 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I'm with Dave on this, once a year is a good time but also get a full alignment too.

Just purchased rears for the truck, OEM ones and they cost $60 each - not bad but I got to get someone to install all of them now.

MR.SNAPPY

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I will go with what Dave and Greg said. look at the rubber bushings and if you have air ride then I would think that the rear will last a little longer than the front....

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
If it seems to lean a lot on sharp turns that also a good sympton that they need to be replaced

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hey guys,
Thanks for all the info. She goes in tomorrow morning for her PM, alighment and shocks!!!
Hopefully the ride will me alot better!
Laura

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
300K+ originals, no lean no worn bushings, no worn rubber. Watching close, felt it was time but no indication to throwing $ away either.

Know it was getting close.....

2000 model need it or not its time either way.

Usually do not disagree with Dave but I do on once a year.