when an expedited load turns out to not really be an expedite

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
So I lost a lot of time on delivery and got some bogus story that detention starts after 4 hours. This was a GM load bid by a Landstar agent. I think the paperwork said NLM on it so XPO owned it I guess. I don't recall having any detention at a GM plant in a few years but since when has the industry standard 2 hours free been stretched out to 4 hours?

This is the second agency to burn me on detention. The other one was a load to a Toyota plant where I also lost 6 hours. I suppose from here on out we're going to have to spell out detention terms before the load gets booked. Never had any problems with Landstar agencies in the past on this. Must be a new policy. Of course these 2 agencies that burned me I had never worked with before nor seen their agency codes on anything that interested me.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
So I lost a lot of time on delivery and got some bogus story that detention starts after 4 hours. This was a GM load bid by a Landstar agent. I think the paperwork said NLM on it so XPO owned it I guess. I don't recall having any detention at a GM plant in a few years but since when has the industry standard 2 hours free been stretched out to 4 hours?

This is the second agency to burn me on detention. The other one was a load to a Toyota plant where I also lost 6 hours. I suppose from here on out we're going to have to spell out detention terms before the load gets booked. Never had any problems with Landstar agencies in the past on this. Must be a new policy. Of course these 2 agencies that burned me I had never worked with before nor seen their agency codes on anything that interested me.

NLM load XPO to Landstar to independent carrier/driver; naw thar ain't no double brokering goin on in this bidness,
lol.
also, some landstar agents make their own rules on detention and other things as well, good luck in getting around it.

Dallen323

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
Well the company our fleet owner is,leased to always says if the customer will pay it we pass it on. So as you could imagine we dont see much detention pay.lol

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
I know that for ford they get 120 mins then we get it...gm may be less but they do tell me how much they get before we get paid...and I get exactly that, sometimes even if they don't get paid for it, because as long as I do what I am supposed to do, I get paid

akkshole

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Air Force
Any truck outfit prior to this, including every tractor trailer...I know they say they will charge it but I never EVER got paid detention any time no matter where...they may have charged it, but it NEVER was passed on to me until at xpo

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I never had a problem getting detention most times. It's never really been at what I considered a decent rate but never had a problem getting it.

I've even had one Landstar agent ask me (this one in particular had the best freight, rates, and overall I would have dropped anything for one of her loads) what will you need for detention, then not hesitate at $100 an hour after 2 for free.

There was another Landstar agent that routinely paid either $50-$65 an hour which I felt low, but his rates and freight were always excellent so it was just bonus money anyways. For the most part out here with independents and guys like me working for whoever it's $25-$35 an hour, which is rediculously low and lends one to believe there's some skimming going on.

Whatever the case may be it really sucks, regardless if the detention rate is low or not, when someone outright lies and then cheats you out of detention that rightfully belongs to you. As drivers we deal with a lot out here and one of the biggest things is all the time wasted. It's very disrespectful those who could care less. It doesn't matter if the rate was good or not.

If they will lie or cheat on that then they will bowl you over even worse on other things. So be leary of agency codes LJN and RVW if you do work with them make sure the rate is really good and do not touch anything without detention agreement in writing.

Reactions: jjtdrv4u

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
If there's one thing electronic logs will prove, it's that detention is a problem that needs to be addressed with the imposition of serious penalties for the serial abusers.
Almost nothing makes me angrier than being told my time was contractually given away for free, adding insult to injury. It has persisted because it affects the drivers a lot, but everyone else, not so much.
A focus on detention would do wonders for retention, I bet.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
I never had a problem getting detention most times. It's never really been at what I considered a decent rate but never had a problem getting it.

I've even had one Landstar agent ask me (this one in particular had the best freight, rates, and overall I would have dropped anything for one of her loads) what will you need for detention, then not hesitate at $100 an hour after 2 for free.

There was another Landstar agent that routinely paid either $50-$65 an hour which I felt low, but his rates and freight were always excellent so it was just bonus money anyways. For the most part out here with independents and guys like me working for whoever it's $25-$35 an hour, which is rediculously low and lends one to believe there's some skimming going on.

Whatever the case may be it really sucks, regardless if the detention rate is low or not, when someone outright lies and then cheats you out of detention that rightfully belongs to you. As drivers we deal with a lot out here and one of the biggest things is all the time wasted. It's very disrespectful those who could care less. It doesn't matter if the rate was good or not.

If they will lie or cheat on that then they will bowl you over even worse on other things. So be leary of agency codes LJN and RVW if you do work with them make sure the rate is really good and do not touch anything without detention agreement in writing.

You are driving TT right? most companies I have dealt with pay less in detention for smaller vehicles, as much as 50% less for cargo vans and sprinters, about 25% less for straights.

Reactions: rollincoal

rollincoal

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yeah TT here. So what are typical detention rates for cargo van, sprinter, and straights at whatever company some of you drivers are leased to? Just curious. I mean some of these brokers will offer a TT, in all seriousness, $25 an hour after 2 hours and say that's what it always pays. Nowhere near what a working truck earns in an hour, even on lower rates. I think they know most people won't go through the hassle to get 15 minutes up to an hour of detention of such a pathetic insult. I know it'a a headache billing, and then was the truck on time for pickup or is it open hours. I mean they have a myriad of "outs" but it sure is aggravating. I didn't intend for this to turn into a discussion on detention but it's OK that it did. Was really just venting.

vandriver2

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I know that for ford they get 120 mins then we get it...gm may be less but they do tell me how much they get before we get paid...and I get exactly that, sometimes even if they don't get paid for it, because as long as I do what I am supposed to do, I get paid
Only from what I was TOLD...
Ford gets the first 2 hrs. of Detention Free and GM 1.5 hrs. At THEIR facilities.
Just ran into a situation where I was at a CEVA cross dock getting loaded with GM Cadillac Parts and was held up for 4.5 total hrs.. Ceva personel brought out 5 skids of incorrect parts (I had the NLM# plus a Part # and Quantity and gave it to 3 different people)
I wasn't leaving with the wrong freight, driving for 10 hrs. to deliver. So, it took hours for them to locate and load me with the CORRECT 4 skids. GM's Billing refused to pay my Detention...but after some email and conversing on the phone the company I drive for, I was Compensated for my time and effort. Persevered/Lucked Out.
I DO usually have to grapple/remind/document every occurrence of Detention Pay.

jjtdrv4u

Expert Expediter
Yeah TT here. So what are typical detention rates for cargo van, sprinter, and straights at whatever company some of you drivers are leased to? Just curious. I mean some of these brokers will offer a TT, in all seriousness, $25 an hour after 2 hours and say that's what it always pays. Nowhere near what a working truck earns in an hour, even on lower rates. I think they know most people won't go through the hassle to get 15 minutes up to an hour of detention of such a pathetic insult. I know it'a a headache billing, and then was the truck on time for pickup or is it open hours. I mean they have a myriad of "outs" but it sure is aggravating. I didn't intend for this to turn into a discussion on detention but it's OK that it did. Was really just venting.

$10 to $15 an hour is pretty common.
our time means nothing to most of these people.
turn it around on the other shoe, and we will be paying late penalties and charges if load is late due to anything other than act of nature or god or traffic conditions.