What's the greatest guitar solo of all time?

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
The whole rock "song" thing got me going,so,now i'm thinking guitar solo's. How about Jimmy Page on "heartbreaker"? Deadly Tedly on "Stranglehold"? Paul gilbert "Frenzy"? Yngwie Malmsteen "Icaris Dream suite Opus #4"? Steve Vai "For the love of god"? John Petrucci "under the glass moonlight"? :7

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Malsteen is pretty good, but I am from the old school. Most popular would have to go to Jimmy with "Stairway to Heaven", and second to Ritchie with "Smoke on the Water".
The best though are either Blackmore's "Stargazer" or "Gates of Babylon"

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
I think it was when i heard blackmore's "wieshiem" that i realized he had alot of influence on malmsteen. Oh,hey! Have you heard any of that stuff Blackmore's doing now? Ritchie Blackmore's Black Night? I mean...speaking of old school....it's like rennascience...um...15TH century type stuff...pretty cool.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think Malmsteen is a student of Blackmore. The 16th century stuff with his wife is much different than his days with Deep Purple or Rainbow. My personal favs are with Gillan in purple, or Dio with Rainbow.
Probably should add, if you like Malmsteen and Blackmore, his son isn't half bad either. Very simular style of playing. He has 2 or three cds out under J.R. Blackmore.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Terry Kath - 25 or 6 to 4

Good thread, Grog! I was contemplating putting this question here along with wind and keys.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The solo from "Highway Star" placed well in the recent Rolling Stone list. I think it made top 10, if not, it was close. Machine Head was a great album.(For you youngsters out there, albums were a large, round, pressed vinyl disc.) I probably wore out 3 or 4 8-track copies.(8-tracks were a large, continuous loop tape that provided sound quality that was absolutely mediocre.)

Clapton did some excellent work on 461 Ocean Blvd.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
He did some great stuff with Triumph. Yes Highway star has to be a great one. I would have to say that Satriani and Eddy Van Halen are in the top ten somewhere?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Goin Home, Alvin Lee/10 years after

I second that, also Stevie Ray Vaugn opening of Voodoo Child in concert, just an amazing use of a guitar.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
OOOHH! Alvin Lee. Good one! Possibly one of the first speed metal guys. I tend to gravitate towards the shredders of the mid 80's through the early 90's. Guys like jason becker and marty friedman and all those guys on "Shrapnal" records. George lynch is really good too. I love that solo from "in my dreams" and "Scarified". Oh hey, Steve morse...."carry on". Is he still playing with deep purple?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I may be old but I think one of the all time great guitarists is Les Paul.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA Life Member 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Jayman

Expert Expediter
Not sure if you call it a "solo" or not. But, I do like Eddie Van Halen's licks at the beggining of Pretty Woman.

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
Hmm, there is many solo's that i like. For speed i would have to go with Zakk Wylde in his own version of No More Tears.

But my favorite solo of all time is Pantera - Floods. Seems like there is alot of emotion in that solo.

Man now after listening to that song, i wanna go get my guitar and learn how to play it. :)

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
ooh! yeah. Les Paul. My dad used to have a collection of Charlie byrd and Chet atkins albums, good stuff!

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Forgot about Free bird. That is a good one. There are soo many!

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
Interesting topic!

*Clapton's solo on "Crossroads" from Cream's "Wheels of Fire" has always been a favorite.

*On the more obscure side: Larry Rhinehart's (sp) playing on the first Captain Beyond album - inventive and a great sound.

*Eric Johnson on "Cliffs of Dover".

*Robbie Krieger (Doors) solo on "Moonlight Drive".

And, a lot of those already mentioned.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I am really liking the Les Paul/Chet Atkins stuff, but think Mark Knopfler of Dire Straits belongs on the list, too! ;)