whats the deal with laredo????

tbubster

Seasoned Expediter
can anybody tell me whats up with laredo?why does it seem like alot of people sit for a while waiting.i drive a straight truck and turned a load down because im at home already and if i gotta sit and wait might as well be at home.just woundering if its a dead town for all or just vans or just straight trucks.any comments would help this newbie out in learning.thanks and stay safe out there.

idtrans

Expert Expediter
can anybody tell me whats up with laredo?why does it seem like alot of people sit for a while waiting.i drive a straight truck and turned a load down because im at home already and if i gotta sit and wait might as well be at home.just woundering if its a dead town for all or just vans or just straight trucks.any comments would help this newbie out in learning.thanks and stay safe out there.

It;s hit and miss times it is awesome other times you have all the bottom feeding leaches who will haul freight out for fuel money only. Longest I ever sat in Laredo is 4.5 days the shortest I ever stayed was 3 hours. And with a drug war going on, and japan problem, fuel high and car sales rocky then it's all hit and miss. Now it is not just Laredo you can end up sitting anywhere heck Chicago or columbus or atlanta.

Now sitting at home is hit and miss also. I live in Peoria, IL sometimes I get freight out of here or down the road in davenport, IA but most times I end up having to dead head to chicago for freight. Lately I just leave the day before sleep in truck so I am ready for a load in Chicago for the next work day to get a roll out in the morning if a load is available.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It's really pretty simple... more van and straight truck loads deliver to Laredo than are shipped out of there. It varies, but right now it's probably on the order of a 6:1 ratio. There are a lot of loads that come out of there, but most are truckloads or train car loads. The same holds true for most of the Mexican/Texas border towns.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am a big fan of Laredo, it does seem to be getting tougher for normal cargo vans to get out from what I have seen lately. You have to keep in mind you can also afford to sit longer there than if up north. When you get a load chances are you had good miles going down and it is going to be many more miles out than your average load if you were sitting Michigan Ohio or that type of place. You can get one load in and out of there in a week and have a good week while up north you might need 4 or 5 loads for a good week.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
Me and a friend of mine walked around the J in Laredo and found some old Sprinter parts, along with some Bolt pay stubs and an old sign from A. Blair that read " Will Drive for nothing".

I piled up all that junk, added some old fashion Indian oil I got from JuJu Beans and an extra cup of old Bison engine oil and set it on fire , covered it with and old Indian blanket and sent up smoke signals. The next day I got a run to Dorothy country and now Im in NC with Orville and Wibur, Im just saying .:rolleyes:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
The longest we have ever stayed in Laredo was the amount of time it took to use the bathroom at the TA.
There is freight in San Antonio, Austin and Houston.
And there isn't 100 trucks waiting around to take it.
Turn and burn man, turn and burn.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I ripped Texas out of my atlas.....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Me and a friend of mine walked around the J in Laredo and found some old Sprinter parts, along with some Bolt pay stubs and an old sign from A. Blair that read " Will Drive for nothing".

I piled up all that junk, added some old fashion Indian oil I got from JuJu Beans and an extra cup of old Bison engine oil and set it on fire , covered it with and old Indian blanket and sent up smoke signals. The next day I got a run to Dorothy country and now Im in NC with Orville and Wibur, Im just saying .:rolleyes:

Cracked me up!!! Thanks!!!

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I ripped Texas out of my atlas.....

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

We just dropped in Wichita Falls, nice long run of 1100 then dh to Ft Worth and got a load to E. Moline. Stick the north part of Texas back in with some duct tape. Don't care for Texas BBQ ( cant beat KC's) but we will take Texas $$$.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
9 times out of 10, going to Laredo is going to mean a long run down there, and normally it also means a long run out of there, even if you have to DH to another area for a pu....I'll go down there once a week and sit for 3-4 days and get out in the same week...the last 3 times i have been down there and I made over $3000 going in and out combined and all within the same week....you all can stay out if you like, me and Xiggi will gladly take your places....:)