What's the deal with Fed-Ex CC

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I heard that Fex-Ex cc is cuting down the cc department, (and I don't mean the office people) Now that Fed-Ex owns AF Trucking and because AF was in the freight business they seam to think that the line haul and home delivery will serve the customer better. They are going to only handle certain accounts on the CC end of things, Is there any truth to all this? Does anyone really know? How about some of you pencil pushers reading this and monitoring your drivers, is it true?

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Hi Tony, Well i haven't heard anything about that myself, but i do know Fed Ex has alot more drivers then most people may think. that is through other expediting companys. Fed Ex being a (national logistics)
company. they have a lot of contracts such as G.M. then call up local expediting companys such as the one i haul for and we make the pick ups. they just get their cut for making the arrangments. we haul alot of fed ex loads. and they have quite a few expediting companys that they work with. and a rating system for them. they start all companys out with a 600 pt. rating and they get docked pts. for showing up late, showing up (EARLY) lmao.( remember when expediting meant expediting. get there as quick as you can ) and for any other service failures.even for our dispatch not notifing them in the alotted amout of time from when the driver gets there to when he's loaded. also they put these runs up for bid so the company with the lowest bid and a good rating gets the run. which just makes this business more and more cut throat. seems the only way to make any money anymore is to have your own company. sign on owner operators and take your cut off the top for making a phone call. and since i drive for an owner if we do a fed ex run i get a percentage of a percentage of a percentage.
it's really a shame what has happened to the trucking industry. 30 years ago a truck driver was making upper middle class wages. today he's making the same money he made back then. now it's a chioce of do i put fuel in my tanks, make a truck pmt. or put food on the table.
something needs to happen soon. trucking needs to be regulated again with tariffs and minimums so truck drivers that actually keep this country moving can afford to LIVE here and not just survive.

sorry for rambling on...

Best of Luck to all,
Fr8 Shaker

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
RE: Trucking Regulation

On the topic of truck re-regulation I agree.

And now even the FMCSA agrees, as they are establishing tougher rules for new trucking operations.

It was just 10 years ago that we still had some regulations in effect. I'm not a regulations expert - but I believe Michigan is one of the last states with protection for their MI based carriers.

On the issue of FedEx - don't believe everything you hear.

Lawrence
Expediters Online.com

littlebitofreno

Expert Expediter
Fedex has owned AF for over a year now. I gave up on all the layover time, really like being home when I want.
Talk with some of the long timers, even they are getting nervous.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
It's been a couple years now. When I read in Trucking times the fedex/
af deal was made, I cut the cord from mother fedex the next month.
could already feel the effects of selling that cheaper 2 day stuff.
Like Shaker says, do your own thing, I've never been happier in this business.

Christyrose

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
With the way the contruction on the road is and more drivers on the road, you would think they would be happy to see us arriving early. But, from what I understand Uncle Sam gets his cut if the stock is to early on the floor and not directly used on the line as it arrives. They figured JIT, would cut their taxes and excessive stock floor use. Any stock or inventory is taxed either by the quarter or by the end of year.

DooWop

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Well said Fr8Shaker. 30 years ago I worked at 2 LTL carriers, trying to crack the seniority list and get on steady with either one.
If I recall correctly, our road drivers were making around 25cpm. Now 30 years later, a lot of TL carriers brag about paying 30cpm in their recruiting advertisements! Apparently the higher ups decided that a blue collar worker had to be "put in his place." Because we have seen nothing but the erosion of wages and living standards over the last 30 years. It seems that they just hated the idea that we could own a home in a nice community, own 2 cars and keep the misses at home with the kids until they were ready for school. So they decided to pull the rug from under us.

DooWop

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
dont know what is up with this web page...try to do a reply and it prints my last sentence..hehe..of course maybe its my great computer skills!! just wanted to say that just as i was getting ready to go out on my own, fedex comes through with a record month for me, ive been getting more run offers than i can handle lately,oh well!! :p :p

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Frank: Just think what you're record month woulda been at 100%
insteada 60%. I'd still recommend you go out the door and
not look back. But, get all in order while you are running
hard. When the next slowdown starts you're ready to rock and roll. You certainly don't have to run as hard when you are
generating $.50 to a $1 more per mile. Make sure you have
plenty of contacts, equipment that will handle 2 or 3 partials
(mostly for backhauls) and be in a good freight lane. :p :p
:p

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
x06col...thanks for the reply...which kind of authority do i need, carrier, carrier and broker..?? im sure if i had time to search the archives this subject has been asked before, also i am in central il. 100 miles north of st.louis, 200 miles south of chicago...sometrimes that is not so good other times im the only truck available in 200 miles . i think i could generate some nice accounts but will need some help knowing how to price etc.thanks everyone for your help...frank

nashpredator

Expert Expediter
I have been with FedUp Ground for 8 months, and am getting out to get into expediting. The problem with FedUp starts with its managers, mine has his degree in phys ed. I'm sure when he was doing his pushups he was thinking of moving freight! The only thing FedUp cares about is its image to its stockholders. I don't mean to seem negative, I have seen it first hand. I also have friends in all divisions of FedUp, express, ground, cc, freight, and home delivery. I thought it was just Ground management that had no clue, its every division, all over the country. When I contracted with ground I was under the assumption that I was an independent contractor, by w-9 standards I am. It seems FedUp thinks of me as an employee with no benefits, but with a big truck note. As you can tell I will not be contracting with cc, although they have offered. I am going with a small local company that understands what a w-9 means.

Thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

city boy

Expert Expediter
Nash.......I know what you mean. I came off the road 16 month's ago and bought a new cargo van and signed on with Home Delivery, which was just starting up here in Charleston,SC. They were great salesmen....make money, hire drivers, contract new routes, own your own "company", blah,blah,blah. They sure talked a good talk. FedEx is a GREAT company to own stock in, but DO NOT contract with them, that's for sure. If I'm not an employee, I don't know what is.
I want very badly to buy a big straight truck, hit the road and make money, but every day I get on here and look around, and then talk to expediters I see coming thru town.....it ain't happenin'. I'm real good at learning lessons and FedEx taught me real good to pay attention to my instincts and right now is not the time to start expediting. I will definately be leaving home delivery before September. That's when FedEx will change my delivery area. LOL.
I might get into expediting some day but Home Delivery has left a sour taste in my mouth.....it won't be with FECC.

Everyone else out there still doin' it......Good Luck, I really hope you win.

zingfu25

Expert Expediter
Bottom line (and its too bad i have to say it like this but...) FEDEX CC sucks. They will definately send you to bankruptcy court if you keep waiting for the "slow season", (as they call it) to end. FEDEX CC has had a 1-year+ "slow season". What do you expect them to have when there's 1200 trucks and 300 loads a day?? White glove services may be doing alright but express is dead. Anybody who tells you anything different is full of B.S.