whats on the CDL/C Pre trip inspection test?

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Sorry for asking so many dumb questions, but the way I see it its how ya learn right? So what do you have to know to pass that part of the test? I know half the crap towards semis wont aply to a cargo or sprinter, or anything in a class c so was just curious on what I should study or look at

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Read this carefully.

Everything that you need to know is in the SoS CDL manual. It is on their website in down-loadable PDF file with a nice neat chart that explains which part of the test you will study for a class C.

The pretrip is really easy, learn where the dip stick is, learn about the belts, tire depth limits, what is bad suspension parts and things like that. Unfortunately you will not have to get under the van to check the brakes or what ever else.

Sorry I don't mean to sound mean but I have a keyboard that sucks in this truck and it is a new replacement.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks greg ill go to the website and try to find it. And it didn't sound mean at all. Just stating the facts, which makes it a WHOLE lot easier :). And that sucks about the replacement keyboard, just drop it a few times and it'll ease the problems haha or break out some duct tape. :D

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks again Gregg. I think your a mind reader, I was just about to ask if you had a link lol. The only thing i found online at the sos website was just something I had to scroll threw, and didnt want to print off 113 pages lol

The Enemy

Veteran Expediter
If you go to the SOS and get the manual, you can use the back page, which is the pre trip check list on the test itself, you just have to know the wording as you are checking it.

Dabus1952

Seasoned Expediter
As a retiried Instructor, in the trainning and saftey dept. of a large city transit system . I can tell you this all pre trips are based on a tractor trailer exam. This goes for straight trucks buses as well. When I trainned our drivers, I told them extra information will not fail you.If you start in the back of the truck work top to bottom you will do fine. Then go around to side working same way top to bottom mentioning it will be the same on other side of truck. Dont forget to mention your brakes, slack adjusters etc.One thing guys and gals seem to forget is fire extingushers and triangles. Make sure the truck you are taking test in has everything working if not you will not pass. Good Luck.

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
So I have a update. Took the written test for the CDL/C today and... passed with flying colors:D Got a 46 out of 50 so not to bad id say! Now my next step is going to the sec of state and getting my permit and scheduling a road test, so im one step closer to joining everyone out on the open road :cool:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
SO if you took the written and passed, didn't they give you a learners permit right there?

Rob1982

Seasoned Expediter
Actually I would have gotten it today but when I asked about no one said id need my social security card. So tomorow I go back to Sec Of State and show them my social security card and I'll get my permit at that point. Good thing is they gave me a fast pass so I can cut in line tomorow wooo hoo lol

TRman

Active Expediter
Here is the link to the page, I wish they would get people to show them how to build a proper site with good navigation.

The entire manual is at bottom of the page - big file.

Michigan CDL manual page

Hi,

I am in (Georgia) school for 2 weeks now. My school is giving me a preliminary pre-trip over many parts of the truck on Monday. Do you know where I could get information like that listed above for the Georgia Class A?

Also, in Georgia, is there a list that I'm allowed to keep with me so that I don't forget the parts, then I just have to know what to say about each part (securely mounted etc...)? ...and where could I find that check list?

If you can help, great, but thanks either way.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I would think the Georgia Dot or DMV what ever they call them selves would have a booklet telling you all you need for a successful test. Good luck.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
A little phrase i learned to use for my cdl/a was." Checking to make sure your parts are not. cracked,bent,broke,loose,properly mounted and no missing parts".Say this out loud for each and every part you point out or touch. After doing a pre-trip every day for 30 days at school it was a breeze.Also if you can find an old car antena to use as a pointer it saves you from getting your hands dirty.A dowel rod will work also.

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
My wife just completed her Pre Trip yesterday. It was fairly complete. She had to identify each item on the interior and what each light means since we did not have gauges. After the lights and signals she had to pop the hood and identify each belt and what they drive. She had to identify each part of the brake system and the steering parts. They even had her open the gas cap and make sure there are no obstructions in the fuel filler tube. She passed and then was told that she could not get her license until she got the clearance on her fingerprints. In Missouri they only issue class C with a HazMat or P (people transport) endorsement. So she has to wait until the word comes back on the HazMat background check.

Find a system that works for you and do it the same way every time. Be very vocal about what you are looking like teamjdw said.

Good Luck!

S

sam01

When I got my C, I checked under the hood for wires, hoses, oil, washer fluid, etc. On the outside, I did the mirrors, brakes, tires, lights, windshield, etc. Inside the car, I did the brakes, emergency brake, A/C & defroster, gauges, etc.

Last edited by a moderator: