What's cheap for us???

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
There is a thread that asks what cheap freight is. Well I have another question that I don't think was hit in that thread. What would be considered cheap freight for a contractor that is running for a fleet owner?

The loads that we haul for E1 wouldn't be considered spectular as far as rate goes. But as a contractor, the only thing we have to fall back on is the fact that the difference in rate would add up over a period of time. So, what's the definition of cheap freight for a contractor?

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
as a person running for a contractor.only you know what it takes to pay your bills.If you are paying fuel,then you have to deide what it will take to keep you afloat.whats cheap to some may not be to others.you want to be able to pay your bills and make sure the owner is getting enough to pay his bills ,or you might be job hunting

Critter Truckin

Expert Expediter
OK... maybe I asked the question wrong. What I meant was, what is considered cheap freight for a contractor? Not in percentage.

And you won't catch me dead running for 30% No matter what people think I "need."

sullivandave

Seasoned Expediter
I run a van,so i take my fuel milage which is 15 at 55 comes out to 22cpm.the driver 40cpm ins,main,tolls is 20cpm that comes to 82cpm my cost, for every mile im out,less then 1.00 pm is cheap i hope that helps dave

ds1450

Expert Expediter
I work for FDCC, C unit, solo driver. Nothing under $1.70 per, All miles including the FSC. Unless it's to get out of a crummy area like upstate NY, Canada, ETC. i do well, but have to sit sometimes... but it beats losing money on garbage, cheap freight that others drivers take. If everyone stuck to there guns and kept the rates at a good level, we would all make money. but there are too many bottom feeders out there.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The question is like "What's the best carrier?" The answer is going to be subjective, and therefore varied. It is whatever YOU think it is.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Thank you Mr. Sullivan!

Your post was very objective and to the point.

Although math was not my best subject in school, I appreciate the definitive nature of its exactness.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
The word "cheap" is subjective, no matter how you define it. While Mr Sullivan's method is certainly sensible, there are those who call freight "cheap" if it doesn't meet their standard of acceptable profit. And those standards vary according to who is setting them. My cheap freight may be your acceptable load.
I repeat: cheap freight is a subjective term.

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Maybe comparative would be a better word, because....

SUBJECTIVE, a. Relating to the subject, as opposed to the object.

Certainty--is distinguished into objective and subjective; objective, is when the proposition is certainly true of itself; and subjective, is when we are certain of the truth of it. (Noah Webster's 1828 American Dictionary)

Let all things be done decently and in order.