What would you charge ?

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
7 pallets 11,000 what's your best guess this load will move for? out of hunt valley MD to Birmingham, AL here's your check what would you fill in?

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
7 pallets 11,000 what's your best guess this load will move for? out of hunt valley MD to Birmingham, AL here's your check what would you fill in?

I would charge 3925.00 as a Carrier. Plus FSC.

Last edited:

crich

Expert Expediter
Fleet Manager
US Navy
Ok, I'll play......
To the truck?
785 miles.
Lets say $1500 and $4350 to you.
Am I close? LOL!!

No sir this is just an LTL they could give you the $1500 but I would only make a couple franklins but my point is if I can get this with LTL how come expedite rates haven't went up since I been doing this? I don't really know what the 24 ft trucks move for but is not close? I used to move mine for $1.35 but that was before fsc

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
No sir this is just an LTL they could give you the $1500 but I would only make a couple franklins but my point is if I can get this with LTL how come expedite rates haven't went up since I been doing this? I don't really know what the 24 ft trucks move for but is not close? I used to move mine for $1.35 but that was before fsc

I'm talking Expedited here.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter

Most of the str8 loads we've brokered out in the last 18 months went for right about $2 per mile. Expedite. 18' minimum.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
I would charge 3925.00 as a Carrier. Plus FSC.

I'm talking Expedited here.

Plus FSC???

You forgot to add the Complimentary :p :p :p for the Sarcasm................:p

Never ever ever would I........EXPEDITE or Not.........Pay ANY Company....IOO....Contract Driver.....UShip idiot......whoever..........this kind of money to get ANY type of Freight hauled.

Maybe if you had a Concorde sitting out there and could get it there in 12 minutes for me........................

$5 a mile AND FSC.................

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
If the skids were stackable and this load went with another load in the same direction, since this one is LTL...1500 will make you money...10 years ago we were getting 125-135$ a skid to go back to Canada...LTL that is

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
I believe that is about the average off of the Sylectus board.

Yeah, I think it's about 50-70 cents off of direct customer rates but not horrible considering there's probably a 50-70 CPM slice of the pie eaten on the broker side. It's only fair. IMHO

tknight

Veteran Expediter
I don't move for less than 2.00 mile I cd fsc and I'm beginning to feel the pain of the pesky pensky

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Never ever ever would I........EXPEDITE or Not.........Pay ANY Company....IOO....Contract Driver.....UShip idiot......whoever..........this kind of money to get ANY type of Freight hauled.
Situation #1: You're the manager of the Brown's Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in Athens, AL. It's 1AM and a critical piece of equipment has just failed and the power plant is offline. The only replacement part, other than having one fabricated which takes 3 days, is at the Salem Nuclear Power Plant in New Jersey, 850 miles away. Air expedite is $12,750, but it will take at least 15 hours to secure the plane, get the freight to the plane, fly it to Alabama, and get it from the plane to the plant. Surface expedite can get it there in 14 hours for a total cost of $5000. Meanwhile, it's costing $54,000 an hour to be shut down.

Situation #2: You're the manager of a manufacturing facility in Horseheads, NY that makes differentials for Polaris ATVs at the Spirit Lake, IA plant. Because of equipment failures in manufacturing, you are behind on your deliveries to Iowa, 1250 miles away. It's 8AM and the current production run must be delivered before 2PM tomorrow. If you are late with the current production run you will be fined $30,000 per day as per the contractual agreement between you and Polaris. Sending it LTL is 5-7 days at $750 plus $30,000 per day, TL is 2-3 days at $1700 plus $30,000 per day, surface expedite is 24 hours at $6100, and air expedite is 8 hours at $18,750.

It's not what it costs to get it there, it's what it costs to not get it there.

I've run both of those loads. I've run loads that paid more than $10 a mile to the truck for considerable miles. Most expediters have run similar emergency freight loads at premium prices. Elite and White Glove trucks run some loads that pay closer to air expedite rates. We ain't exactly haulin' cars and RVs out here.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Cars used to pay well. Back in the day carriers would cut up old equipment rather than let others have it.
People jumped in chasing the big bucks.
Now you're seeing under 50cpm per car.
When Hino came here we were hauling them for 3x Swift's rate. Talking car rates are like talking old Robert's rates.

runrunner

Veteran Expediter
Situation #1: You're the manager of the Brown's Ferry Nuclear Power Plant in Athens, AL. It's 1AM and a critical piece of equipment has just failed and the power plant is offline. The only replacement part, other than having one fabricated which takes 3 days, is at the Salem Nuclear Power Plant in New Jersey, 850 miles away. Air expedite is $12,750, but it will take at least 15 hours to secure the plane, get the freight to the plane, fly it to Alabama, and get it from the plane to the plant. Surface expedite can get it there in 14 hours for a total cost of $5000. Meanwhile, it's costing $54,000 an hour to be shut down.

Situation #2: You're the manager of a manufacturing facility in Horseheads, NY that makes differentials for Polaris ATVs at the Spirit Lake, IA plant. Because of equipment failures in manufacturing, you are behind on your deliveries to Iowa, 1250 miles away. It's 8AM and the current production run must be delivered before 2PM tomorrow. If you are late with the current production run you will be fined $30,000 per day as per the contractual agreement between you and Polaris. Sending it LTL is 5-7 days at $750 plus $30,000 per day, TL is 2-3 days at $1700 plus $30,000 per day, surface expedite is 24 hours at $6100, and air expedite is 8 hours at $18,750.

It's not what it costs to get it there, it's what it costs to not get it there.

I've run both of those loads. I've run loads that paid more than $10 a mile to the truck for considerable miles. Most expediters have run similar emergency freight loads at premium prices. Elite and White Glove trucks run some loads that pay closer to air expedite rates. We ain't exactly haulin' cars and RVs out here.

That's a fact,and I happen to know for a fact that certain larger carrier's today are only paying 33% of what they charge the customer to the truck,and when a move is that critical you don't call Mom & Pops,you call a company with the reputation of getting it done. Oh yea, I forgot (I'm so Dumb) most important of all,you don't post a real emergency like that on a load board somewhere,you pick up the phone and all you want to hear is Truck will be there in 15 or 20 minutes.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I had one load that was a 12 pound box. I was told it was a fastener to be used to repair an assembly line at Cat for the big off road only equipment. I was waved around a dozen or so trucks waiting to be cleared and admitted. I was told it cost ~$30k per minute of downtime on that line. I didn't get to see what was in the box and don't know if any of that was correct or not.

I had another load that was a 3 pound box. It was a circuit breaker for Tyson about 200 miles away. It was for a line that was down. I wasn't given $ amounts but was told there are 200 people who should be working on that line who were all standing around. That was when I was running a D unit.

I had one load that was a 9x12 envelope. It had an inch thick set of documents that had to be delivered to the PUC in the capital before noon to avoid a $40M loss.

I don't know what the companies paid for each of those but they were each a bargain and I'd like to have been paid exponentially more on each one considering the situation. They'd have still been a bargain.