What options are well worth the money?

truckertim

Expert Expediter
I am looking at purchasing a new truck. I have looked at the Sterling Acterra, Freightliner M2, and International 4300. So far I lean towards the Sterling with the Mercedes MBE900 280hp. 800tq. engine and 6spd/7spd manual. Although I don't do expediting, I pull a 48' hot shot trailer the truck specs should be similar to what you guys are running. I have owned two trucks in the past a Ford F450 superduty, and a Kenworth T2000. I have never purchased a medium duty truck before, and don't know what options are worth getting and which ones are a waste of money. I want the truck to be enjoyable to drive and reliable for years to come. I will be running around 30,000-36,000lbs. fully loaded, and going in all 48 states. My local dealers don't have any trucks in stock like I would need, only local delivery specs on their units,(test drove an Acterra and seems to drive nice other than with no air ride it rode rough) so I will have to order a truck. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. :)

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Before I get into options, I just want to point out a couple of things here you may not know. The MBE900, like the Cummins ISB and CAT 3126 was not designed as an on highway engine. You can read the brochure on it at www.detroitdiesel.com where you'll find out its a parent bore engine designed to go 500k miles before overhaul. If that's all you need you'll be fine, but it seems like you are pulling a lot of weight for that little engine. Rebuilds on the MBE engines will not be cheap. Better off to spec the Sterling with a wet-sleeved Cummins ISC, or get the International with DT466 which is a wet-sleever. These type of engines hold up much better on the highway and are quite a bit easier and cheaper to rebuild when the time comes. But if 5 years and 500k miles are all you are looking for, the MBE engine should be fine.
There probably aren't too many options you'll need for your application, but for comfort and safety the air brakes and air ride will be worth it. Also large fuel tanks and at least three batteries are a must for highway running.
-Weave-

truckertim

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the advice Weave. I guess I need to way the pro's and con's of spending more upfront for a wet sleeve engine vs. saving a couple grand and going with a non-wet sleeve engine. The International dealer told me that a 4400 with DT530 will run approx. $5-7000 more than a similar spec. Freightliner M2 with the MBE900. The dealer told me that the best transmission for my application would be an Eaton 9spd. He thought it would hold up better than the Eaton 6spd.OD. Any other advise I'll appreciate. There must be someone out there with a new Freightliner M2, Sterling Acterra or International 4400. There seems to be good and bad points to each truck.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The International 4400 with DT530 and 9 speed Eaton non-sync would be the winner by a big margin for your application.. but the price is going to be very close to that of a new class 8 setup. That is where you are best off looking at a smaller late model used class 8 rig. Take my word for it, those hot-shotters running the dually diesel pickups or other similar wimpy equipment are blowing the things up left and right, esp. auto trannies!
-Weave-

jwmeyer

Expert Expediter
Hey Truckertim.

I'm running a 2002 International 4300 with the DT466 and a 6 speed Fuller. Have had some problems with the electrical system in the redesign, and some hydrolic brake problems, as well as an issue with a lot of oil getting into the air system. Over all though, the DT466 is a winner. I'm regularly between 25,000 to 35,000 Gross, and the combo works well. Plenty of power, etc. Hopefully they've worked out some of the bugs for 2003. If you do settle on the Accterra though, let me know how you like it.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
give bill moore a call 800 388 3850 and get a western star
what a truck if it's not a star it's not a truck
great ride lots of room and more engine than you need