What is "having your own authority"?

zanico

Expert Expediter
I'm still learning about this business. I hear a lot of people say they "have thier own authority". What exactly does that mean and how do you get it?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
It is called an operating authority granted by the federal goverment so you can operate as an Interstate carrier.

I am leased to FedEx, I operate under their authority until I am no longer leased with them.

I am working on getting my own but that is a rather long story.

There are companies who do the papaer work for a price, or you can do it yourself. but the biggest obstical I ran into is Insurance - which I am told by many you have to have as soon as you apply or soon after, someone correct me.

fastrod

Expert Expediter
You will need your insurance up front. 300,000 for a van or 750,000 for 10,001 and up. I used Commercial insurance solutions in Akron Oh. real good co. I used permits plus to file for the authority. If you are filing for 10,000 lbs. and under make sure they do not issue you a dot number. You do not need one and it will mess up your authority filing.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
This should sum it up

VERY EXPENSIVE, proabably $3-4K up front for insurance and than waiting up to 60 days to get paid for the first load you did?

= Very deep pockets.... Can you afford to pay for ALL expenses for up to 120 days until the cash flow begins to kick in?

fastrod

Expert Expediter
How about 300 to 400.00 dollars up front for a van. That would include cargo insurance too. Then you can factor your freight bills and have cash flow in a day or two. It is a fairly cheap and easy deal to do in a van.