what is a good inverter

miker

Seasoned Expediter
can anyone give some advice on what a decent inverter cost's and what type to recommend, also what is the best way to hook one up, I'm assuming that you need to install a second battery? I dont plan on running a microwave and a clothes dryer at the same time, haha. but would like to have the ability to use a ceramic heater and maybe a tv. Any advice would be appreciated

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Cobra, Tripp-Lite, Aims, Xantrex. All are good inverters. Modified sine wave inverters are cheaper, like a 2000 Watt one will run you in the $150-$200 range. A pure sine wave will run two to four times that.

If you plan on running a microwave for a few minutes here and there, a 1500 Watt inverter will do. If you want to run the microwave and lights and a TV and other stuff you haven't thought of yet go with 2000 Watts.

If you want to run a ceramic heater, plan on having a ton of batteries (close to it, anyway). That or being really cold most of the time. A small ceramic heater won't keep a cargo van warm. It'll barely take the chill out, provided you have the van extremely well insulated. Depending on the setting of the heater, 1500 Watts or 1000 Watts, it will draw 12.5 amps or 8.3 amps, respectively. But that's at 120 volts. At 12 volts though an inverter you need to multiply that by 10, or 125 amps at 1500 Watts and 83 amps at 1000 Watts. (There's also an additional 10% loss in the inverter during the inversion process).

If you have, for example, one of the Wal Mart Everstart Max marine deep cycle batteries at 125 amp hours, at a 125 amp draw the heater will run for a little less than 45 minutes before you run the battery dead, dead, dead, or about an hour before you run the battery down to 50%. Every time you run the battery down below 50% you will significantly shorten the life of the battery.

A microwave isn't good for a battery, but then again you're not running it for extended periods of time. A few minutes here and there isn't that big a deal. But any resistive heat appliance, like a heater, a 110 volt air conditioner, a dish washer, clothes dryer, those are not well suited at all for 12 volt operations. A 110/120 volt electric heater simply will not come close, not even in the ballpark, to what you need a heater to do out here in a cargo van.

Then again, if you have 2000 amp hours of batteries, which will be roughly 1400 pounds of them (16 Wal Mart batteries), you can run an electric heater quite well for a good 8 hours before you hit the 50% depth of discharge mark. And if you want to do it right, that means 10 of the 6-volt high end AGM deep cycle batteries from Discover-Energy or Concord, at about $500 a pop. That's five grand for batteries, plus another $500 to $1000 for battery cable and specialy cable lugs and all the fuses and getting them all set up to be properly monitored with a battery monitor.

Or, you could use a 1500 Watt inverter for the TV, laptop and lights, a single Wal Mart battery and a simple isolator or battery separator to keep it charged up. To keep warm, pony up the $1500 or so for an Espar heater that will us about a gallon of fuel every 12-15 hours.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I'm guessing you're in a van. For what you listed, I'd recommend a 1000 to 1500 watt. We have 1000, and run the tv, PS2, computer, cooler, and headphone charger at once. Definitely get more inverter than you think you'll use. As far as an extra battery, I can only say that I would. Maybe even two more.

Good gawd, I feel stupid for posting this!
Thanx Turtle. :p

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I found a lot of useful info on the Inverters R Us website: how to determine how much I need, what kind, and what it would cost, too.
It sure helped me feel less stoopid when Turtle described "pure sine inverters" and "isolators", lol. :D

miker

Seasoned Expediter
me and my son use to race motorcycles and used to stay in our cargo trailer during the day at the races while waiting for our class to race, this was in ohio in the dead of winter which was pretty darn cold and the ceramic heater that I had did a pretty good job, the only thing is that is was always plugged into a generator or they had electric hook ups there. so do I understand correctly that a ceramic heater will just flat run the batteris down too fast?

how does this espar heater work, do you keep the van running while sitting? if so do you need a vent in the roof to keep from visiting the angels from carbon monoxide?
"To keep warm, pony up the $1500 or so for an Espar heater that will us about a gallon of fuel every 12-15 hours."

thanks for all the info this site and everyone on it is great

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Yes, while a ceramic heater, or any electrical heater for that matter, may keep you warm when it's running all the time, because the amp draw of such a resistive heat appliance is so high, and sucks the amps out of the batteries so fast, you couldn't have enough batteries in the van to keep it running for any length of time at all. You could perhaps run it for 10 minutes every hour, and do that for 8 or 10 hours, but that's about it.

An Espar heater is a self-contained engine, a little heater about the size of a shoe box. You do not need to idle the vehicle's engine, as the Espar runs on it's own, and uses electricity from an auxiliary battery. The electrical draw is pretty minimal, proably an average of 1-2 amp hours per hour over an 8 hour time span. Comes in diesel and gasoline models. It is mounted on the floor of the van and gets hooked directly into your fuel tank. It has its own exhaust pipe that is directed out the bottom of the vehicle. The heated air output is ducted with 3 1/2" or 4" round duct. There are two models, the Airtronic 2 and the Airtronic 4, with the #2 model being the smaller of the two. The Airtronic 2 costs roughly $1500 installed, give or take $100, and the Airtronic 4 is roughly $2000.

Read here:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...ar-d2-cargo-van.html?highlight=airtronic+amps

miker

Seasoned Expediter
interesting, I'll google that and see if i can find anyone in my area that installs these

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Espar of Michigan in Romulus is the place to have it installed. Most any Clark Diesel and many Thermoking places can install it, or you can install it yourself, for that matter, but you really will want someone who has installed it in vans, lots of them, as many as possible, and Ray and the folks up at Espar of Michigan are hands down the best.

A list of dealers can be had here:
Espar - Dealer U.S. - Vehicle

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Most Private Garages will do this. I-77 N.C. MM 100 there is a large Truck Stop (Mt.Airy) they replaced my old one cause the cables were bad and I purchased another Invertor thinking the invertor was bad when it was the cables. No regrets sold the old Invertor.

Battery Cables was different issue. Purchase NEW wires (road pro) about $20.00 at any Pilot.

The Cobra 1,500/3,000 Max has done an outstanding job, Microwave ONLY, Coffee pot, plus toaster stretches its limits. Price on sale at Loves $99.00.