What happened to VOI?

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
It looks like TEANA has suspended its Verification of Insurance program. I wonder what has happened. Did they verify a company that didn't have the proper insurance? I wonder what the legal ramifications will be for certifying a carrier that ends up getting into a major accident and does not have the proper insurance? I saw a few multi-carrier companies that were VOI before they suspended the program. I wonder what kind of issues they were having to have been advised to suspend the program by their legal department. I know the insurance monitoring is very lax in the trucking industry. Most 3PL's and brokers only check a carriers insurance once a year - which is usually right after the renewal date. Technically anyone can cancel their insurance and actually get away with operating on an outdated insurance certificate for an entire year before anyone would be the wiser. No one goes through their partner carrier list every few weeks and looks them up on the safer web to see if they still have insurance. I would be really nervous handing out endorsements to anyone that they had the proper insurance due to liability issues. Any how, I'm very interested to see what kind of revised program TEANA comes up with to replace the previous program. I guess time will tell!

Here is a link: http://www.teana.org/verification-of-insurance

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
Probably Shelly from CIS had to much work verifying all the insurances plus a lot of companies has insurances thru other agencies. I guess she did not like that...

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
VOI is only as good as the agencies that subscribe to it....there is NO guarantee even after verification the same thing won't happen...IF other companies don't report instantly any changes to a policy its all out the window...and many small carriers are not going to join TEANNA just for VOI...and pay their fee just so they can say they are VOI approved....

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
And hopefully more shippers will stop using non VOI carriers.
Thats where we split opinion....AS far as I know my carrier has no intention of joining the club. recruiting ploy of paying something like the $2,000 fee to join....VOI is a farce IMO

Reactions: TSexpediter

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Insurance fraud hurts all of us big, small or single units. Anything that attempts to reduce it is good in my book..

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Insurance fraud hurts all of us big, small or single units. Anything that attempts to reduce it is good in my book..
I agree on that....I'd be more agreeable IF Teanna did VOI without the required membership fee...think about it...it like being forced into a union with the promise of better wages....IMO of course....IF they truly want to make the industry better just do VOI for the good of business over all thats what some keep promoting.....without the red tape of membership?...thats all I am saying Xig...

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I agree on that....I'd be more agreeable IF Teanna did VOI without the required membership fee...think about it...it like being forced into a union with the promise of better wages....IMO of course....IF they truly want to make the industry better just do VOI for the good of business over all thats what some keep promoting.....without the red tape of membership?...thats all I am saying Xig...
The argument you are making is AAA should be giving out free 200 mile tows and reimbursements for breakdowns to people without making them pay the Premium membership fee to join AAA.

Not sure why you'd do that as there are two PDF files on the TEANA site that tell you exactly what the issues are and why they have suspended the program.

TSexpediter

Seasoned Expediter
The argument you are making is AAA should be giving out free 200 mile tows and reimbursements for breakdowns to people without making them pay the Premium membership fee to join AAA.

Not sure why you'd do that as there are two PDF files on the TEANA site that tell you exactly what the issues are and why they have suspended the program.
Sorry ,I did not see it.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

no..what I am meaning is they are offering protection for a fee...join our group or you'll not be protected....we have a union of carriers opps association:p that will try and pressure you out....

mdpettrey

Seasoned Expediter
Xiggi is correct when saying it is suspended and not discontinued. The VOI is coming back and will be better than before. I truly believe it will help our industry as a whole and help protect shipper, brokers, and carriers all in one. I will tell you this when you create something good, there are always people out there to try and cheat and ruin a positive thing. The VOI is a voluntary program, that involves a lot of work with random audits throughout the year of members that are VOI approved. TIA, Smartway, ISO, StayMetrics, are also organization that helps its members but they are not free. I have to say unless you are doing more that 20 million a year then membership will not cost you $2000.00 a year to be a member....I have listed the actual costs below.

$600 annual dues (Under $2,000,000 in revenue)

$750 annual dues ($2,000,001 to $10,000,000 in revenue)

$1,200 annual dues ($10,000,001 to $19,999,000 in revenue)

$2,000 annual dues ($20,000,000 plus in revenue)

TEANA is a small but growing non profit association that needs as many good members as possible to help keep our industry strong and moving in the right direction.

IMO....;)

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
no..what I am meaning is they are offering protection for a fee...join our group or you'll not be protected....we have a union of carriers opps association:p that will try and pressure you out....

All member groups have benifits that's how things work. To suggest they offer it for free is like saying preventive medicine should be free. Next your gonna want places to cut your hotdogs in half for you, lol.

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
so you'd prefer to pay union dues to some group for benefits? Like the UAW? thats what your supporting in theory....I must join a group that offers a non guaranteed service?....