What does everyone think of this as a back up truc

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
RE: What does everyone think of this as a back up

Have you looked at the MPG between the cab over shaker you were considering & this Volvo? I'm gonna take a guess & say yes? The Cab Over as one person said so elequently has fuel mileage measured in Gallons Per Mile, where a Conventional will have it Miles Per Gallon. This Volvo your showing looks decent, what kind of tranny is that as it's not in your post. The maintenance on it will be easier than on the Cabover no doubt though-Not to mention the comfort level.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member

Looks like it sold quick on e-bay. Probably not so much as a useable truck, but most likely had $4300 of resellable components if parted out.
-Weave-

splitload

Expert Expediter

Just a personal opinion, but wouldn't make more econmic sense to rent a tractor from Ryder or Penkse, when you need a back up instead of buying a truck. Insurance, maint, licensing etc are included and if it breaks they come to you and fix it or replace it.

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

I've done it in the past but with millage charges its up to $500 a day for a rental. It doesnt take long to rack up a $4000+ bill there.

2 1999 Sterling Semis
2000 Ford F650 24ft box truck

D Green

Expert Expediter

SO, you've said ya'll come to Tx some, ever near Houston? If so, you might check out the url below. This man has about 200 acres of used trucks. Last year, I counted over 800!! JBHunt cabovers. He buys from all the major lines, & wholesales out to public, most go overseas. Many pics at the url, under inventory..

http://www.donvanordenequipment.com

Dennis

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

That places sounds great, I'll have my driver check that out next time he's down there. We drop off in Conroe, TX which is real close to Houston.

2 1999 Sterling Semis

D Green

Expert Expediter

Heck Sterling, just tell him to go west on SH105, past the lake, just before Montgomery, on the left, top of a hill.

Check out my profile. When you or yours ever is in the area, coffee/drinks are on me. I actually live in the area of Cut & Shoot, Tx.

Dennis

Sterling_owner

Expert Expediter

Cool, thanks. After I posted about going to Conroe, I looked at the map on their site and saw it was in Conroe.

2 1999 Sterling Semis