what?? CB/Radios are you using??

walldawg

Expert Expediter
Just wanted a poll of what radios or communications equipment drivers are using . ie: CB what type or brand ,Antennas, Ham Radio Maybe.

I Love Gadgets

Walldawg

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Cheap Radio Shack units..$50-60 and a $20.00 antenna,but you must tune it.Seems to work just as well as $120 Cobra!s.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I’ve had some nice radios but I like the Galaxy. The 99 is the biggest with the most toys but the toys take away from the performance of the radio. The 88 is a 99 with out all the toys. If you are looking to buy a radio the Galaxy 88 is a good one. It will put out 35watts barefoot. I run a 66, that only puts out 25 watts barefoot. I had it tuned to dead key at 4watts then swing. I had the modulation chip removed to stop the radio from squalling. I also run a Texas Star 500 high drive kicker, with the radio. I receive and transmit threw a Wilson 5000 base mag mount antenna. The setup I run cost me about $600 and I can be heard up to 30 miles, and can receive a good 20 miles.

rollnthunder

Expert Expediter
I have had just about all the galaxy,Rci,connex radios...mobiles and base units...All the mobiles i have had usually do just about the same on watts...I have the same tech work on them..He opens the radio and peaks and tunes it while i wait..HEs also a good friend of mine..The 99 is a good radio for the toys but when you start cranking it up and put a power mic on then you sometimes have a feed back issue and that can be fixed...I had a 99 doing 45 watts...After Eric got done with it..But when i put a power mic on it down the road it wanted to sqeal so i had to back the mic gain down and not drive it so hard...If you running barefoot then its not a problem haveing a radio that screams..But if your driving a linear then dont over drive that box or it will be going in the shop and getting fixed...I only wish my tech was still in bussiness he closed up and i have not heard from him in some time now..so i have to find another good tech i can trust

NEVERHOME247

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I had a General Lee. Was a great radio. But got lucky on the cherry master in El Paso a few months back. So I got a Galaxy 99. Which I am running now. Had to get it converted and peaked and tuned. I run Texas Star 220 Skeleton linear amp. Use a Turner Road King mic and 1 Wilson 5000 antenna. I'm pleased with the set up. However I don't get the full effect of the radio. Due to I run a small inverter to power my fridge. Which creates an enormous amount of rf noise. So I have to crank the squelch way up to hide the noise.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I've played the same radio for about 10 years... in truck, van, didn't matter, same setup.. and it is in my personal vehicle now.

It's an old Cobra 29 LTD classic with talkback and Superstar Echo Power mic. I know there are a lot more powerful radios out there, but this one sounds good as long as the echo level is low, keying around 4 swinging 15 or so, and I run it through a Francis 5 foot fiberglass whip.

Wild Bill

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
Mine is a Cobra 29 with sound tracker, been peaked and tuned with talk back. It is 5 years old and still in almost new condition. Barely ever on....lol

Bluesman

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
RCI 2950 barefoot into a (van) rooftop Wilson 5000. I enjoy chasing DX while tooling down the highway. Channel 19 is good for keeping up with highway conditions etc. but seems like if I listen there too long it just increases my stress level. (Hmmmm... wonder if I'm alone in that respect?) I've tried several antenna's and the 5000 is surely worth the extra few bucks paid. I DETEST roger beeps and echo mics and all that so-called BIG radio toy clutter. (No flaming pls). lol
Anyway if you're out there and hear the band open up you might roll up to 27.535 lsb and say g'day.
73' from CM 3866

Bigtyme

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I have a Palomar Red Devil 350 HD linear I would consider selling if anyone is looking, It has very low use maybe a month or so in my pickup truck 350 strong watts in very good condition a couple hundred bucks would put her in your rig. I don't use one in my rig because I never have my CB on anymore, If interested email me at [email protected] ... thanks, Andy