What a goof up I did !

drivingmecrazy

Seasoned Expediter
Delivered a load to Cambridge, On then DH ourselves to Toronto... went to bed early - happy to know we were first out/ and the only team! This was a Thursday night- so pretty much we would be getting out the next day... Yeah!!!!
Got a load offer- woke us up out of a dead sleep, Load was picking up in ON- and going to Alabama 646 miles at 2:00 am- Great we live close by we will be home for the week-end!!!!!
I can not tell you the sick feeling I got after accepting the load- when I went back to review it- it was not ON- but it was OH- It didn't have any miles listed where it shows how many miles to shipper... It was 345 mile dead head !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I tried to explain to dispatch- but they held us to it- I know bottom line it was my fault.
But have you ever just been so mad with your carrier while driving down the road- that your body doesn't even need sleep! LOL I kept thinking didn't they have any trucks in Ohio, Ind, Mi ??? Who would have thought they would even try us so far away? If we would have said no now that I think about it- it would have put us at the bottom of the board? Who wants to be stuck in Canada all weekend- so you try so very hard to position yourself in good areas, keep DH miles down- and then crap offers can knock the wind right out of your sail! Have you ever accepted a load by accident?

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
yepp many times....if ever dispatch calls before it comes over the qc and you were sleeping chances are good that its a messed up load....

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
kind of same cenario,load came over qc thought said going to ohio,nope ontario,and i dont mean california,we were in chicago at the time,so bit the bullit and went to ontario,there is a good part of this,loaded in toranto and went to los angeles

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Now you're singin the QC blues. :D

Being that they had no dh miles to the shipper, it appears they were trying to con you, and it worked. I'm guessing it was picking up in Cambridge, OH? Plus, the first thing that would've set the load alarm off in my head is that it was only a 646 mi load to Alabama? But I understand about the zzz factor. I hate trying to do business with those bugs flying around in my brain.

Hint... if you're sleepy and they send you a qc load, splash water on your face before you accept it. If they call and you're out of it, tell them to give you five so you can wake up and call back.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yep, been there and done that. I try to make small talk to wake up a bit if it comes in by phone or just take as long as I can for a Clink offer. Bet I screw up more too. I am good at things like that. By the way, who gave you permission to make my kind of mistake? Layoutshooter

pelicn

Veteran Expediter
We had one come in (woken from a sound sleep) accepted, thinking we had to pick it up quick. Looked again....pick up the next day. :eek: Tried to get layover, nope..already accepted. Sheeeeesh

See? You aren't the only one to be afflicted with the foggy brain syndrome. :D

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
it was not ON- but it was OH-

Well that just plain STINKS! Did it say 'where' in 'ON' it was to pickup?? Who are you signed on with, do you mind saying? Just curious what kinda carrier would ask you to do that kinda dh!

Last edited:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Or......you are wide awake sitting somewhere like Chicago and they send you numerous offers at the same time and you wind up accepting the wrong one:eek:

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
reading all the postings here.....
i have done .......
all of the above....... LOL
thank god.... i am not a lone on this one....

but that 1st post........ no wonders your being drivin crazy...... LOL
thats a hell of a lot of DH,......

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Our worst mistake ever was accepting a load going to Manhattan up to the Bronx multiple pickups going to North Carolina and was a return trip. In express we rarely see either of these scenario’s so did not check on the QUALCOMM screen to see that yep the correct boxes were checked it was our error to accept. Wow was that the trip from you know where. Pretty much cured us of wanting to go back there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
We accepted one of those "mutiple stop loads" in The Bronx/Manhatten area on purpose. Caught us at a weak monment. We had been sitting for 15 hours and we were getting "itchy" for a load offer. Did not turn out to be too bad. They parked us for 3 days and the customer came to us!! We really lucked out on that one. You know what they say, "sometimes you're the windshield and sometimes you're the bug" Layoutshooter

arrbsthw

Expert Expediter
Worst load we ever took was a 3 drop to Hapauge NY.
1st drop was Bronx, 2nd was queens and last was on Long
Island. We went into NY at 3:00 am so we would be at
1st drop by 8:00. at 7:30 we had to call Fedx to lead us
to delivery location.. they road they had us routed to turn
on was no longer there and an amtrack rail was in it's place.

We finished about 5 pm and were worn out. It took both of
us to do this load.

So if anyone asks you to take a load to Hapauge BEWARE!

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
I have done all of the above. That's why I decided to NEVER accept a load over the phone. Send it over the QC and I could look at it. That's when you see that it is OH and not ON, or PU on Mon, not Sunday.

morningstar55ny

Veteran Expediter
Driver
i got a load offerd to me.... last weeek.....
i was in NJ near philly area.....
it was picking up like 45 miles away and going to NYC......
now mind u ... it gave NO address in NYC .... the load had to go to the corner of 39th and 11th streets....... ummmmm with something like 78 total miles.... i did not accept it.
the whole thing seemed like it would be a load from hell... lol
and would of took up my whole friggin day to do it im sure.