Wet weather blues

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It rained yesterday, also today it's raining. I went out to start my van this morning and it wouldn't fire. Or it did, ran like garbage for a few seconds and then shut down.

After getting the doghouse off, my landlord brought out his heater and we aimed that at the distributor and the coil. With some difficulty we got the engine to start (it had flooded some into the bargain) and run. It smoothed out, and we heard quite a good bit of high-tension sparking for a couple of minutes. Then that went away as the engine dried out.

I've replaced the cap and the rotor, both of which have seen high mileage and needed replacing. I'm not sure what else may need to be replaced before this is over and done with, in times past wet ignition troubles and bum coils seem to have gone together. Not sure if I ought to replace that critter too. Any ideas?

Right now, with the new cap and rotor, it runs smoothly enough.

Edit; add-on: I should mention this is a 1998 Chevy Express, 2500, with the 5.7 engine.

Last edited:

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Replace the plug wires. They can arc in damp, humid weather. Also, carry a can of WD40. This can be sprayed to disperse moisture in the cap and rotor.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I as well would go with both the plugs and the wires. Opt for good wires, not the cheapest.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I imagine I will have to replace wires, anyway. They were last replaced a year ago last August, since then they've seen more than 100,000 miles. I might be wise to have the plugs replaced rather than doing it myself, if one sticks it can be a bear to get out and that could be a job for a pro. The wire from the coil to the cap is most suspect, it carries high voltage more than any other wire and it passes close to a metal pipe.

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
I agree. Been awhile since I ran a gasser and don't have problems with plugs, wires, rotor and cap, but know all too well that investing in good wires pays off. Had a very similar wet problem in a Ford van with a gas engine once and just drying things and changing the wires solved it.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I remember when I drove the Sprinter, that I didn't miss wet-weather ignition problems. Instead, I had to concern myself with fuel that would gel when the weather gets cold--- unless you pour stuff into the fuel to keep that from happening. A full tank of fuel is no good if it's gelled.

So, name your poison. Gasoline engines have to contend with wet-weather difficulties (I understand this is modified somewhat in newer designs, so it's not so bad), and diesels require a bit of fuel alchemy if you expect to start when the temps are near zero F.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Get a set of Napa's best ignition wires with the lifetime guarantee and new spark plugs. Replace the wires and plugs every 100,000 miles.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Quickie update: Last weekend, I did replace the cap and the rotor. The rotor had visible carbon tracking, and while the cap didn't show obvious defects it still seemed best to replace it. Since then, I've been driving in some really wet weather, it's sat overnight in heavy rain, and no problems so it looks as though the cap and rotor were the problem. I had some thought that the coil could be suspect, in times past when I've had wet-weather problems the coil was the place to look. Nope, it seems to be OK if this week is any indication.

Now, the only thing left to do is to replace the wires and plugs-- not because they're in any way faulty, but because they've got 100,000 miles on them. Most information I can get on the subject says it's due at 100,000 miles.