Westmicher's New XLT 10 Project Begins!

BigCat

Expert Expediter
Aluminum requires different type of wire and heat setting than steel. Aluminum will melt if you try welding with settings for steel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Sorry, we were out running hard making a little cash to pay the bills! The frame extension is steel, made to the same size/specs as the original frame. The wheels are American Racing AR-23 style 16" x 7" x 8 bolt 6.5" dia. bolt circle. It was very difficult to find a 7" wide wheel with the proper bolt holes/spacing, especially with enough weight rating. As long as it looks, there are many motorhomes with a lot more hanging off behind the axle!!! Of course, you won't find us loading 6,000 lbs right on the tail either, it has to be loaded properly!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Wow! You folks are tough on chefdennis today! So I thought we'd better give you an update so he can get a little rest!

Our expert welder is in the hospital having back surgery today (not my fault!) so we are at a bit of a standstill for a few weeks but here's what we've done so far:
350 side.jpg350 tail.jpg350 rear.jpg350 front form.jpg350 beam.jpg350 outlet.jpg

A few details to get you started; the front still has to be notched so it can rest about 2" lower than you see it, the outlet is just the beginning of the electrical system, several more outlets and a couple of switches will be added so we can run either generator, inverter, or shore power anywhere in the truck withour cords laying everywhere, the cargo retainer beams also contain the electrical system, the heat sheilds will allow insulation in the floor below the plywood.

I can't guess all the other questions you might have so ask away!

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I take it those wheels are up to the task of carrying some weight? More importantly, what are you gonna call this thing? We need a name.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
The tires are rated 3,420 lbs. each and the wheels are rated 3,500 lbs. so I should be fine. Of course I wouldn't load it "tail-heavy" by leaving any substantial weight aft of the rear axle enough to be a problem.

Because I'm cerifying the final assembly, I've formed "XLT10, LLC" and purchased www.xlt10.com in case I get really weird and want to build these things for other owners. But don't check the web site yet - there isn't anything on it. I haven't decided if I want to build more of these yet! :rolleyes:

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
What does the "certifying the final assembly" involve? Do you mean similar to what say cargomaxx does?

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
I almost forgot. She's at 4,965 lbs. right now, and the rest of the body structure is pretty light as all the strength is going to be in what you see, once the welder is healthy anyway.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
What does the "certifying the final assembly" involve? Do you mean similar to what say cargomaxx does?

Well, yes and no. It is the same process BUT my chassis is already rated exactly 10,000 lbs. GVW so no downrating is needed. I didn't want to chance anything. No possible DOT problems here.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can't guess all the other questions you might have so ask away!

Okay here goes, but first, this is looking great! Especially weight-wise.

Questions:

Will you be adding a roof mount wind fairing over the cab?

The electrical outlet in pic. #6, where is it located and what is its purpose?

More questions to follow. Keep up the excellent work and thank you for sharing your build with us.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Questions:

Will you be adding a roof mount wind fairing over the cab?

The electrical outlet in pic. #6, where is it located and what is its purpose?

More questions to follow. Keep up the excellent work and thank you for sharing your build with us.

Yes, a super trick wind fairing is planned. I'm hoping it works! Otherwise I have a plan B.

There are two outlets near the rear of the box, mostly for anything I haven't thought of, maybe a cargo winch? There will also be shore power at the driver's rear as I use that often now at good campgrounds (rather than truckstops). There will be other outlets near the front and switches for shore power, generator power, or inverter/batteries. I tend to overbuild the electrical to avoid any chance of cords laying all over. The electrical should be super neat.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Get my two cents worth in.
Great job welding and extending the frame. I know the comments will come about GVW, logging all the junk but I think it would really cool with a drop axle behind the live axle. Just throwing ideas around. Can't wait to see the final results.

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
Sorry about the delay on updates! The truck's progress was postponed while my welder guy had surgery and healed. He's ready to get back to work now and we may even be able to get home to oversee it. Updates within a couple of weeks!

westmicher

Veteran Expediter
We finally got back to the project! My welder guy is healed up and we were having a slow week so we started framing the box and finished the step/fork lift stop/anti-submarine steel assembly at the extreme lower rear of the vehicle.
E350 Front Box Begins.jpgE350 Rear Box Begins.jpgE350 Side Box Halfway.jpgE350 Side Box Halfway 2.jpgE350 Rear Box Halfway.jpg

guido4475

Not a Member
This looks so nice! I can't wait to see it when it is finished, and thank you, for sharing the in-progress pictures as well.One idea that a friend of mine has incorporated into all of his Ford Spartan body vans as well as mine, is that we cut an access hole in the wood floor, around 12 inches square, that allows us to get to the fuel pump on top of the tank from inside the van without removing the tank.The 3 planks we cut out were put back into place, and screwed down.So it only takes 6 screws to get to the top of the tank.A real time and money saver down the road.