Welcome New Moderator - Terry O'Connell

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Please welcome our newest Moderator to the EO forums - Terry O'Connell, a long time personal friend and supporter of EO.

Terry and I go way back to the days of Roberts Express. When we first started developing a site dedicated to expediting - Terry offered many creative ideas and suggestions. He and Rene have been very instrumental in the success of this site.

Terry was the first person we invited to moderate these forums - in 1999, it took him almost 6 years to accept our invitation. We are very proud to have him join our team of moderators.

I have asked Terry for a brief Bio of himself...

Having retired from the US Coast Guard after 30 years service, I entered the wonderful world of expediting in 1989. I did neither research nor a business plan; I bought a conversion van, had it ok'd by the local recruiter and was off and running. My wife and co-driver, Rene', and I had no trucking experience, received no orientation and learned the ropes in a forum similar to this site.

That forum was groups of Roberts Express drivers gathered over coffee at any number of Union 76 truck stops. We have always driven vans and always for FedEx Custom Critical and its forebear Roberts Express. I am neither an experienced mechanic nor member of the computer literati; however, I have gleaned a fair amount of information about this business and its people.

I have been associated with Lawrence and his team since the inception of the site and my interest in sharing my experiences has never waned. I trust that Lawrence's faith in my ability to be a helpful addition to the moderator team will prove right.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/terryand_rene.jpg

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
Welcome aboard you two! Your knowledge and wit will be exciting to read! I consider you a freind, and fellow survivor of this wonderful industry. Remember to keep it light, and please add some of your humor to your answers! Thanks again for joining in!

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I am pleased to finally see that mug on this site.My wife and I have known Terry and Renee since 1989 when we both ran for Roberts Express. We first met up with them in TN when we were dispatched on a load that our 1986 Mercedes Benz 1117 with 170 HP could not carry due to the weight.This load went to the Ford Plant in Sterling Heights MI and we had to remove 1 pallet, and Tery and Renee showed up to take it and beat us to the delivery. We shared breakfast in Mcdonalds and have been friends ever since. We have been in their home many times and they have been in ours. My wife ,Mary ,and Renee have also become close friends,but when they get together in Mo or FL or on the road the credit card bills can get interestering.LOL
One interesting thing is that every year we bet a dinner on the Super Bowl. I have eaten well,nuff said. Physically we are different,Terry has me by about 6 -7 inches in height but for some reason ,when we are together on the road the females seem to run from him and come to me ..LOl. Could it be that I get better looking every day?? Who Knows
Seriously this man brings a wealth of experience to this forum and will be an asset for sure.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Enjoy reading alot of your posts. Welcome aboard. It is amazing how just about everyone has had a relationship with Roberts Express. The good old days:)

catfish

Expert Expediter
welcome aboard terry. your knowledge and sense of humor will be appreciated here. i had the opportunity to hang out with you on several occasions when i had a van leased on with conway. i left the business for family reasons two years ago, but i still check out this site from time to time.
sincerely,
john from ohio

JeffJensen

Moderator Emeritus
There's no doubt that Terry and Rene are great folks!

It's also well-known that Terry is an experienced and knowledgeable expediter.

But, have you ever noticed that he never seems to be there when the tab for the coffee comes around?

And, have you ever parked your van next to him in the parking lot and awoke in the morning to find your wheel covers missing?

OK, enough innuendo, but do yourself a favor and keep your hand over your wallet when he's within 6 feet of you.

blucolr

Expert Expediter
Welcome Terry. I'm still new to this forum, but in the short time I've been reading your posts I've picked up some very usefull info. and hope to meet you and Rene' soon!

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Thank you all for the kind words and vote of confidence; I trust I can meet your expectations.

For Jeff J: Your wallet can be claimed where you dropped it...Larry Flynt's Hustler Club in Sauget, Il

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
You've been a great addition to the board Terry.. glad you decided to come into cyberland!

Glad to have you as a moderator now!

Dreamer

[font color="blue"]
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird, people take prozac to make it normal.[/font]​