weigh stations and log books

taciturn

Expert Expediter
What groups of trucks are required to keep log books and stop at the weigh stations? I'm still trying to figure the pros and cons of the "B" and "C" size units. Everyone seems to have different opinions on which is better and which one they see more of out there. Anyone know of people renting a truck (to start their own business) and going it alone without a Panther II or Landstar on the side of the truck? (just examples)

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I will attempt to answer this. If anyone finds what I write incorrect, correct me please.

OK first the magic figure is 10,000 pounds GVW. Remember that.

The second thing is anything under 10,000 lbs GVW generally don’t have to log or scale in most states. I know that Kentucky does require any commercial vehicle to scale. I know there is a state or two that do require logs, I forget which ones.

Now renting a truck, forget about it. The problem with that is that you have to have those infamous numbers on the side of the truck to haul any freight other than your own personal property and a rental agency will not allow that at all. They have to be you numbers, not the rental agency’s numbers. What I understand is required is that you have control of the assets, the truck, that you use to haul freight, which means a lease, contract to use or you own the truck in order to get these numbers. These numbers are your authority to do business hauling freight for profit. Someone else can answer what that is all about and how to get it. I would explain further if I knew, sorry.

The other factor involved is insurance, I would recommend you search this site for that information. Without insurance you shouldn’t haul a thing and actually may get caught and lose everything.

As for a b or c unit, I run a b unit and love it. But with that said, I have seen a couple really cool c units that also have a sleeper and are under 10,000 lbs. they can’t take the 3000 lbs loads I can take, but the room they have in the cargo area makes up for it. I guess the best of both worlds is the sprinter. A 158 WB high top sprinter is an excellent choice.

As a side bar, D-C is considering importing the Vario cargo van, which can haul up to 16,000 lbs with a choice of engines and transmissions. I drove one and I liked it but D-C needs to work on the parts distribution before anyone considers it.

Hope this helps.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
10,001 pounds or more gvw and you must log. A very few states require vans to log at all times. Vans must always log if hauling hazmat. You can't run in a rented truck. Even if you could you'd never make enough to cover the rental expense. Almost all companies consider a C unit having 5000 pounds cargo capacity, dock high, and DOT legal sleeper unit. A few may use different load capacity requirements but the rest will be the same. Discussions, aka arguments, will fly as to b, c, or d unit. I believe the d unit is most effective because it earns the highest revenue per loaded mile and can carry b, c, or d size freight. I've run many many runs in my d unit that were b or c size but I was the only game in town so I got the run. Good luck to you whichever way you go.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
in va if it say all com vchle have to cross the scales
on 58 w/e there is a weigh station and in a sprinter have to cross the scales as it say all comm vch must cross

in 64 w at sand stone have to cross only west
and 13 n have to cross n/s

if you have new york plates suppose to log all the time
or driving in new york state again suppose to
and i think other state is al

JohnMueller

Staff member
Motor Carrier Executive
Safety & Compliance
Carrier Management
Logs are required of ALL vehicles used commercially in the state of Alabama (that means cargo vans!)
Thanks,
HotFr8Recruiter

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The problem I have heard of in a state like Alabama is showing them what you have done previously. I say that their state law does not compell me to log in another state. So, if I have'nt been in Alabama in the last 10 days, it's none of their bussiness. Disscuss.....

chaz

Expert Expediter
I think the way I was told is that you have to back up your log book 7 days.So when you go into Alabama,I suppose your log books should show previous 7 days.Does anyone know if this is correct?
Chaz

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I want to throw something in the discussion here, electronic logs. Chaz said “back up your log book 7 days” which just reminded me about the electronic logs.

I had heard this several times; electronic logs are all right and many truckers use them. Maybe some of you do but I have not read anywhere that the DOT or the states officially accepted them as a way to log. This means that I they, the DOT and state, wants to be mean about it, you can be cited for not logging at all.

I know that from a government IT point of view, the present software is not acceptable by any means and I searched for any validation submissions to the DOT for any software and only found the logging systems that are part of the truck. I think this is why we will see automatic logging in the trucks some day.

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Electronic logs are acceptable as long as you can print them right there if requested. AL will require the full 8 days on the logs just as CD&E units must have 8 days on demand, otherwise go around the state its their law you must obey or avoid.

I do not like it but it is what it is. Unfair since others do not require it but they do.

If you know for sure please correct me this is my understanding and I was paying pretty close attention to this one at orientation even though I do not drive a B.