Watch out for Wendys at Pilot Lodi Ohio

HoboOfTheHwy

Expert Expediter
I delivered a load to Wellington,Ohio,Monday night.After that I drove to Pilot,in Lodi,off I 71. I ate 2 crispy chicken sandwiches and cup of chili,about 8 pm.Tuesday morning,at 5:30 am,I was passing it both ways.I couldn't make inside the Pilot,I had just enough time to open the van door,and blow chunks.About 8 am,I decided not to stick around after the 3 round and started for home.I got 47 miles,and I was exhausted,I pulled over to rest.It took me till 3 pm to get home.I have been under the weather ever since with food poisoning and flu like symtoms.I feel terrible.I will never eat there ever again ! There is a nasty bug going around I hear.Hope y'all week has better than mine !:-(

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Based on what I heard on the news, Everybody should avoid lettuce for a while. It seems to be the source of food poisoning problems lately.

Hobo, I hope you get to feeling better!

Scott

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Redy... and your point is? ;)

I need those calories to do the all-nighters other expediters don't want. :7

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Hobo, you may be right, it was the food you ate that made you sick, but it could just as easily have been a virus - something airborne, when someone sneezed near you, or even lurking on a door handle. Viruses can survive for quite awhile on surfaces, which is why it's wise to wash your hands frequently - it could have been on the change you got after paying. You put the money in your pocket, and then put your hands on your sandwich....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Buffet at most truck stops. Where have all those hands been? It is frightning when you just sit back and observe.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
One day last week, I stopped at McDonald's to get a bag of ice, and while waiting for it, I noticed that the workers assembling the food weren't wearing gloves - glad I don't get food there! (I'm pretty sure they don't scoop ice with bare hands).
Aren't food handlers required to wear gloves while handling food?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
nope, they can get away with washing their hands when doing food prep.

I was in FL and went to taco bell. normally I try to avoid healthy food like that but had a White Castle craving.

Anyway I am ordering when the lady in front of me told the girl taking my order to get the manager NOW. She didn't move fast enough and the lady yelled at her. the Manager came and she told him that she is shutting the place down because of the guy making the tacos has an open wound (yuk) and she is a health inspector for Dade county.

with ten people in line, myself ordering, she told everyone that the place was shut down leave except me. she took my name (for what I have no clue) and all those who got food got a refund before they left the place. The manager was told he will be fined as will Taco Bell. She said all the food in the area will have to be dump in the garbage and everythign cleaned. What are the chances of a health inspector eating at taco bell?

Well it is just like the WalMart I went to the other day, the guy stocking the frozen food section was throwing the bags of food on the eisle floor - the traffic part. I complained but nothing ever happened.

the other day I was at a Pilot and the girl started my order (I always get it toasted so mine was in the toaster) and then proceded to take the next order, some egg sandwich. she dipped the ladle into the eggs and some sprinkeled into the lettuce. I mentioned that she spilled some into the lettuce and she needs to replace the lettuce. She said that it was alright, I said no f****** way is it alright and started to yell at her telling her I am allergic to eggs and it is a health hazard to boot. I was really ##### off with the attitude she had about my safety (and no I am not allergic to eggs, just bactiera).

I ran across this while I was going through the news.

Young people who cook at home eat better (DUH!)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20061214/hl_nm/cook_home_dc

Well Hobo, hope you feel better.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Y'all know that Taco Bell is responsible for another nasty E coli outbreak, traced to the scallions (green onions) recently?
Funny how this life changes your outlook: I used to hate cooking most of the time, as it came at the end of the workday, when I didn't want to do it - now, I'm making beef stew & dumplings, and enjoying the cooking - not just the eating, lol.
My family still doesn't understand why going out to eat is the LAST thing I want to do when I'm home!

FireGears

Expert Expediter
Had food poisoning twice!

Here is a EMS tip for upset stomach/food poisoning...

Get some activated charcoal capsules and take as necessary.

This has "saved" me (and mine) more than once.

The activated charcoal encapsulates most toxins and
prevents serious reactions... ie: "food poisoning".

It will also prevent spicy foods from causing an upset stomach.

I have found these capsules in health food stores and
on vitamin sale websites....

FireGears - wishing you good health and safe driving

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
> One day last week, I stopped at McDonald's to get a bag of
>ice, and while waiting for it, I noticed that the workers
>assembling the food weren't wearing gloves - glad I don't
>get food there! (I'm pretty sure they don't scoop ice with
>bare hands).
> Aren't food handlers required to wear gloves while
>handling food?
I guessyou missed this article www.tampabays10.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=25442

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
> Y'all know that Taco Bell is responsible for another nasty
>E coli outbreak, traced to the scallions (green onions)
>recently?

Taco Bell is not the one to blame.They only had the misfortune of being at the end af a broken supply chain.

The fault probably lies with the greedy rancher/farmers in Califorina.And possibly the state of Ca. for allowing the vegetables they grow to become so contaminated.

Unfortunately the only name people remember will be Taco Bell. Just like Chi-Chi`s a few years back. I think the bad press threw them into bankruptcy.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Redytrk is correct - Taco Bell was a victim, too, not the guilty party. I don't know if the farmers are guilty, I read that the spinach was contaminated by wild animals breaking into remote areas of the fields. Even windborne contamination happens, which is pretty hard to prevent.
IMO, the longtime overprescribing of antibiotics when they weren't needed is a huge contributing factor, because we've become immune to so many of them, while simultaneously destroying the necessary bacteria in our digestive systems.
It's a scary world, sometimes!

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
HERE'S MY TACO BELL STORY
year was 1997,I picked up an expedite load of meat going to Gulf Port Ms,for taco bell.After leaving Atlanta,the refer motor on trailer quit running,White Glove dispatch had me take trailer to shop for repair,4 hours later I was on my way.
When I arrived at delivery,4 hours late,I was told I should have just brought the meat in hot,and receiver was not happy.
I HAVE NOT EATEN AT TACO BELL SINCE

SWTexas1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I read this post with most interest, I have spent 20+ years in food service before getting in to Expediting.

As to all the Horror story ever told about food service from the Grease spoon to the 5 star resturant, I will not comment it is like many thinks I or no one else is going to change your mind.

So why did I Post is this, If you belive you have Food Borne Illines Go to the Doctor.
1. The doctor will get a stool samples to confirm this,( no sample no leg to stand on in court, if this puts you out of work)
2. Not all Illines are treated the same(right meds back to work you go sooner)
3. Only 30 to 40% of what most people belive is food illines is.( most of the time it is a virus but can you afford to lay up for days to figure it out.)

Bottom Line IS This-Go to the Doctor 40-50 Bucks is well worth it in the long run.

Steve
Tri-State 368