WARNING to "newbie" drivers looking for van position..

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Warning to drivers looking for work... CAUTION.. There's an offer from this fellow out of SW Ohio for a Sprinter driver. He usually calls the list of drivers here.. Promises you a newer Sprinter with a bed.. A scanner, laptop, fuel card, good pay in 90 days, good support from his "company" etc etc.. A "starting" offer of 23 to 27 cents per mile.. 3500 miles a week..
Sounds good?? After you sign up... you get a "older" Sprinter with NO BED (A piece of cheap foam with a sheet!) , a wall right behind the seat.. AC unit not working.. A rude, disrespectful attitude after a few days.. He will delay your pay 3-4 weeks.. "Fuel card"- A Walmart money card in your name. YOU have to call the brokers, not him.. He has nothing to do with that part of the operation.. And YOU pay the bus ticket to pick up his Cadillac van.. He has no BBB listing, and claims he's a "company" with 10 trucks, when he's just a con man with 3 Sprinters.. It is best advised to avoid this... You can get "trapped" into waiting for your money for weeks.. You will save yourself a lot of aggravation.. Just a warning to newer drivers.. BE AWARE of these types of scams, please!

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Which is why we are here to give advice,so any newbie that is getting into this business needs to do research! And if there not a member here then they will learn the old fashioned way....by their mistakes.

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
I actually came to post about a Sprinter driver I met at my drop yesterday. I was shocked when he told me he was getting paid .23 a mile. Then he was dead heading home because he didn't want to sit and wait. He brought along a buddy at that rate as well to help him drive I imagine. I didn't hear of the name of the city but I'm guessing it wasn't too far from Indianapolis.

550 miles x $0.23 = $126.50

Figure 18 hours driving time, there and back,

$7 / hr

divide that by two

WOWZERS.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
Which is why we are here to give advice,so any newbie that is getting into this business needs to do research! And if there not a member here then they will learn the old fashioned way....by their mistakes.

Not everyone knows about this site.
That's why it is up to EO members to spread the word to other expediters when you meet them.

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
I actually came to post about a Sprinter driver I met at my drop yesterday. I was shocked when he told me he was getting paid .23 a mile. Then he was dead heading home because he didn't want to sit and wait. He brought along a buddy at that rate as well to help him drive I imagine. I didn't hear of the name of the city but I'm guessing it wasn't too far from Indianapolis.

550 miles x $0.23 = $126.50

Figure 18 hours driving time, there and back,

$7 / hr

divide that by two

The only thing I can ad is :eek:

WOWZERS.

Not everyone knows about this site.
That's why it is up to EO members to spread the word to other expediters when you meet them.

Thats true and in my opinion w/o a computer and w/o research you are almost doomed to failure in this busines.;)

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Who pays for the fuel?? .19 a mile is about what a Sprinter burns in fuel, if the figures I came out with are right.

twinpopusa

Seasoned Expediter
Just to be informative w/o naming names, he claims to be out of Maineville, Oh.. Or he might BS you and tell you he's out of Austin, Tx.. So called fake company name starts with a single letter.. (second one) If I help one person avoid this kind of ripoff, it was all worth it...
Every time I meet a new driver out here, I tell them about EO, and the invaluable info here, if they already don't know. Seems like lots of them do though..

TheGoodPrice

Active Expediter
Well thats a good question, who pays for the fuel and he said 23 -27 per mile I think. At 3500 miles thats 875 dollars and with the per diem they should bring home not much less than that. I am thinking that the 875 was probably what they were looking at. Thats 45000 dollars a year. I could see where many people not working in this country would think thats a lot of money. As far as as the owner, many owners have you to "Pay" to come get there trucks, I dont see a problem with that. I personally would pay the few bucks but I investigate my drivers a little more. I have Straight Trucks and its very important I put the right people in these High Dollar Machines. I am also very very honest about this business to drivers. I have been Expediting for only about 6 years being an owner less than two. I can see both sides of this arguement but I can tell you I would not get into any truck with NO A/C. I would also wonder how long did this person work for this owner. As far as as a walmart money card. Does that really matter, It a Cash Card. You probably do more with that than with most fuel card. I think that there was just some miscommunication are these two people. I am wondering how he could "Promise you 3500 miles a week" and did you get the Lap Top?