Walmart making up for Target! Let's help!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Hey everyone,

I usually don't post this kind of stuff here, but it really struck me wrong with Target banning the Salvation Army this year. I got this letter from the American Family Association yesterday, and asked Lawrence if it would be ok to post it here.

I hope we all drop a few bucks in the kettle at Wal Mart.
------------------------------------------

Thank Wal-Mart for helping Salvation Army overcome the Target loss

Folks dropping money in Salvation Army kettles at Wal-Mart stores can make their money go twice as far. The world's largest retailer announced last Thursday it would match up to $1 million in donations.

The company said the clock started Thursday on the match and runs through Christmas Eve.

Wal-Mart is helping raise money for needy families, while the Target Corporation continues to serve as this year's "Ebenezer Scrooge." Earlier this year, Target told the Salvation Army to "take a hike" with its red kettles, refusing to allow them to raise much needed funds to help children this Christmas.

"We hope our customers join us in donating what they can to benefit an organization that does so much in our communities to serve families in need," Wal-Mart spokeswoman Betsy Reithemeyer said in a news release. "The Salvation Army red kettles and the bell ringers are truly a holiday tradition worth keeping."

The Salvation Army said the kettle donations are spent locally and said the Wal-Mart match will extend local donations.

I hope you will consider making your Christmas purchases with companies, like Wal-Mart, who support one of the nation’s most beloved charities, the Salvation Army.

In the meantime, please take a moment to thank Wal-Mart for supporting the good work of the Salvation Army.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Dale,

This got me fired up - so I sent an email to Target Offices. I will be joining you at Wal-Mart.

Subject: The Salvation Army

Dear Lawrence,

Like many nationwide retailers, Target Corporation has a long-standing "no solicitation" policy that it consistently applies to all organizations across all of its stores.

We receive an increasing number of solicitation inquiries from non-profit organizations and other groups each year and determined that if we continue to allow the Salvation Army to solicit then it opens the door to any other groups that wish to solicit our guests. While some of ourguests may welcome the opportunity to support their favorite charity or cause, allowing these organizations to solicit means that Target would also have to permit solicitation by organizations whose cause or behavior may be unacceptable to our guests.

We notified the Salvation Army of our decision in January 2004, well in advance of the holiday season, so the organization would have time to find alternative fundraising sources. Target also asked the Salvation Army to look at other ways that we could support their organization under our corporate giving guidelines. To this date they have not provided a proposal that fits those guidelines.

Local Salvation Army chapters can apply for grants through their local Target stores. For decades, many non-profit organizations across the country have successfully worked with Target in this manner. We are asking the Salvation Army to work with us in the same exact manner as the other groups and organizations who ask to solicit our guests.

This decision in no way diminishes Target Corporation's commitment to its communities. Target has one of the largest corporate philanthropy programs in America, donating more than $2 million per week and hundreds of thousands of volunteer hours each year to the communities in which it does business.

Sincerely,

Jennifer Hanson
Target Executive Offices

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Education is the best defense against the media.

The Lord's Prayer is 66 words, the Gettysburg Address is 286 words, there are 1,322 words in the Declaration of Independence, but government regulations on the sale of cabbage total 26,911 words.

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Target sent me the same lame form letter when I emailed them about the issue. The following letter is my response to their canned form letter:

Jennifer Hanson
Target Executive Offices

Dear Ms. Hanson:

I find Target's reasoning for denying the Savation Army bellringers access to the front of its stores a pure cop-out. WalMart Stores has always, and continues to permit, access for the Salvation Army to solicit donations in front of its stores, as does other retailers. The Salvation Army bellringers are an American Christmas holiday tradition that goes back several generations. They have helped millions of individuals and families over the years during times of distress and need. Target has adopted the incorrect notion that they would have to allow other undesirable organizations access if they give access to the Salvation Army. That is a purely false arguement. Target Stores are private property and they may allow the charitable organizations of their chosing to have access.

Again, as I stated in my previous letter, I will be boycotting Target stores from now until they change their policy toward the Salvation Army. I will also be working a campaign through email, radio, public announcements, and word of mouth to encourage others to join the boycott of Target Stores. As we enter into the Christmas season where charity and good works are the backbone of the American people, I think it is sad that Target Stores has become the modern day Scrooge.

Sincerely,
Reverends Richard & Joy Jones

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Well said Preacher. Count me among your followers who agree with your position. The Salvation Army has long been one of my favorite charities due to their high value deeds to a great number of people and their low overhead.

Terry

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
My attitude is changing for the positive toward WalMart . Like many others I felt a community was hurt when a WalMart moved in because it hurt smaller businesses and I still feel WalMart treats employees poorly . On the other hand WalMart offers a fair price where others really try to rip you off . My wife and I recently bought cell phones and needed dc chargers . I bought on on the road at WalMart for $7.99. When I came home I went to the local WalMart to buy one for my wife . They didn't have that model in stock so I went next door to Staples . They had that model but no price on it . When I took it to check out it was $19.99 . I told the cashier to forget it . The price was way higher than WalMart . The cashier said he would call WalMart and match the price . I waited while he called WalMart then told me he couldn't match the price because WalMart was out of stock and they wouldn't match the price on out of stock items . I said forget it then and he said he'd call another WalMart . By this time a long line was forming and the manager came over and told him to ring in the WalMart price I quoted . I remember Staples coming in years ago with low prices to undercut small stationary stores . Evidently things have changed . Some say this will happen with WalMart also , especially in the grocery business but it does pay to do comparative pricing on everything .

merkurfan

Expert Expediter
Things at walmart have been changing (sorry I am going off topic) back in the day when walmart first came to town I remember their ads, every product had a photo of the american company that made it, and information about that company. Now-a-days most everything at walmart is made in China. The reason being is not only walmarts desire to sell items at a low price, but shoppers generally don't care where the item was made, just how cheap is it (these also tend to be the same people that complain american jobs are being "outsourced")