Walmart "inspires" others to strike

Humble2drive

Expert Expediter
It is becoming all the trend now.

Labor rebellion: Fast-food workers, inspired by Walmart strikers, demand higher wages | The Lookout - Yahoo! News

The protests also inspired another group of low-wage workers to stage their own. Last week, about 200 fast-food workers in New York City walked out of their workplaces—chains affected included Burger King, Wendy's and McDonald's—to demand a "living wage" of $15 an hour and an end to the practice of keeping workers on part-time hours to avoid giving them benefits or overtime. The employees also want to form a union for the city's estimated 50,000 fast-food workers to negotiate pay and benefits.

Question: What leverage does a fast food worker have? 100 other people could do that job tomorrow.
"Workers saw that you could step out and be courageous and take on your bosses,"*

Now the Sheeple are being convinced that they are courageous to go on strike.

"You can't raise a family on minimum wage," Pamela Flood, a Burger King worker with three children, said onstage at the rally. "With food and diapers, my paycheck is gone after two days. We need a change."

Seriously? When I was 16 years old I delivered pizza for Domino's. Righteous bucks for a kid but I never assumed I would be able to raise a family on it.

The mentality out there is getting strange. :confused:

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Union likely wouldn't survive there as any of the fast food places will just replace them or bus them in from somewhere else. Simple operating costs and now Obamacare will ensure many more part-timers rather than full-time people.
As for the raising the family, just insanity. Those type of places have no obligation to provide that benefit. Why would they? That isn't something promised or even in the equation.

I am sure she wants 50k a year and deserves it because SHE had three kids and works the microwave really good. Imagine that?

Last edited:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Reminds me of the crazy broad with whom I had a conversation once. She was defending social programs, and I called her a thief. Her defense was "I WORKED MY WHOLE LIFE FOR MINIMUM WAGE AND NOW I NEED THE HELP!"
Yes, it's getting weird out there. Time for Atlas to shrug and shake off the freeloaders.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The gimmie goobers have taken over. It's not only the low end bunch, it's the highly educated as well. People are leaving college with degrees in what ever, no job experience, expecting 100K+ for a STARTING wage. It is really amazing to watch. It would be funny if it were not so sad.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good thing this is America.....where people can stand up for what THEY believe in.....be it right or wrong....at least these people have the nerve to stand up and fight.....unlike the bunch that hunker on the internet and criticize them and write their congress person.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Good thing this is America.....where people can stand up for what THEY believe in.....be it right or wrong....at least these people have the nerve to stand up and fight.....unlike the bunch that hunker on the internet and criticize them and write their congress person.

Yep, they do have a right to be stupid and make unreasonable wage demands without any idea of why it can't happen and the massive problems it would cause if it did. What is even funnier is that they believe that they would get ahead if they got the type of raises they want. They don't understand about the inflation in prices it would cause. They also forget that, with a Marxist, progressive, income tax they will pay taxes, which they are likely not doing now. In the end they will end up worse off than they are now.

IF they want to do better, they have to better themselves. They need job skills. They may have to move for better work. Expecting great pay for flipping burgers is stupid, but they do have the right to stupidity.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Oddly enough, things are not that much different in expediting. We on occasion get that call from someone new that must have 100k per year, new truck with large sleeper, apu, satelite TV, and needs to be home on the weekends. Followed by, "we have no experience or cdl so we will need training, truck for the test, and since we are broke we need that paid for along with a vehicle and travel expenses to pick up the truck and go to orientation".
Just amazing.:rolleyes: But it does provide for some cheap entertainment.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yep, they do have a right to be stupid and make unreasonable wage demands without any idea of why it can't happen and the massive problems it would cause if it did. What is even funnier is that they believe that they would get ahead if they got the type of raises they want. They don't understand about the inflation in prices it would cause. They also forget that, with a Marxist, progressive, income tax they will pay taxes, which they are likely not doing now. In the end they will end up worse off than they are now.

IF they want to do better, they have to better themselves. They need job skills. They may have to move for better work. Expecting great pay for flipping burgers is stupid, but they do have the right to stupidity.

Whose stupid? The gimme goobers get off their butts and hold their stupid little signs and they are getting everything they want.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Whose stupid? The gimme goobers get off their butts and hold their stupid little signs and they are getting everything they want.

Only short term. The house of cards is about to fall apart. They helped to pile far too much on it. Then they will DEMAND what they want and have yet to earn. When it does not come, they will get violent.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Only short term. The house of cards is about to fall apart. They helped to pile far too much on it. Then they will DEMAND what they want and have yet to earn. When it does not come, they will get violent.

If it all should fall apart in your life time For the gimme goobers I know you are locked and loaded and ready to keep them away

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If it all should fall apart in your life time For the gimme goobers I know you are locked and loaded and ready to keep them away

I will be OK if I am home. I don't live around any large populations centers. My doors are locked and they will likely be too loaded to go very far.