Vice or Virtue

moose

Veteran Expediter
I ended up snagging a load that delivers Tuesday morning, 150 miles north of my house. I'm home and collecting 3 days layover pay. I can live with that!

& on top of that you can claim the 'per dime' on your taxes for those 3 days, since your van is 'loaded'.
go shopping @ Kowalski's...:)

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
go shopping @ Kowalski's...:)
My daughter used to live a half block west of the Kowalski's on Grand avenue. I'm delivering to a printing place just north of BIR on Tuesday. Beautiful Nisswa, MN. Also I attended a Range wedding in Biwabek, MN last weekend. I even danced with a chair. It's been years since I danced with a chair. A lovely Nagahyde clad beauty as I recall. Only at a Range wedding! Went through Gilbert and saw a sign for Lake-Ore-Be-Gone. That one cracked me up!

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I didn't know Kowalski's had a store. I thought you could only buy their meats through a grocer.

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
Kowalski's used to have stores. I remember seeing only a couple of them back in the day.
There used to be one in the cherry hill plaza on Cherry Hill rd. and Inkster rd. and I think there was one in Redford.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I thought so.

Fr8t,
I remember a few, I think there is one still in Dearborn.

By the way, I understand they will be moving out of Hamtramck, ending some 100 plus years on the same site. The city refused to help them with taxes and other things while their new location is willing to do everything to help them - too bad.

moose

Veteran Expediter
I think it's a diffferent Kowalski's.

Well, i don't know mach about them, only that when i'll be rich enough it's like a dream to go grocery in that store weekly.
the ones in M.N you can buy online, and go to the drive through and they will load it to the back of your car.
or when you check out ,you go drive your car to the same spot ,and they will load your grocery for you.
i used to buy only 10$ worth of milk product, only so i can do that and feel like a Minnetonka resident. :)
the food is to die for.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Turtle is no longer at PII?
No, I'm not. I learned to embrace the stupidity of the bureaucratic idiocy, but one thing I couldn't embrace was a pay cut wrapped in the guise of a pay increase. The new "feel good" and wholly symbolic inspirational "Bronze, Silver, Gold" program only added insult to that injury.

Like Moot, I was on the variable rate fSC instead of the structured FSC program. My FSC would vary wildly, from as low as 12 cents a mile to upwards of 45 cents a mile, but overall it ran about 5 cents more per mile than the structured FSC program. Then, on April 1 they gave us a pay increase by paying for our deadhead fuel costs for all deadhead from the point of dispatch to the pickup. It started out as being whatever the National Average for fuel, divided by 15 MPG for vans. At the time that was 26 cents a mile (currently it would be 25 cents a mile). Sounds good. Except that three weeks later they changed the math so that cargo vans were suddenly getting an average of 19 MPG, and the DH FSC dropped to 19 and 20 cents a mile.

At the same time they started the DH pay, my FSC remained variable, only not nearly as wildly as before. It varied from the point of whatever the structured FSC was, downward. Never above the structured FSC. In four months I didn't have a single FSC that was even as much as one penny above the structured FSC (which was in the 24 cent range). I had plenty in the 15-19 cent range, tho. Load after load after load at under 20 cents a mile.

I ran the math, and during the four months between April and July, where I was now getting paid 20 cents a mile to DH, my overall rate per mile for all-miles dropped a hair over 4 cents per mile. So the new DH program wasn't just robbing Peter to pay Paul, it was robbing me to pay me, and everyone else. It was a Shell Game with my money. I can overlook a lot, and Lord knows I did that at Panther on a regular basis, but playing with my money isn't one that I can overlook.

Then there's the whole "Bronze, Silver, Gold" extravaganza where everything about it is out of the driver's control, totally dependent on the carrier handing out enough loads with enough miles to make the various levels. In order to make the bonus levels you need to run an average of 3.5 loads a week, with an average of 400 miles per line haul, yet Panther averages less than 3 loads per week per truck and less than 300 miles per line haul. The math is insulting and is only likely to motivate the uber stupid (which in Panther's defense, they've got a lot of). I knew the system and how they think I was able to work within that and do OK.

For 5 years I averaged better than 98% acceptance, but even at 100% acceptance I'm totally at the mercy of dispatch giving me enough loads with enough miles to make the bonuses, which, BTW includes such coveted perks as being bumped to the top of the phone cue when you call in. Apparently, those calling in with customer issues flailing around at the bottom of the HOLD cue for half an hour aren't as important. Seems to me that rather than play games with the phone cue it would make more sense to put a couple more people per shift on answering the phones so the customers can be better taken care of, but that's what playing games gets you - more stupidity and bureaucratic idiocy.

So, I went to Load 1, where the contract fits on a Post-it® Note and says, basically, "We promise not to screw you over and you promise not to screw us over," and the only rules they have are the ones that make sense that you don't need an army of people to enforce. They have like 4 or 5 people in the office that has to deal with the bureaucratic idiocy of the FMCSA rules, but everybody else is focused on the customers and the drivers. That's it.

So, to sum it up and remain on-topic, I was able to escape the vice-grip jaws and claws of stupidity, madness, and sheer incompetence, and trade that in for the virtue of sanity, serenity, and professionalism.

moose

Veteran Expediter
That's all nice and dundey,
'cxept you got contracted by a carrier that currently won't contract new sprinters...
what's with that ?
(am not just being noisy here, but seems like it's a trend, and surly L1's can 'xplain)
anyway, good for you, and all the best!

Fr8 Shaker

Veteran Expediter
I thought so.

Fr8t,
I remember a few, I think there is one still in Dearborn.

By the way, I understand they will be moving out of Hamtramck, ending some 100 plus years on the same site. The city refused to help them with taxes and other things while their new location is willing to do everything to help them - too bad.

Yes it's a shame that Hamtramck won't work with them on a needed tax break.
Now all Hamtramck will get out of it is an empty building with no taxes coming in.
Penny wise, Dollar foolish.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
i would taken the run and make up the money at del
most of the time they are on break , waiting for the truck ahead of you to get off loaded
and make more than you lost up
on thurday to a customer at 1145 and they were at lunch
to 1230 and didn't leave until 1400