Verizon to ditch phone plans, go with shared plans

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
AP

Verizon to ditch most phone plans, introduce plans 'shared' among family members, devicesNEW YORK (AP) --

Verizon Wireless, the nation's largest cellphone company, is dropping nearly all of its phone plans in favor of pricing schemes that allow consumers to share data usage among up to ten phones and other devices.

The new plans will let individuals add non-phone devices like tablets and laptops to their plans, as well as the phones of family members.

The change takes effect June 28.

It's the biggest revamp in wireless pricing in years, and one that's likely to be copied by other carriers. AT&T Inc. has already said that it's looking at introducing shared-data plans soon.

Verizon's new "Share Everything" plans include unlimited phone calls and texting, and will start at $90 per month for one smartphone and 1 gigabyte of data. If used only with a smartphone, "Share Everything" prices are lower than for current plans with unlimited calling and texting, but higher than plans with limited calling and texting.

Bigger savings will come for those who add more devices like tablets to their plans. In such cases, the new pricing system will be cheaper compared to getting separate data plans for each device. That gives Verizon a chance to capitalize on the growing popularity of tablets. Few consumers put tablets on data plans, probably because they dread paying an extra $30 or so per month, on top of their phone bills.

Under "Share Everything," adding a tablet to a plan will cost $10 per month. Adding a USB data stick for a laptop will cost $20.

Verizon's limited-calling and texting plans will disappear, except for one $40-per-month plan intended for "dumb" phones. Verizon is keeping its limited-data plans for single non-phone devices, like the $30 tablet plan.

Current Verizon customers will be able to switch to the new plans or keep their old ones, with one exception. Those who have unlimited-data plans for their smartphones won't be able to move those to new phones, unless they pay the full, unsubsidized price for those phones. (For example, an iPhone 4S that costs $200 with a two-year contract costs $650 unsubsidized, with no contract.)

Verizon stopped signing people up for unlimited-data plans last summer. The industry as a whole is moving away from the plans, since the data capacity of their networks is limited.

Under the new plans, subscribers can stop worrying about monitoring the number of calling minutes or text messages their families use in a month, but they'll have to keep a close eye on data consumption. Verizon will allow subscribers to adjust their data allowance from month to month, but if they go over their monthly allotment, that will cost $15 per gigabyte.

The data allowances start at $50 per month for 1 gigabyte. That's enough for prudent two-smartphone users who use Wi-Fi a lot, but Verizon recommends getting 2 gigabytes for $60. After that, each additional 2 gigabytes cost an extra $10 per month.

Under "Share Everything," Verizon will stop charging extra for letting devices act as "mobile Wi-Fi hotspots." That means subscribers who have a recent smartphone could use it to connect a tablet to the Internet, without paying the extra $10 per month for a tablet.

Verizon had telegraphed the move toward shared plans, but had not revealed the details or pricing.

Verizon Wireless is a joint venture of New York-based phone company Verizon Communications Inc. and Vodafone Group PLC, a British cellphone company with wide international interests

Monty

Expert Expediter
I am about to be on the phone with them .... I have the following, 2 flip phones, a tablet, a mifi 4G, (10 gig plan) and Home Connect ... something tells me I'm gonna need Vaseline!

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
We were in the Verizon shop last Sunday, just looking at iphones and how it would be $30 month for the data package ..... they didn't mention anything about the above :confused:

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
This will likely cost a LOT more than what we have now. If it does, we will look to see if there is a better plan with some other carrier. What we have costs too much, I sure don't want to pay any more.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
$50 for the first GB? I'm paying that for 5 GB now! This would certainly qualify one to cancel without paying the ETF.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
When customers start leaving, prices will change. I don't have a smart phone, I don't need one, nor want one. I want the plan I have. What I have costs too much as it is, I am not going to pay more for less.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
We were in the Verizon shop last Sunday, just looking at iphones and how it would be $30 month for the data package ..... they didn't mention anything about the above :confused:

You just need to get the plan started before the deadline. I will be buying my phones from other people or paying full price if I need another one.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Monty

Expert Expediter

I seriously doubt the folks in the store knew ..... or if they did, details were not clear.

I called them, there is no reason to change your plan if you are satisfied with it. Since I am certainly going to be out of the truck by October, (when my data plans mature), I will drop them and it will actually reduce my bill more than $80.00 .. and I may make other changes to the service we have at that time also.

Verizion cites the fact actual voice usage is dropping, and data, (texting), is replacing it, it makes sense all around, I guess, to change the plans.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Here is the email answer we received from Verizon in regards to questions we had about the new plans.

"Thanks for asking about our new plans! We are in the process of implementing our Share Everything Plan that includes unlimited talking and texting and allows you to choose how much data to share between your lines. My name is Rebecca and I am happy to look over your account and see if the Share Everything Plan is a better deal for you.

Based on your usage, I recommend staying with your current plan. Because you don't use a large amount of data, the Share Everything Plan would cost you about $36.00 more. If you decide to upgrade any of your lines to Smartphones, the plan would definitely make sense for you.

I also want to assure you that you will be able to keep your current plan. You won't be forced to switch.

I appreciate your interest in our new plan and encourage your to revisit it when you upgrade to Smartphones. Thank you for being a part of the Verizon Wireless family, Jeanette. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Rebecca
Verizon Wireless
Customer Service"

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
noticed how they made no mention of what they will make you do once your current contract expires and its time to renew. thats always where they get you.

5 gb is approx. 5,242,000 megabytes. we have 3 phones, 1 of them a smartphone that creates a hotspot for the internet. all phones are internet capable and i used the smartphone biggest part of the time on the road for surfing the internet. when at home the laptop is on with the hotspot active 24 hrs a day. we are currently using about 2.25 gb for all that. so unless you are streaming alot of videos, movies or live tv, it really doesnt use alot.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
I have been with VZ for over 8 years, I know, u can pray for me. I don't have any complaints over service or anything in that area. As time went by, I started looking at the monthly pay as u go plans with other companies and there are many plans that blow Vz out of the water. I went to 3 VZ stores and ask them why they could not match competitors plans and even had the brochure of the competitor in my hand and pricing. No one could match the plans, and u know, the nitwits at the VZ store are just robots with no power to make decisions, but in a ** world of push buttons and electronic gadgets, why cant they make a change. I've been watching to much OWS.

If ur tired of buying condos and stately homes for corporate America VZ types, then move out and shop around. I have found out I don't need all the whistles and bells, aren't u just calling ur carrier and talking most of the time and posting on here .

I got a cricket phone , yep a cheapie just to try it out,,,,hey, it works fine, all over the south so far, 45 bucks a month to just talk and so on. Hey, they got the whistle and bell phones too, maybe 99 a month for the whistle and bell stuff. how much do we need, I know its a Keep up with the Jones thing, don't tell me it isn't. I'm a sucker for the gadgets too, but not when it was costing me 1700 bucks a year, that's an IRA retirement deposit u could be saving , isn't it Joe??

Enough of the rant, ur gonna do what ur gonna do, and I am too. :)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
noticed how they made no mention of what they will make you do once your current contract expires and its time to renew. thats always where they get you.
You don't have to renew your contract once it expires. You just let it expire and keep going month-to-month if you want. A few years ago I ran mine month-to-month for nearly three years after the contract expired before I wanted to upgrade to a new phone.

The only reason you need to sign a new two year contract is if you buy a discounted (subsidized) phone, or change your plan significantly. Pay full price for the phone and you don't have to renew the contract.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
You don't have to renew your contract once it expires. You just let it expire and keep going month-to-month if you want. A few years ago I ran mine month-to-month for nearly three years after the contract expired before I wanted to upgrade to a new phone.

The only reason you need to sign a new two year contract is if you buy a discounted (subsidized) phone, or change your plan significantly. Pay full price for the phone and you don't have to renew the contract.

now that was good advice imho.

garyatk

Seasoned Expediter
My wife and I just switched to Straight Talk for $45 per month. We never had a data plan before, and this looks like the best deal. The phones we purchased for $180 are Samsung Galaxy's and they work on the Verizon network. The next couple months will tell if it was a good move...

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
My wife and I just switched to Straight Talk for $45 per month. We never had a data plan before, and this looks like the best deal. The phones we purchased for $180 are Samsung Galaxy's and they work on the Verizon network. The next couple months will tell if it was a good move...

Sounds good - let us know :)

I looked up Samsung Galaxy ...... there are millions of types! :eek:

which one have you got? :p

paullud

Veteran Expediter
As time went by, I started looking at the monthly pay as u go plans with other companies and there are many plans that blow Vz out of the water. I went to 3 VZ stores and ask them why they could not match competitors plans and even had the brochure of the competitor in my hand and pricing. No one could match the plans, and u know, the nitwits at the VZ store are just robots with no power to make decisions, but in a ** world of push buttons and electronic gadgets, why cant they make a change. I've been watching to much OWS.

The problem with Verizon lowering their prices to match the competition is that the competition has a smaller network with less to maintain. Verizon was spending over $5 billion a year on their network and that has increased since they are adding 4G. You can't reasonably expect a restaurant to match the price of their 16oz prime rib to their competitor's 8 oz flank steak.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
The problem with Verizon lowering their prices to match the competition is that the competition has a smaller network with less to maintain. Verizon was spending over $5 billion a year on their network and that has increased since they are adding 4G. You can't reasonably expect a restaurant to match the price of their 16oz prime rib to their competitor's 8 oz flank steak.

The flank steak is better if done right! :p

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
ya, my bad turtle. i should have added that in. i was referencing that if you go in for the data plan change, be careful. seems like any change to your plan now days and they want to put you into a new contract.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
CONTRACTS, GET UR CONTRACTS, READ ALL ABOUT IT, UR BUYING US A CONDO, SUCKER.
Are u tired of contracts for ur cell phone, do u go hungry for 24 months just so u can talk and app ur way thru life. Did u do the math: ur VZ bill could look like this: 1600 a year for 20 years is, and here u go gang>>>>>1600 x 20 is === $32,000 bucks. Yep only 32K $ just to talk and app.
Just having fun here gang, but 1600 a year for ur phone, plus 2400 a year for ur progressive insurance if u can find it that cheap for an o/o, and it mounts up , plus at least , at least 15k$ for ur fuel in a van if ur working at it. whoops, I digressed, we were on cell phone stuff. :)