Verizon MIFI Issues anyone?

butterfly610

Veteran Expediter
Hi, I switched from Sprint MIFI to Verizon MIFI since everyone raves about Verizon's service. The customer service experience has actually been quite bad, lol. Phones signals on our Iphones work great and we have service EVERYWHERE. But the MIFI....nothing but issues? Anyone else have problems? We didn't get the Samsung, but the Verizon brand MIFI. It constantly, and I do mean constantly disconnects. We had a bad one for a day, traded it for a new one....and thought that did the trick. At least until after the 14 days they give you to do a return. I did an update today and still disconnects constantly from my laptop. The Ipad it doesn't seem to disconnect. The actual WIFI signal goes out tons though. I don't know. Suggestions or similar stories?

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Have you tried getting a new copy of VZ Access manager? Have you had the laptop checked out since it works on the I Pad?

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

citibori

Seasoned Expediter
I am ha inv the same exact problem I had it with the Samsung brand though. I bought the Verizon brand on eBay and was getting the same so I completely restored my computer and now it doesn't do it. I think it has something to do with the wifi radio in your laptop. VZ Access Manager will not do a thing. If your iPad works fine it's not the Mifi. Try updating the wifi radio in your laptop.

Monty

Expert Expediter
Are you on the 4G, or the 3G system?

I have both, I finally told Verizon, in disgust, remove me from 4G. My 3G works flawlessly.

Problem was when I moved from one system to the other, the towers would not do a proper "handshake", and I was dropped, often never even knowing it.

I have been with Verizon for years, and I am pleased with their overall service, but this 4G/3G thingy is the pits!

I might imagine if one was stationary in that 4G service area, it works well, but being mobile and going between, not so much!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It is, or rather was, a significant problem when switching from 3G to 4G and back, especially if you are in a fringe area where it keeps switching to whichever radio signal is strongest. But there should be a firmware update for the 4G devices that takes care of it. My LG aircard was really bad in fringe areas. Did the firmware update and it's fine now. Much more stable when in 4G mode, and switches between the two while in a fringe area very smoothly.

There is also problem with the Bionic and switching between 3G and 4G, where sometimes it'll drop both and you have 0G. Takes toggling Plane Mode or rebooting to fix it. The November update is supposed to fix that.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
There is also problem with the Bionic and switching between 3G and 4G, where sometimes it'll drop both and you have 0G. Takes toggling Plane Mode or rebooting to fix it. The November update is supposed to fix that.

I just got in update last night on my Thunderbolt and I have actually stayed on 4G so far today. It was jumping all over the place yesterday from 4G to 3G to nothing. I have always had problems in TX with the data service doing that and had to go into the settings and switch data on and off to get it working again, so far it has been 100%.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

beagle187

Active Expediter
Hi, I switched from Sprint MIFI to Verizon MIFI since everyone raves about Verizon's service. The customer service experience has actually been quite bad, lol. Phones signals on our Iphones work great and we have service EVERYWHERE. But the MIFI....nothing but issues? Anyone else have problems? We didn't get the Samsung, but the Verizon brand MIFI. It constantly, and I do mean constantly disconnects. We had a bad one for a day, traded it for a new one....and thought that did the trick. At least until after the 14 days they give you to do a return. I did an update today and still disconnects constantly from my laptop. The Ipad it doesn't seem to disconnect. The actual WIFI signal goes out tons though. I don't know. Suggestions or similar stories?

The problem is with the MTU speed in your settings on your laptop. You can Google for a program called TCPOptimizer. Download it and run it on your laptop.
Once it's opened, click on the "Optimal" button on the bottom right and apply settings. Reboot. Then run it again, click the "Custom" button and change the MTU to 1428. This is what Verizon uses on their network. Apply and reboot again.
You should now get great speed!

tumbleweeds

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
We have been with Verizon for many years. We got the first MIFI card when they first came out and have upgraded twice now to 4G. We are not having any problems at all. The 4G seems much faster than the 3G most of the time. Once in a while, if we are driving, it will drop and it may take a couple of tries to reconnect. But at 70 mph I am amazed that it works at all. It still has to refresh some times when watching a movie. We are happy. So much better than living in the dark ages when we had Hughes Satellite that was slower than dialup.

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Samsung MiFi 4G on Verizon. Great speeds in 4G areas. Verizon guy sez they plan to have 4G everywhere by end of year. We will see.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
Ya the bill i was over by 10GB so i guess i will by a years pass to the J to watch movies on.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums