Venting

Wolf_Exp

Expert Expediter
Just letting everyone know now-- something has been happening-- and im venting on here.

Reccently I came up with the idea of someone taking over my van for me, and I get a dually and start pulling Rv trailers. Ive researched and they want people who have at least 2 years pulling experience.

HOW DO I GET PULLING EXPERIENCE IF EVERYONE WANTS ME TO HAVE PULLING EXPERIENCE????? }>

Thank you. I wonder if the 3 years I pulled cars for a friend of mine counts. He had a garage and he fixed cars for people-- I would pull cars, sometimes by trailer-- sometimes by rope and chain. Wonder if that counts.

Doug

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Know how you feel

I looked into hotshot driving because I have a Dodge Ram sitting doing nothing and everyone said I should use the truck to at least pay the bills. Soem of the hotshot dispatchers and company owners I talked to said I have to have X amount of experience for them to give me any loads but it is like where do I get this experience they tell me I need?

I am leaving out a lot of details about the hotshot stuff, but for someone like me, clean driving record, history as a courier driver at 50-60K/year, driving my cube truck all over the east coast and south without any problems and even drove confiscated (IRS/DEA/Customs) class 8 trucks for a government contractor in the mid 80’s, it seems that no one cared about my history up until two or three years ago.

I would think that three years transporting cars would somehow count, but that is my opinion.

tec1959

Expert Expediter
Wolf
Hi I don't think pulling cars with a rope or on a trailer to the shop to be fixed really is what they are looking for.As for me years ago i wanted to start driving 18 wheelers and i had no exp.But I had exp towing cars and semi's with tow trucks/wreckers,And that i've run in the east coast and mid-west,When i told the company's about the exp on tow trucks/wreckers that was when the company's wanted to hire me and wanted to train me.So i'd tell them you have exp towing cars and trucks up and down the east coast.And tell them all the states you've run in.

Tec1959....:)
Just my 2 cents...

raceman

Veteran Expediter
When you enter the commercial truck driving field you will rarely find someone who will take you with less than two years exp. There are those out there that will take one year and a few that will take six months.

It is very difficult but the easiest way to get this experience is to go to a trucking company and run with a trainer for about 10 weeks then they turn you loose. Then you drive for them for two years and bingo.

To be honest without stirring up a big ole nest on here, you can get into Hot shotting by over selling your experience but it takes some support from a few others and your own ability to sell yourself and your experience.

I will say no more than that on here because I do not recommend it. You can also just keep working and looking and you will find someoen who will give you the shot. The big problem is the insurance companies. You have got to prove your story to them but it is doable.

I assume you have been talking to Horizon or someone like that. Have you tried Jet? They are abit more accepting. If you are unable to get my point here contact me via a personal note and maybe I can give you some ideas. The real good thing to do is go get the experince you need so it is all done right.

Raceman
OTR O/O

truckerbse2

Expert Expediter
Have you bothered to just ask some of the companies you are looking at if they have any ideas on how you get experienc???They may let you team up with one of their current drivers for awhile in order get an idea of how you handle yourself.