vans

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
I see where a lot of companies are not using vans.Well I read somewhere there was a guy making 150,000 a year hauling things no bigger than a lamp,I just can't find it again---He took loads to small for your regular outfitts. I have model my bussiness on this theroy althought I haven't gotten it down yet but it makes sense.The aircraft field is a good place to look because they sometimes have small and light parts. Just use your head and think. Hawk

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don’t think the companies choose to get rid of the vans, or to cut back on the van size loads. I think most of the shippers are starting to shop around and find a better deal elsewhere, on there cargo van loads. I get calls daily from shippers that use the bigger expedite companies for D, or E loads, asking me for a price on an A or B load. The way I see it Terry, is a lot of the B drivers are sick and tired of sitting around doing nothing, having to wait 2 or 3 days on a load, that they are calling these shippers direct and cutting their own deals with them. As for the $150K! I know for a fact it can be done because I have done that and more. The first year I started on my own, I grossed $90K from June to the end of the year. The first part of that same year I ran for a Big Dog, and only grossed $40K.
Didn’t you post a while back that you where going to buy a D unit? What happened to that Idea?

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes Tony and Groundhawk It IS possible, JuJu and I are in the 6 figure average this year so far and we do that small stuff and the big stuff!
The market forces here in Ontario are VERY competitive and the per mile average is lower then one would like to see, but the opportunities to double up and triple up are very good. Once we had a 4 banger to Detroit airport! ( paid singles ) GREAT!
I guess JuJu and I missed the golden era of Roberts Ex so we've never seen the rates some people write about.
JuJu and I take every load we get, good or bad, long or short and the dispatchers treat us well in return, sure we whine a bit but who doesn't!
At least they haven't taxed whining yet.
We are working hard and long hours but keeping the tires moving and that counts for alot. We realize we're not going to be stupidly rich and have the grand ole lifestyle but neither are we doing without, if we want it we buy it! :)
You owners of the big dogs beware your companies are up here in Ontario bidding LOW real low for contracts like in the 1.15 Can. Gross range.
Well good luck Groundhawk and Tony I got your e-mail see you around and thanks.

roadrunner

Expert Expediter
I'm relieved to someone in a B unit doing well since most companies are not hiring. When will freight pick back up???

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
That is the MILLION DOLLAR question! If I could predict that I wouldn’t be sitting here in the office racking my brain and making all these rejecting phone calls. I’ll bet I’ve just set the WORLDS record for having been told “NO” or “NOT AT THIS TIME”. I could call Genius with that one!!!

I received 3 calls today asking if I had a driver in the craziest places. All of which were 6 to 16 hundred miles from nowhere (Ashland Wi, Joplin Mo, and Houma La.) going to BFE!!!

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
I'm trying to buy a new van to put on this deicated run I have--I started my bussines on shoe string and I need to replace the old van,than I can put a driver on that and than I could move up and hit the road,and build this thing..I got this crazy idea about a small plane......cargo......hhuummmm..... Hawk

newthead

Expert Expediter
Running with your own authority means a lot! I am seriously thinking of getting a B unit and expanding my local courier service to a West Coast expediting service. Only problem is the cities are so far apart, it is tough being available for a 90 min. P/U. I'll figure it out.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Teacel,
>Are you a fleet owner[font color="purple" size="2.5" face="face"]Yes! and No!!! I own 2 vans that I drive and have 3 others IC's working for Me.[/font] or do you operate under your own authority? [font color="purple" size="2" face="face"]Yes! I have that also. I have a very small Expedite/Delivery service, of my own. I can't compete nor do I ever want to compete with the well known Expedite companies. I have a nice little thing going on. I do mostly all dedicated routes for companies. I can do a companies deliveries using IC's cheaper than an company can pay hourly drivers and maintain a fleet of vehicles.[/font]

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Tony your bussiness set up something like I got. I have my authority and just one van, I could use another I never thought about IC to help out because I'm looking at some more work I might get. Hawk

jmurphy15

Expert Expediter
Hawk, I am interested in how you went about getting your authority and how you acquire loads. I am currently driving a cargo van for a local company as an IC. I am looking into getting my own authority and marketing my services to local companies. Also I would be very interested in working the freight lanes from Milwaukee, Rockford, Chicago to Detroit,Toledo and Cleveland. I am looking for expedited loads up to 2000 Lbs. If you have any hints or tips I would appreciate hearing from you.

Regards,

Smokinjoe

GroundHawk

Expert Expediter
Hi Joe sorry it took so long. I got the forms off of the internet I can't remember the site I would have to look it up,the forms were free I just filled them out and sent them in with the filling fee---of course you have to get the right amount of insurance.Loads? will I market my company as of now I have deal with the school board here to deliver their inner office mail to all of their schools,I also run skids for a couple of print shops. It is tough sometimes but it is fun---if I'm going to go under it will be by my hands. Hawk

jmurphy15

Expert Expediter
I appreciate the reply. Thank you for your help. I had a slight problem logging on but I think that it might be ok now.

regards,
smokinjoe

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
NOW for you van dreamers....with all the know how out there, Dock level vans? A device that will lift to the dock?
We have ground to the truck why not the other way?
Think about it...

Fkatz

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
HI ONTARIOMAN,

I HAVE SEE A STANDARD EXTENDED CARGO VAN THAT HAD THE HYDRAULIC LIFT MACHINERY TO BE DOCK HIGH, IT IS SIMILAR TO THE RV LANDING GEAR TO STABILIZE IT OR LIKE A SISSORS JACK ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM, REMEMBER IT WOULD HAVE TO HOLD 2000 LBS SO IT WOULD HAVE TO BE MADE TO WITH STAND THE PRESSURE. ITS VERY EXPENSIVE, I THINK IT COST SOMEWHERE AROUND $10 GRAND THIS WAS IN 2000, DONT KNOW WHERE HE IS NOW, BUT IT IS AVAILABLE, SOME ONE HAS IT ALREADY.

FRANK