van interior features

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
Ok, all you van runners,
What 'features' have you built into your truck that you really like, and what would you like to upgrade? Do you have a bunk and a bulkhead, is there 'enough' storage for the essentials? What do you consider to be the 'essentials' ie, do you Need a microwave, small TV etc, or are you running enough that you're not in need of a TV?

Thanks, I'm trying to design a van interior, and would like to build a 'package' incorporating the 'good stuff'.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
NB: Here's an example of one of our vans. We have plenty of space for two skids and ourselves. As far as cooking appliances go, we don't use them 'cause there are too many restaurants avail on the road where you can eat healthy. A TV keeps us up-to-date on weather and news and helps wile away some of the down time. An XM radio and a hands free fone cradle are also a necessity.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/artman/publish/printer_1518.html

Want to discuss? send me a PM and I'll call you.

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
Terry,
I'm about to take a couple of days visiting family in virginia, but I would very much like to chat about your very well laid out arrangement. Thank you! Now I see how your sliding mat system works, that alone must save you hours of time when all is said and done.
I'll PM you later this week when I'm going to be home for a bit. Be safe and have a great day!

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
Check out the following link to see how I equipped our van. We have a small TV (5") and like Terry we don't do any cooking but have an electric cooler for drinks and a porta potty for those cold nights when we don't want to get out and go in a truck stop. We now have a printer, scanner, copier which works with our laptop. It sure is handy. Maybe this will give you some ideas you can use.

http://www.expeditersonline.com/dcforum/DCForumID16/519.html

Dieseldoctor

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
That is one incredible van, thanks for the link. While i've been visting EO for a couple of years now, I hadn't been on the forums until just recently. Both your truck and terry & rene's were 'before my time' as it were. I see I'll have to go digging in the archives awhile.
I'm getting the point that for a van driver, some of the 'amenities' are a) hard to fit and b) just not needed. (by some) I also see that it is a very personal space, by the very nature of it is Your truck vs someone elses. I'm coming from an OTR background, where one has to park 70 some odd feet of truck and trailer. I've also got an RV background, so storage in a small space is something I am familiar with.

jg

Expert Expediter
I'm wondering about the details of emptying a porta-potty while on the road. Does it have a separate compartment that comes off and then you have to carry it into the truckstop or other place for emptying and cleaning? Are there throw-away bags in those things?
I can see, and appreciate, the advantages of having one in the van when it's late at night, cold, rainy, or you are stuck in traffic on the George Washington Bridge, but what's the down side????
Sorry about the topic this morning, hope it doesn't spoil your breakfast.

NB Trucker

Expert Expediter
*chuckling here* it is never a 'pleasant' task, but you just cope with it when full. Or that was how my RV's tanks were.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
JG: One of the nicer things about van operation is the ability to park most anywhere, particularly near toilet facilities. We have never had a porta-pot because of the inconveniences involed outweighing, for us, the conveniences.

Pots I've seen have a removable liner with a powder that turns urine into a non-sloshable gel. I don't know where you can legally dispose of the non-pourable bag of sweetness, and I imagine that none of the recipients of such a gift would appreciate it. Perhaps the purveyers of these devices can give you the scoop on proper disposal techniques.

dieseldoctor

Expert Expediter
jg,
Not much of a downside on the porta potty for us. It holds about 5 gallons so we only have to empty it about once a month. We only use it in the middle of the night and for urine unless we have an emergency. It seperates into two parts. The top is the seat and lid and holds some water for flushing. The bottom holds the bad stuff. You just pull a latch and lift the top off. The bottom half reminds me of a GI 5 gallon jerry can. I just carry it in the house, remove the 4" cap and pour the contents in the commode and flush it. Then I take it back to the van, pour in about four oz of the same deoderant they use in RV holding tanks and put a little water back in the top tank for flushing and that's it. Takes about as long to service it as it does to get undressed, go in a truck stop, use the bathroom and then go back to the van and get undressed and back in bed.I buy the deoderant and tissue at Wal-Mart. The tissue is biodegradable and desolves in water. It's all a personal thing. I hate to get out at night and I sure don't want the wife to have to get out late at night and go in a truck stop by herself.
Dieseldoctor

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
jg,we also have a porta pottie on our D unit(wife would not be on the truck without it). we normally stop at the flying j's to empty it.as dieseldoctor says it splits into two parts,ihead outside with the part that needs emptying taking a empty 1 gallon jug with me .i fill the jug with water and hand it up to her (twice is all it takes) while she is filling i am emptying and the adding the liquid deodorant. we have completed this job in less than 10 minutes lots of times. hope this helps.DD.

iheartfaye

Expert Expediter
RE: van interior features (Porta Potty)

I bought the budget porta-potty at Outdoor World (Bass Pro Shops) for $10. It is just a seat and a stand with very heavy duty garbage bags. This is only for extreme emergencies but it has come in handy.