Van insurance/plates

D Team Brothers

Expert Expediter
Ok all you experienced van operators, here are three questions which could help others besides myself;
1. Do the major companies require vans to have apportioned plates, or simple commercial ones? We are talking about under 10,000GVW.
2. Veh. does not need to scale (unless hazmat placarded) and gets fuel from car pumps; do we need to pay fuel taxes just as with a straight truck?
3. If the major companies don't care about the plates and leave it up to the owner; why would you go apportioned over commercial:

Thank you; Jack

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
Hello, D Team Brothers. First as to Apportioned tags, no you do not need them, in fact I'm not sure you could get them even if by some reason you wanted to. Second, as to going into the scales, you better watch out. Each state is different, most don't want you in the scales unless of course you are hauling a placard load, but I paid a $250.00 fine in Michigan for not stopping. Third, as to the road tax thing. The only vans that pay anything like that that I know are Landstar vans. The company takes out Ad Valorem. If you are thinking about changing over to a B unit, I hope you don't mind setting a lot. Best of luck

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Jack

Cargo vans do not require apportioned plate. Your plates would be determined by you home State's registration requirements. For example, a one ton van in Missouri requires a 12,000# commercial plate. Apportionment here starts at vehicles registered at 18,000#

Generally a cargo van does not always scale with Hazmat but some States require scaling. There are exceptions for cargo van scaling and they are usually noted on signs prior to the scale house. Just because a sign says all commercial vehicles it doesn't necessarily mean vans. It depends on a given States definition of a commercial vehicle. Confusing quite often.

The carriers that I know of only require you to legally plate in conformance with your home State regulations