Van/box truck over 10k GVW

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I am thinking to get van or box truck that is over 10k lb
What is the disadvantage of it?
Probably you need Mc and dot number
And you have to go though weight stations.
Is there any thing else that make it no sense to get one?
Thanks

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
I do not know but My guess is that you can carry heavy and irregular loads With higher rates
My intention was to get a diesel Heavy duty sprinter cutaway body and build a longest and tallest box On it
But all that DOT registrations doesn’t sound good

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I do not know but My guess is that you can carry heavy and irregular loads With higher rates
My intention was to get a diesel Heavy duty sprinter cutaway body and build a longest and tallest box On it
But all that DOT registrations doesn’t sound good
And not being dock high, you still won't get the larger loads.

Reactions: Turtle

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Is there anything good about it?
A long while ago I used to drive a 15' cube van E450 super duty. Not dock high. When I used it for longer runs the lousy gas mileage (roughly 10 miles per gallon)killed my earnings. But I was able to drive local for a start up company at the time and was kept extremely busy delivering to local businesses. A lot of auto parts and bins with bolts and screws in them. I got payed by the load, not by the mile. It worked out real well because my vehicle could hold heavy loads and I didn't have to drive far. Sometimes only 10 miles or so There are possibilities with that type of vehicle but much more so if driving local and kept busy to utilize the vehicle's advantages. But this was well over 10 years ago when I did that.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator

You'll be competing with all the cube van guys who run illegally (saying they are under 10k etc) who routinely haul heavy...so no rate bump. I would agree with the run locally idea, stay within 100 miles of home and some of that DOT pressure goes away.

Reactions: muttly

sarniko

Seasoned Expediter
Driver
You'll be competing with all the cube van guys who run illegally (saying they are under 10k etc) who routinely haul heavy...so no rate bump. I would agree with the run locally idea, stay within 100 miles of home and some of that DOT pressure goes away.

I never understood why you want to overload the vehicle that it is not designed to Just for extra pay and and spend way more later on repairs and shorten it life
And same time putting your life in danger.Is Doesn’t make sense to me.