Van age

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
just curiosity i have seen new vans to vans made in the early 90's. I know some companys have equipment age dates, so heres the question: How old is your C/V and what is the oldest you have ran a C/V before retirement?

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
I have 3 cv 1 is 2003 E150 478000 miles 2 is 2005 E250 230000 miles 3 is 2009 E250 113000 miles I have seen cv that have had a million miles if u keep the up keep on them

Sent from my PC36100 using EO Forums

blizzard2014

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ford and General Motors plants all have higher standards and do not allow equipment older than 10 years old onto their plants. Any carriers who send in older equipment or trailers will be removed from the Ford and GM program and not allowed to bid on their freight. So, as long as it is not over 10 years old, you should be fine.

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
I have 3 cv 1 is 2003 E150 478000 miles 2 is 2005 E250 230000 miles 3 is 2009 E250 113000 miles I have seen cv that have had a million miles if u keep the up keep on them

Millionmilevan.com bolt driver with 1. 2 million miles on it...

Sent from my Droid

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just retired my 95 chevy, and never had aproblem going into a Ford or GM plant.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I don't have an issue with GM going into their plants with either the truck I own or the truck I do the Canadian work for. I noticed that Pole Town and Orion both have had a number of old trucks going in and out in the last few months.

RedBird

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
We run a 1998 Ford E-150 CV, and a 1997 Dodge B2500 CV. I've never had any issues delivering into any places I delivered to!

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
You have a 150 out there? Can it hold 2 skids? If not, that's a fair amount of miles for a 1 skid van. For that matter, even if it can hold 2 skids, the 3 vehicles combined seems to keep ya fairly busy. Congrats.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
You have a 150 out there? Can it hold 2 skids? If not, that's a fair amount of miles for a 1 skid van. For that matter, even if it can hold 2 skids, the 3 vehicles combined seems to keep ya fairly busy. Congrats.

Yes it can it is the same size cargo space as a E250

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm running a '98 Chevy 2500, presently it has 222,000 miles on it. I've had some issues with it, mostly caused by the fact that it sat for two years (the previous owner drove it 200 miles in two years) so there were problems caused by that. I'm past the worst of that now, the engine is healthy, the trans gives no trouble and the rest of it is standard wear and tear on a '98.

DannyD

Veteran Expediter
I'm feeling pretty stupid here. I always thought they were shorter & not able to hold 2 skids. That's why I thought that companies always wanted us to get the 3/4 or 1 ton.

What's the advantage of the 3/4 ton? Is it the suspension?

Yes it can it is the same size cargo space as a E250

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm feeling pretty stupid here. I always thought they were shorter & not able to hold 2 skids. That's why I thought that companies always wanted us to get the 3/4 or 1 ton.

What's the advantage of the 3/4 ton? Is it the suspension?

That's it, the suspension, brakes, tires, rear-axle--- the heavier vans can carry more weight. The cubic capacity of a standard van remains the same whether it's a 150, 250 or 350, but the weight the vans can carry is what makes the difference. I wouldn't dare load a 1500 Chevy with the weight my 2500 can carry, and you won't catch me trying to load the weight a 3500 is good for on my van. It's not worth what I'd break trying it.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ton rating on the van does not figure into length. You want to get the longest you can find they come in different cargo lengths.

guido4475

Not a Member
Ford and General Motors plants all have higher standards and do not allow equipment older than 10 years old onto their plants. Any carriers who send in older equipment or trailers will be removed from the Ford and GM program and not allowed to bid on their freight. So, as long as it is not over 10 years old, you should be fine.

I know were talking about vans here, but I found it really funny when I used to run a 10-wheeler and I'd pull into the GM stamping plant on Chevrolet Blvd in Parma, Ohio, at the guard shack,They'd ask to see the registration, open the door, and check the door sticker as well for the model year of the vehicle.I asked them why theyre doing this, and they said, "Because too many towmotors are falling through the floors of these small trucks"......I sat there and laughed, and, of course, being the rent a cops they are, asking me why I was laughing, I told them, if they knew that the cargo box was removable and many people would transfer the box onto their newer vehicle...They were dumbfounded, of course...They should of been checking the box year instead, found on most, on the lower front left corner of the box...And, then, of course, there was a towmotor driver in Louisville that insisted I slide my tandems to the rear before she would go into my truck...which happened to be a 10- wheeler straight truck...lol..

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
thanks every one i was just wondering why there was such a wide range of ages when i now most companys require 10 years or newer

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
thanks every one i was just wondering why there was such a wide range of ages when i now most companys require 10 years or newer

Most being the operative word. My van is a 02 but my back up van is a 78 the company I am signed with does not care. They are more worried about looks. Neither van is a rusted dented pos. Both are clean and presentable. The 78 has close to 600,000 on it. The 02 will turn 260,000 before years end.

Many want even newer than 10 year old vans. I was approached by a local courier company that wanted 09 or newer, offered roughly 250 miles a day and 6-800 dollars a week. I laughed and said after fuel, insurance and the van payment I'd be lucky to break even. Local vans get driven hard. I have seen the doors fall off gm's because the doors are opened and closed 30 times a day. Had I been dumb enough to sign on with them the van likely would be junk long before the last payment made.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
and u probably would be payin on it well past the companys cut off age ... wat company (if i may ask) do u dirve for that has no age consideration? i love vehicles and have always maintained them well paint body mechnical (it helps i got family in all branches of the auto and big rig services areas) i wouldnt drive old but i dont see the point of sayin a 95 or and 01 is unexceptible if they r well maitained and are stright bodied

pm me if that is more exceptable if youd like

Last edited:

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
and u probably would be payin on it well past the companys cut off age ... wat company (if i may ask) do u dirve for that has no age consideration? i love vehicles and have always maintained them well paint body mechnical (it helps i got family in all branches of the auto and big rig services areas) i wouldnt drive old but i dont see the point of sayin a 95 or and 01 is unexceptible if they r well maitained and are stright bodied

pm me if that is more exceptable if youd like

American expediting. It might just be up to the local office on age. But I was told "i don't care how old it is as long as its reliable and clean"

We do very little otr stuff though. Must is running it out from a terminal or airline or to the terminal or airline.

The funny thing is except for the dash you can't tell the difference of a 08 or 96 Ford. Same with gm back to 03. Many companies have seen my experience (panther, local hot shot company....) and told me they would sign me if I didn't tell people how old the van was.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

stonewolf

Seasoned Expediter
thats true ... im an otr guy with panther but im lookin for a longer van but they have the 10 year rule and i havent found a van that suits my needs newer then that ... i have been thinking sprinter but even used sprinters are more then some new vans lol

smarian

Seasoned Expediter
I took my old mule to the graveyard last year, '99 GMC 445,000 mi - I made del to all GM and Ford plants both US and Canada. That is a myth invented by some carriers to make them look good on your expense. That is the same situation with those telling to buy a Sprinter to get contracted. They do not invest a penny.