van advice needed

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I am looking at putting a h/w team in my truck and moving to a van for my solo operation. I'm pretty up to date on the van debate so that's not what I need. What I'm looking for is advice on setting up a Sprinter or an Aerocell as well as operating one as far as maint. intervals/options/hints/tips/tricks. I'm thinking of adding two fantastic vents to the roof, one left front and one right rear. I'm looking for input on comfort options i.e. heating/cooling/power when stopped also. I'll be going back to find the threads by our experts but confess the PhD level threads on batteries etc. exceed my undergrad understanding level so I'm hoping for some readers digest versions as well.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm debating all the options but it looks like a 4500/450 chassis would be big enough and presumably a little better on mpg. I haven't completely eliminated Sprinters from the suspect list either.

ebsprintin

Veteran Expediter
Welcome to the fray Leo. Vans are a very personal kind of thing making for a billion variables, so I would recommend starting out bare minimum even with the fantastic vent. Try one vent and see if another is really necessary--that kind of process. I started with a semi-built-in bunk that I thought would be ideal, and I am now sleeping on a regular camp cot. I started with a monster apu/ac, and it has since been dumped and replaced with a single fantastic vent. As you get comfortable with how the space works with freight then you'll be able to better see what options you want to add and what are feasible. You will come up to speed a lot faster than an expediter newbie, but it still helps to see first-hand what happens to your sleeper space when you start adding freight to it.

I'm reentering the sprinter van world as we speak and my bare minimum looks something like this. E-track and plywood floor. Foil bubble insulation through out. That wonderful fantastic vent. Folding camp cot, sleeping bag, and therma-rest pad (these all pack out of the way if the freight gets too big). One or two action packer kind of boxes to serve as something like foot lockers until you figure out a more permanent storage set up to your liking. Electric cooler. If I recall you use your computer for navigation, so a computer mount, like a Ram system is probably going to be useful.

By autumn you'll know where to have them install your espar heater and what kind of auxiliary batteries you want to add. The extra batteries may come earlier, but the real key is to get out on the road before committing too much to the rigging.

eb

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
My first suggestion to you would be advice on the roof vent fan - I'd strongly recommend you check out the MaxxAir product:

MaxxFan

Key feature is the rain shield is integral to the unit - allowing you to have have it open and actually use it during inclement weather (in addition to having it open while you drive) - as opposed to just buying a product that will close itself when it starts raining.

I'd also suggest getting the motorized model with the handheld remote control - I wish I had - mine is all manual meaning I have to have to open or close it by hand when I want to ..... usually that isn't a problem ...... unless I have tall skid loaded and then reaching it can be a problem :rolleyes: If I had the remote, then all I would to do is hit a button and the motor would open or close the vent - and I could control the fan speed, the temperature that it comes on at, and whether it's blowing in or out remotely as well. As it is now, the only thing I can do with the model I have, is turn it on or off from the front of the vehicle.

BTW, my best cooling results are with the fan blowing in and the front windows cracked about an inch or so for exhaust vents - this seems to cool off the interior better. If I do the reverse of that, I can lie in the bunk and hold up my hand and feel the cool air being pulled across the ceiling ..... and out the vent ...... while I lie there sweating below ....... :mad:

Last edited:

mhwhite9977

Seasoned Expediter
I know it is not actually what you want to hear but my opinion as an expediter is to run from the van. The expedite buisness is full of lies like any other trucking indivision but look at practicality. I see the company I am with shying away from vans and more into the minis aka almost trucks JK. They are capable of handling much more yet maneuverable enough to be used when 53' isnt practical. There is not enough call for 4 whld vans for their use to be permanently wide spread. My opinion of course.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
mhwhite... The van niche is saturated but provides a very practical function. I just drove nearly 2000 paid miles in 48 hours as a solo. Can't do that in a truck which requires logging. The vans offer maximum freedom and minimum hassle. Yeah, it generates less revenue... but that's a tradeoff I am willing to make.

Leo... make sure to get an extended van. I follow a bare-bones approach. Very few, if any amenities. Well, there's the XM radio.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Hope you don't mind LDB if I break into your thread to ask a question.... but I would be really interested to hear from the van/sprinters that CAN carry 3 skids (along with a sleeper space), how often, like what percentage of the total loads, you are carrying 3 skids vs 2. (ie is it often enough to worry about getting one that can carry 3?)

guido4475

Not a Member
Please accept my apology for not knowing how to start a new thread here, but when installing e-track on a ford e-350, do i need to drop the fuel tank to be able to get underneath to bolt the e-track to the floor?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Leo,
I saw a 4500 with an unicell box the other day at a pickup. He had the box setup for a sleeper. I got to talk to the guy for a minute and he said he was getting 14 out of it driving it sanely.

He had almost as much box space as I have, make me wonder.....

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hey Guido, In my Savanna I spot welded the e-track in, that way there is no chance of it getting rip out in a sudden stop comes about and no chance of moisture getting around the bolts and creating rust.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have thought about welding it to the floor, but I wasnt sure if welding it would mess up the ecm's on the van or not.But that would be alot better and eaier to do. I am planning on putting 2 rows on the floor, and one on each sidewall. I would hope that would be enough.I would think straps would be used most of the time,so I am not planning for load bars to be used.Thanks for the reply.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I am curious, how do you spot weld the stuff in place?

Do you mean you tack it in place or fill in the holes?

Disconnect the battery to prevent ECM problems. .