Vacuum Pump Issues

ExFedEx

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Owner/Operator
There is a grinding noise coming out from under my hood that can be heard from the drivers seat quite well. A familiar sound, just like how the vacuum pump sounded like last time it blew on me, last October. Instead of being held hostage at a dealer that claims they are serving my best interests and charging me $731.16 to replace the SECOND vacuum pump that went out a mere two years earlier, does anyone have an email address of a wholesaler that I can order this part from and do it myself? I have a 1998 Ford E-350 7.3 liter diesel engine that runs strong with 506,500 miles on it, and will keep on running strong if these silly parts don't keep going bad on me...

Any help is appreciated :)

Eric
The ExFedEX

Last edited:

pelgrn

Expert Expediter
If it's that pump ya should't have any power brakes,the brakes work there just hard to push without the pump working.Try MDI in Crown Point I.N 219 663 7286 they have them and injectors,egr valves,and other stuff.

Trailblazer

Expert Expediter
Eric,

The pump is not all that hard to replace. Take the belt off, disconnect the vac hose and remove the 3 bolts. Getting the pulley off the pump is the hardest unless you have the special puller made for it.

It's a known problem with the 7.3 powerstroke. I'm on my 5th one now. They only last about 150,000 miles. I've tried Ford, and after market units. The one I got from Auto Zone seems to have held up the longest. (216,000 miles)

Good luck,
Jim

guido4475

Not a Member
I was going to say, Autozone has them for around $98.00, and they are easy to replace.My 2003 e-350 with a 7.3 has been doing it for some time, but I am not 100% sure it is coming from the air pump.But it is getting louder as time goes on.

letzrockexpress

Veteran Expediter
Grinding noise? Powerstroke? I don't know what you guys are talking about. I saw a commercial for a vacuum pump on TV last night. They say it really improves quality of life for men. Maybe you guys should check it out....:cool:

Last edited:

guido4475

Not a Member
Okay,Letsrocket, what kind of tv were you watching? Anyway, my E-350 with a 7.3makes a whirring noise.Ryder replaced the power steering pump, thinking it was that.But it still makes it.Alot of people told me it was the air pump.So not wanting to spend $$$ and it not be that, I took the belt off and started the engine.If it did not make the noise without the belt,Then I would know it was a belt-driven accessory.Well, it still made the noise even with the belt off with the engine running, which is telling me it is internal, sounding like it is coming from the front of the engine.I'm thinking it is the timing chain, if it has one, or the timing gears, whatever setup it may have.The noise gets louder with the raising of the rpm's, and gets quieter as the rpm's slow down.It runs great, has excellent oil pressure,and only has 180k on the odometer.I guess it could be the oil pump also, kinda hard to tell excactly at this point. anybody ever have this kind of problem? It has been doing that since I bought it, but no one can figure it out.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
ExFed, you don't ever want to go back to that dealership again. They hosed you big time! This may be the only repair that is truly easy to do on the E350 powerstroke. No more than an hour of labor if the guy knows what he's doing. I probably went through 4 or 5 of them on mine.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Anyway, my E-350 with a 7.3makes a whirring noise.Ryder replaced the power steering pump, thinking it was that.But it still makes it.

That is the high pressure pump for the fuel system making the noise. I had this problem with a number of my cube trucks and only one failed.

guido4475

Not a Member
Thanks, Greg.Is this external,and is this something I can do myself? Is this similar to the huei system found on a cat 3126?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I have heard a number of people replacing it by themselves but I never did the work myself so I can't say how difficult it is. I think it is sitting at the same location as the 6.2/6.5 GM diesels.

It seems to be like the 3126, same principle but I think there is an external accumulator somewhere, my ford books are put away in storage.

guido4475

Not a Member
Thanks for the info. I have to say, it is getting louder, to the level that it sounds like I have a blower under the hood.I do get some funny looks from people.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Thanks for the info. I have to say, it is getting louder, to the level that it sounds like I have a blower under the hood.I do get some funny looks from people.

I would get it looked at at a ford truck dealer. It sounds like it may fail soon.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
There is a grinding noise coming out from under my hood that can be heard from the drivers seat quite well. A familiar sound, just like how the vacuum pump sounded like last time it blew on me, last October. Instead of being held hostage at a dealer that claims they are serving my best interests and charging me $731.16 to replace the SECOND vacuum pump that went out a mere two years earlier, does anyone have an email address of a wholesaler that I can order this part from and do it myself? I have a 1998 Ford E-350 7.3 liter diesel engine that runs strong with 506,500 miles on it, and will keep on running strong if these silly parts don't keep going bad on me...

Any help is appreciated :)

Eric
The ExFedEX

Eric,
Wow. As Star said, they hosed ya... I'm on my second one, wish I knew why they go out... I checked out how the mechanic did it, and it's no biggie. Around 90 bucks at Advance auto.. lifetime warranty.. so got the second one free.

:)

Dale