Used Tractor Purchase

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I should know this, but I don't. So... I'm going to ask here, rather than search to see what happens.

I'm seriously considering on purchasing a cheap, used, old tractor. More than likely a cabover, to use as a project truck for myself and my sons- and was wondering what all I needed or did not need for the government. DOT Inspections? IFTA stickers? different taxes?
I could ask my insurance co., but I'm not sure when exactly this will take place- so here I can print this info out and have it on file so when it does take place I'm armed with the correct information. It would NOT be used for commercial hauling- at least not right away. The truck would be operational though in all aspects of a tractor capable of hauling freight.

Ok, blast away.
Thank you.
BigBusBob.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm seriously considering on purchasing a cheap, used, old tractor. More than likely a cabover, to use as a project truck for myself and my sons- and was wondering what all I needed or did not need for the government.
Ok, blast away.

A CABOVER! Hey, you said blast away, so I did. I remember from your posts long ago that you are a COE guy and I don't image you have piloted many motor coaches with hoods. My personal observation in the past 4 or 5 years is that cabovers are now cool. I see more and more COEs on the road pulling mainly flats and grain trailers. Anyone else notice this trend? You may end up paying a premium over an older conventional. Just an anecdotal observation, but may be worth looking into.

Last edited:

tenntrucker

Expert Expediter
So, letting it go huh? Have you decided to go into a sprinter or cargomax?

Not me, saw it listed while looking around out of daytime boredom. As long as I do this, it will be in a straight truck.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
This would be a Cabover with NO box on the back... I'd be wanting to use it as a tractor- for work and pleasure- as in for possible truck shows and perhaps a parade here and there.

I've been researching prices and various makes and models, as well as conditions of these trucks. IF you look deep enough and look around- not just on the internet, you CAN Find Good Used trucks for less than 3 to 5 thousand (3,000 to 5,000). Ultimately, I'm looking to find a "barn find" as some call them- a truck that's been sort of neglected. Worked, but not to the point of being useless or a complete rust bucket. Some of you might be surprised, start looking- believe it or not I've found some neat class 8 trucks/tractors at of all places Used Car Lots!! These trucks are nowhere near pretty, or shined up- often times the paint is badly faded and the truck has surface rust in spots. But- that's what I'm looking for! Under $3,000!

I've come across a few, KW's, Freightliners, and Internationals. You pay a premium for Peterbilt- yes, even their cabovers. And you pay a premium for the KW and International Aerodyne/Condo style cabovers. Especially the KW K100E. Ultimately, sure- I'd love to find a KW K100E- but it's not going to happen for under 5k, if you do find one under 6 or 8- it's usually needing some kind of major work.

I'm curious about: When I do find this steal of a deal I'm seeking, and I choose to drive it home from ?? What do I need to have? Can I just call my insurance co. and say "Hi, I got a Class 8 tractor, can you throw some insurance on it until I get home?" Surely there's more involved? Maybe not, but I figured somebody here on EO would know or know somebody who would... I have not called OOIDA yet on this- figured I'd strike up a post here and perhaps we could figure it all out here and learn from each other.

Do I need to get a DOT inspection if it's going a certain mileage? tags? if it's going to be registered as a recreational vehicle at 1st, what do I need?
I've heard in the past that a vehicle can only be registered as an RV if it's got certain living criteria aspects within it... Galley, full restroom.

IF I decide to register it as a commercial vehicle, is that easier- to a certain extent? what all is needed? I imagine that's a good bit more money though? or ?

What, if you were buying a cabover, would you seek in a truck?... Type of transmission? Tire brand/type, and size? and why? Gear Ratio's? and why? This is new territory for me- as always being a contract driver and/or a company driver- these are things that are not normally paid attention to. Remember, these question would apply Only for a cabover/class 8 Tractor- so there's going to be some difference in answers I know... and reasons for them.

I'd consider a single axle tractor, but really would prefer a 3 axle tractor.
I am seeking a condo though, because I really do Not want a flat top- I'm a tall guy, and got 3 kids... we need our space!
"Worse Case scenario" is I find a conventional tractor that's simply I can't live without- but I doubt it, it'd be a Freightliner or KW. I like the ride of a Pete, but not the styling. I like a Mack, but it's got to be done up just right. I like some Western Stars, and some Internationals- but prefer International cabover's over their conventional's. Never been overly thrilled with Volvo's- but always wanted to try out a 770 or 780.

What would it be pulling? a flatbed for hay, and a dry van... but that's much later. Right now, going after a rig to bring back to life... cosmetically- and maybe some minor mechanical work.

BBB

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I'm somewhat surprised, thought this would have gotten more attention than it has- especially when I asked about technical set ups... No Offense here--> However, given the large number of straight truckers and 4 wheel haulers here- it's not a complete surprise that there's not much here for this thread... Perhaps if it was moved to Truck Talk?? Don't know, I'll try a couple other places. Then I'll call OOIDA for regulatory questions.

BigBusBob

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I drove my cabover straight from Washington state all the way to Michigan. As I recall, I had to buy one or two permits, and PDQ expediting's ok to use their numbers. I gritted my teeth going across MN, as I didn't buy their permit. Wisconsin was a beautiful site. :D

Get yourself insurance; and try to get a temporary tag from your state. Michigan wouldn't give one, because you're allowed to drive a vehicle directly home from the place of purchase without a plate. Some states don't like that. Also, check with every state you go thru to see if you need a temporary permit. It saves time and trouble.

Monty

Expert Expediter
I drove several tractors back from California. I used a temporay plate provided by the dealer. If it is not, at the moment, a commercial vehicle, as in having signs, fuel permits, etc, then it is NOT a commercial vehicle at all.

That said, it is DESIGNED to be one, so if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck, etc then some inspector somewhere may indeed chase you down looking for an explaination.

Insurance, however is another matter ... be sure it is indeed covered before you move it the first foot! People like Progressive are your best solution I would think.

As for cabover's ..... way to go ... I enjoy them also!

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I too drove my COE from Vegas to Indiana. I bought it in Ca but there was a large financial penalty if I took delivery in Cal and did not use it in Cal. It was a few hundred bucks to have a driveaway driver bring it to me in Vegas,but it was cheaper.
I got busted twice. I bought two permits enroute. I remember Join was a problem. I talked nice and got away cheap. That officer thought that Illinois would force me to buy a plate.
I got a dealer plate from a friend in Mo and finished the trip.
The specifics aren't etched in my mind as I sent everything back to the dealer in Cal for reimbursement.
I strongly advise 1) get a temp plate from somewhere 2) see if you need temp fuel permits from each state you travel through. 3) take a pocket full of cash with you.
Good luck: it'll be an adventure.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, so that I understand... and to verify... To Buy a Class 8, three axle Tractor (Cabover), to move it to the house I need and/or Really Really should be ready to get:

Of Course temporary Insurance (What kind though?)

And Fuel Permits- found at? the scales? and/or ?
Like I said, always being a contract driver- this has not been something I've ever had to worry about. So I'm learning slowly (thank you).

Do truck stops sell fuel permits? I'm doubting it, but I don't know.

And get a plate from ? The highway Dept./DMV? or ?

Then I'm ready to roll with the beast??

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Bob, I would guess your local DMV would be a good start.
My last truck I just let a permit service handle the title and IRP plate.
They do this everyday and I was busy doing other things I couldn't farm out.