US Supreme Court upholds key Arizona immigration clause

EnglishLady

Veteran Expediter
BBC

The US Supreme Court has upheld a key part of a tough Arizona immigration law that would give new powers to police to check the immigration status of people stopped and arrested.

However, three of four challenges brought by the Obama administration were upheld by the court.

The US government had argued the law infringed on federal rights to oversee immigration policy.

Five other states have adopted variations of the Arizona law.

A provision known as Section 2(B), that requires police to make a "reasonable attempt... to determine the immigration status" of anyone who is stopped for another violation, was upheld by the Supreme Court.

The court ruled it was too early to tell whether the clause caused a conflict with federal laws, but added that the provision could be open to legal challenge again at a later date.

Justice Anthony Kennedy, who wrote the opinion for the court, said the justices were unanimous in their decision to allow the "check your papers" provision to come into effect. The court was divided on other issues.

One Supreme Court Justice, Antonin Scalia, dissented from the case, saying he would uphold all parts of the Arizona law.

Immigration has become a key issue as the US edges closer to this year's presidential election.

President Barack Obama recently outlined a plan to allow hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants who came to the US as children the option of legal status and work permits.

His Republican rival Mitt Romney has opposed Mr Obama's plan, but has not said how he would address the issue of immigration.

Both men are courting Hispanic votes ahead of their showdown in November.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Interesting how headlines for the same story can be so strikingly different. One says US Supreme Court upholds key Arizona immigration clause, another one says High court strikes down key parts of Arizona immigration law. It's the same story. LOL

This reporting casually mentions the part that was upheld, and then focuses on that which was struck down.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I think it's funny that critics of the law, both that of which was upheld and that which was struck down, label it as "racial profiling", as if immigration status is somehow a race. It's absurd to claim that Arizona cops would pull people over and inquire as to their immigration status solely because of someone's racial profile. If that were true, then 90% of Arizona would be regularly pulled over.

Asian immigrants now outnumber Latino immigrants by a sizable margin. Does that mean we have to hate Asians now? I need a score card.

MCGohio1985

Active Expediter
Thay where probable cause comes in to play checking there status is a 2ed offence but whats the point in checking there status if thay can't arrest the ones who aren't supposed to be here

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
barry and his minions have made it clear that no matter if they are here legally or illegally, it makes no difference..come here are seek citizenship and dont break any law and you are fine...come here illegally and dont break ANY OTHER law, and you are fine.....

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nope, only the ones without brains, our who think they have a right to Other People's Money. Wait, I forgot, that fits plenty of Romney supporters, too.

Read again the parameters as put forth by Witness. It includes those who may vote for Obama, as well as those who may not vote for Obama. That's everybody.

piattteam

Active Expediter
So, they think it is profiling if you detain a "latino" during a traffic stop, to check his legal status.
I am a former police officer, and worked in TN., near Memphis. I can GUARANTY YOU, if I stopped a WHITE person, speaking in a SOUTHERN accent, and he did not have a VALID drivers license, or VALID government identification, HE WAS DETAINED!!!!!!!!!
Why certain peoples think the ILLEGAL aliens should be polly coddled is beyond me!!!!
They cost every law abiding, tax paying, hard working American LOTS OF MONEY!!!!!!
Not here LEGALLY, GO HOME!!!!!
My mother is an alien and came here LEGALLY! She remains in our country LEGALLY!!!!

witness23

Veteran Expediter
Read again the parameters as put forth by Witness. It includes those who may vote for Obama, as well as those who may not vote for Obama. That's everybody.

Sorry, since everyone knows who the target audience is considering this bill, I figured you or anyone else could deduce from my post that I was speaking about those that are of a Latino descent. Latino's are a large voting block that both the Republicans and Democrats are vying for and they usually (not always) lean towards Democrats. Those evil brown people that just want to vote for their freebies and goodies that Obama has promised them <sarcasm>.

It's simple, the white conservative male is scared to death that they will lose their "rightful" place in the hierarchy of society that they will say and do anything to make others that do not share their characteristics look like they just don't belong.

Look how they've portrayed our President. When you have someone of different color skin it makes that maneuver so much easier. Try accusing another white President with the things they've accused Obama of, it aint gonna happen, because it just won't stick. It does to someone of color though and they know it. What group of people makes up the soapbox? Middle aged white guys. Take a look around in all your glory of the total horse chit that gets thrown around here as the Gospel truth. The soapbox would actually make for a good case study on the paranoia of the American White Middle Aged Male.

You got this whole immigration thing, the attempts at voter suppression(I.D.) laws and the Holder Fast and Furious B.S. the Republicans are grasping at straws here, cuz they got nothin' else. Oh, they got Romney, a Mormon, he's the right colored skin but the Evangelicals in the United States are not going to vote for no Mormon, believe me. Who do the Republicans always have on their side and a pretty large voting block? Evangelicals. For the record, I consider myself an Evangelical, but I'm probably not your poster child Evangelical, because most of 'em are racists and or bigot's and despise that. You will have Evangelicals voting for Romney just for the fact of the color of his skin. Because it sure aint because he's a leader, a Christian(by their definition), or someone who say's what he means and means what he say's. The guy's a joke and most of America know's it.

The Republicans have overplayed their hand. Just go back and look at the Republican debates, Romney has painted himself in a corner so badly he can't give a straight answer on anything, let alone immigration policy.

I will give the Republicans "props" for an entertaining couple of years though, they rank right up their with the Kardashians, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Jersey Shore and Dance Moms.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sorry, since everyone knows who the target audience is considering this bill, I figured you or anyone else could deduce from my post that I was speaking about those that are of a Latino descent. Latino's are a large voting block that both the Republicans and Democrats are vying for and they usually (not always) lean towards Democrats. Those evil brown people that just want to vote for their freebies and goodies that Obama has promised them <sarcasm>.

It's simple, the white conservative male is scared to death that they will lose their "rightful" place in the hierarchy of society that they will say and do anything to make others that do not share their characteristics look like they just don't belong.

Look how they've portrayed our President. When you have someone of different color skin it makes that maneuver so much easier. Try accusing another white President with the things they've accused Obama of, it aint gonna happen, because it just won't stick. It does to someone of color though and they know it. What group of people makes up the soapbox? Middle aged white guys. Take a look around in all your glory of the total horse chit that gets thrown around here as the Gospel truth. The soapbox would actually make for a good case study on the paranoia of the American White Middle Aged Male.

You got this whole immigration thing, the attempts at voter suppression(I.D.) laws and the Holder Fast and Furious B.S. the Republicans are grasping at straws here, cuz they got nothin' else. Oh, they got Romney, a Mormon, he's the right colored skin but the Evangelicals in the United States are not going to vote for no Mormon, believe me. Who do the Republicans always have on their side and a pretty large voting block? Evangelicals. For the record, I consider myself an Evangelical, but I'm probably not your poster child Evangelical, because most of 'em are racists and or bigot's and despise that. You will have Evangelicals voting for Romney just for the fact of the color of his skin. Because it sure aint because he's a leader, a Christian(by their definition), or someone who say's what he means and means what he say's. The guy's a joke and most of America know's it.

The Republicans have overplayed their hand. Just go back and look at the Republican debates, Romney has painted himself in a corner so badly he can't give a straight answer on anything, let alone immigration policy.

I will give the Republicans "props" for an entertaining couple of years though, they rank right up their with the Kardashians, Dog the Bounty Hunter, Jersey Shore and Dance Moms.

At least when Obama wins again. they can't say he doesn't have executive experience....;)

First McCain and now Romney....what are they thinking?...

cableguymn

Seasoned Expediter
At least when Obama wins again. they can't say he doesn't have executive experience....;)

First McCain and now Romney....what are they thinking?...

it was their turn.

the GOP does not want to be in power. They want the perks of the job but none of the blame when TSHTF.

They are perfectly happy to be in the minority.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
it was their turn.

the GOP does not want to be in power. They want the perks of the job but none of the blame when TSHTF.

They are perfectly happy to be in the minority.

Where did you come up with that one?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using EO Forums

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

A flat out race baiting post.