Unofficial loads

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
I see a lot of posts from people who are sitting in one place for a couple days waiting for a load. Is it "illegal" for you to search for a load on your own? IE, maybe find a local load, or one that takes you closer to a lane, while waiting?

Thanks!
Bugsy

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Some companies don't like you looking for loads on your own, while some don't allow it, period. Companies like Panther have their own backhaul dept. that lets you call in a load you find. Remember tho... if your company did not sanction the load, it's illegal to be on your truck.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
>Remember tho... if your company did not sanction
>the load, it's illegal to be on your truck.
>

Really? That stinks. So you basically gotta sit and wait, you can't even take the initiative to find a load!

What about using the truck for a personal move or load, totally non-profit, like helping a friend move something, would that be ok?

Thanks!
Bugsy

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I have been told by one carrier no loads on your own while another has sure go ahead.
Keep in mind it will vary from carrier to carrier so just ask. For those that will allow it they will more than likely ask for part of the 'cut'.
Either way ASK BEFORE YOU MOVE IT!

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Your truck is leased to a carrier unless you obtain your own authority. In otherwords all loads must be insured, and if you even for donating your truck to a orginization it is not allowed.

Bobtail insurance is for an empty truck, thus you would have no insurance if something happened.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
As far as doing a personal move, in my experience just let your carrier know. They'll tell you to put a "Not for hire" sign over your DOT numbers, and you're on your way. You still have to log and scale, but it's not a commercial load, and therefore doesn't need load insurance. Your liability, I believe, covers it.

"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know." - Kansas

easyrider2697

Expert Expediter
Well I can only speak for Panther and con-way now( before the buy-out), but I have always been able to book my own loads when they had nothing for me to run or I had a directional need, the only thing I have had to do is call the dispatcher or with Panther call the backhaul dept, and if the broker is not on the "do not use" list, they have always been happy to set the load up. As of right now, I am on a backhaul out of Ft. Bragg, N.C area heading to Ohio, with a quick drop in Pa, that is paying as good as a regular load for panther.
Panther gave us a list of brokers not to use, and set up a couple guidlines for us and told us when we needed to backhaul, set it up. I average about 1 broker load every 8-10 days to keep my truck moving.
Bug I dont know if my post helped answer your questions, but that is what I do.

Bugsy Siegel

Seasoned Expediter
> Bug I dont know if my post helped answer your questions,
>but that is what I do.

Perfectly, thanks *everyone* for your replies!

I'm starting to get pretty pumped about doing this. I don't know if I'll be able to wait until next spring to start, I almost want to go do it now. But common sense dictates patience.

:D

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
>As far as doing a personal move, in my experience just let
>your carrier know. They'll tell you to put a "Not for hire"
>sign over your DOT numbers, and you're on your way. You
>still have to log and scale, but it's not a commercial load,
>and therefore doesn't need load insurance. Your liability, I
>believe, covers it.
>
>"If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't
>know." - Kansas
I'd have to question the legality of covering your DOT numbers while you are still under contract . If questioned by the DOT , who is the vehicle registered to and insured by ?