Union Update!

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Many of you know that I started a post regarding us as expediters joining a union.

There were negative and positive feedback on this matter. During this process I have joined the OOIDA to assist in anyway I can to improve our overall economic standing in our industry.

However, I have had many drivers contact me and ask if I would continue the research and possible development of a union of us to join.

To update everyone, I am in opening discussions with the Teamsters as we speak.

If you would like any additional info or would like a form to sign for union represenation please feel free to contact me directly at [email protected] at anytime.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Now there's an honest, peaceful group to align one's self with. HUGE mistake. Better to spend that time working on adding OOIDA members where it potentially will do some good.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB, OOIDA 677319
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

Xpediter

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
chuck you dont speak for me. maybe you are in the wrong line of work, possibly consider a government job.

this is bs. go away

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
Absolutely not speaking for me either.

I got in to this business because I knew, in large part, I would be in charge of my own destiny. While I do rely on the company to make offers, I knew there were no guarantees on that either. I took a chance. I was willing to and made up my own mind to do it. I don't need another daddy or govt. like entity trying to tell me what is best for me and negotiatate for me. If I decide I don't like my situation I will make changes. I just can't understand why anyone would want to be in this business and a union. The mindset to be here just doesn't jive with the union mindset. I think most people feel the same. It is thier independence that drove them to this venture in the first place.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Chuckwagon,

Just curious - who are you leased too? What kind of truck are you running?

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
qoute-Many of you know that I started a post regarding us as expediters joining a union.
There were negative and positive feedback on this matter-unquote

I just went through that entire thread, somewhat hurriedly, and found 19 against, 2 for and 3 I couldn't tell. I may be off a little but not more than one two. Unless you had a really big number contact you I think you should have been able to determine the way this group feels. Why you would want to keep persueing this is beyond me.

I am also new to this industry so I certainly don't know everything or whats best for it but I know I don't want to be in a unionized industry.

I too, am curious as to what and who you drive for and whether you own your truck or drive someone elses.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

After sleeping on this, hearing Leo's post, searching my heart, and also wanting to stay committed to the OOIDA I WILL NO LONGER HAVE ANY CONVERSATION WITH THE TEAMSTERS OR ANY OTHER UNION!

THE POST ABOVE THIS IS CLEAR - PROFESSIONAL AND TO THE POINT!

We are better served by increasing the membership of the OOIDA and I really believe working together through them.

To answer the other questions, I am not signed on with anyone, as we find our own loads through a broker and various load boards.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I can speak for a few - if there is a union forced on us who drive for FedEx, we will sell the trucks.

A union as much as it sounds like it would help would not unless there is a clear guarantee that we get several offers a day, not have to worry about acceptance rates and get top dollar for each and every run. I know two of three items I listed will happen but then so will limited access to enter the industry (just like the auto industry) and more politics to do the work not to mention having less options in the long run and a slide in performance in customer service.

I thank Chuckwagon for the idea and the thoughts of helping all of us out and only hope he does not take my rejection personal

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
>To answer the other questions, I am not signed on with
>anyone, as we find our own loads through a broker and
>various load boards.

So, could you explain this to me - your "independent", you are not leased with a carrier, you get your loads from a broker - how exactly would a union represent you?

Something isn't adding up here.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Music soothes the savage beast - unless it's polka.

Going to church makes you a Christian about as much as standing in the garage makes you a car

You can build a man a fire and keep him warm for a day or you can set a man on fire and keep him warm for the rest of his life.

ACHTUNG!!! Das machine is nicht fur gefingerpoken und mittengrabben. Ist easy schnappen der springenwerk, blowenfuseen und corkenpoppen mit spitzensparken. Ist nicht fur gewerken by das dummkopfen. Das rubbernecken sightseeren keepen hands in das pockets. Relaxen und vatch das blinkenlights

Thanks For Visiting EO!
[p]
http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
Chuck

I have to be honest with you. What the H*ll are you thinking.
You can't get two driver's to agree on anything. Leo is right, OOIDA is the way to go. The teamsters don't give a crap about the O/O if they did they would have tried to do something with them along time ago. I'm sorry Chuck it's a great Ideal but you beating a dead horse on this.

exconway

Seasoned Expediter
>You can't get two driver's to agree on anything. Leo is
>right,

Ideal

I agree 100%. Unions have all but destroyed my neighborhood outside Pittsburg. The old timers convincing younger members to vote themselves out of a job. I just can't imagine one single element that closing a shop would do to improve our occupation. It's a horrible idea----- PERIOD

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
Let me first address Lawrence.

Lawrence - the whole point I am making is we need to get away from the WHAT IS IN IT JUST FOR ME.

I really want to improve the OVERALL economic situation for ALL OF US!

Lawrence - THIS REQUIRES US TO STAND TOGETHER FOR EACH OTHER - EACH OTHER - JUST NOT FOR ME OR JUST NOT FOR YOU.

Now, to everyone else - like I said in the post a few notches back in this thread - I have cancelled all meetings and conversations with the teamsters and will focus 100% of my effort on working with the OOIDA ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hdxpedx

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
As I drove past the "VACANT" FORD plant this morning-- I just don't see the pay-off!! That would force all to be employed!!! w/bosses!! no no no no

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think that many of you associate any union with the UAW. Teamsters are not that bad and same with the International Operating Engineers.

I still thank Chuckwagon for his efforts.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
excellent post greg. I've worked for several different unions, some good, some, not so much. The idea of someone in a position of power who is really looking out for the best intrest of its membership is a good thing. the nation labor union in 1866 persueded congress to pass the 8 hour day laws. the american federation of labor helped introduce woman and child labor laws in 1886. in 1902 the united mine workers got teddy roosevelt to apoint a commision of mediation and arbitration to improve working conditions and raise pay. in 1914 the afl facilitated the clayton act that created the department of labor. The post world war I depression brought wages down sharply and caused major erosion of union membership-a loss of about a million members in the years from 1920 to 1923. The difficulties were multiplied by the decision of the National Association of Manufacturers and other antiunion "open shop" groups to wipe out or seriously diminish the status of American , can unions. The fear of "Bolsheviks," often hysterical, that was nurtured by the Russian communist revolution was used gleefully by the antiunion forces. As early as 1913, President John Kirby of the NAM had decided the trade union movement was "an un-American, illegal and infamous conspiracy." As the Senate Civil Liberties Committee, headed by Sen. Robert LaFollette Jr., reported years later, such demands as "union recognition, shorter hours, higher wages, regulation of child labor and the hours and wages of women and children in industry" came to be seen-under the influence of the NAM-sponsored 'American Plan' -as aspects of the alleged communist revolution from which the anti-labor employers wanted to save the nation. Strikebreaking, blacklisting and vigilanteeism became, for a time, acceptable aspects of this new and spurious brand of patriotism. The "yellow dog contract," which workers had to sign in order to get a job, bound them never to join a union; at the same time, the corporations promoted employee representation plans or company unions-pale and generally useless imitations of the real thing. For the past forty years there has been a steady decline in both union membership and influence. There are several reasons for such a decline, the first having to do with employers keeping their businesses union-free. Some were active in their opposition and even hired consultants to devise legal strategies to combat unions. Other employers put workers on the management team by appointing them to the board of directors or establishing profit-sharing plans to reward employees. The second reason for union decline is that new additions to the labor force have traditionally had little loyalty to organized labor. Because more and more women and teenagers are working and their incomes tend to be a family's second income, they have a proclivity towards accepting lower wages, thus defeating the purpose of organized labor. The third and possibly the most important reason for the decline in unions is that they are victims of their own success. Unions raised their wages substantially above the wages paid to nonunion workers. Therefore, many union-made products have become so expensive that sales were lost to less expensive foreign competitors and nonunion producers. This resulted in companies having to cut back on production, which caused some workers to lose their jobs, and hence, unions some of their members. Also, the recent shift in this country towards technology and service has made our economy less reliant in the types of industrial jobs that tended to be union strongholds. Today's worker tends to more highly educated and tends to the professional, white coller class. All of these have conspired to decrease union membership.

chuckwagon

Seasoned Expediter
I will not agree or disagree on the reason behind the decline in membership within the union framework nor will I agree or disagree with the decline in the power the unions now have in our work enviroment today.

In fact, I believe in the union structure, for what is stands for and for what it can do.

The discussion here has been weather the union, in this case, I have brought up the Teamsters many times, would do us as expedite drivers any good as compared to the OOIDA.

While I believe the Teamsters could bring us some immediate power by numbers alone and some fairly rapid improvements, I am unsure they would be able to benefit us in the long term as I believe the OOIDA could do.

However, in order for the OOIDA to do us any good at all now or in the near and distant future we must greatly increase the membership base - until then it is my feeling - nothing else really matters. That is not to say the OOIDA will not be of benefit to us now - what I am saying is that we must increase this membership before anyone can take our efforts seriously.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Grog
You mentioned something that I think is the reason for the decline; “The third and possibly the most important reason for the decline in unions is that they are victims of their own success.†I would add to this that society has shifted values and in that shift came complacency in expectations as an entry level worker in the workforce.

I mean that the unions have caused a shift from the idea that entering on the bottom and working yourself up to entering is not good anymore but being hired and being somewhat equal to everyone else is. To me this was one of the successes of the union, fair and balanced work practices for all.

When I worked for that big bad pharma company, our interns were somewhat floored that anyone would want to or have to start at the bottom. When we hired college grads, their expectations were such as they wanted to make the big bucks NOW but failed to see the need to climb the ladder. The bad thing about this is it leaves voids in both the workforce and the individual’s experience.

Now the other thing I have to add, I submitted my application to OOIDA. I want to say that some people need to realize that when it comes to political action, do not wait until they tell you to get involved, start now. They have absolutely no power as a PAC without your name behind them and if you start with your elected officials before they ask for it, OOIDA and you will be ahead of the curve. If you believe in their work and that they will be a voice for you, donate to their PAC. I did not join them for their PAC but rather for the benefits. I have my own PAC to deal with.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
I think we should create our own holding company, buy Panther from Fenway, raise the rates, then start buying up companies that are paying less than average rates. Buy up load boards and brokers and logistic companies too!

Oh, and we could do like the farmers do, you know, pay farmers not to grow things! We could buy up the surplus vans and trucks and pay them not to drive!