UNDER 10,000 GVWR & DOT REGULATIONS

Chicken Leg

Expert Expediter
I have been thinking about buying a Sprinter 3500 cutaway cab and
having a Supreme 14' box added. Since the GVWR is 9990, I was wondering if there is any truth to what have been told. A friend said that DOT does not consider trucks under 10,000 to be commercial and therefore is not subject to regulations. And also that most states also see it this way. This would mean no logging, no hours or operations concerns, no weigh stations, no IFTA, ETC. Is this good information or am I simply dreaming?

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
If you are hauling Haz-Mat you will need to stop at scales and also have a log book. If your vehicle has company Logo on the side, i.e. FedEx, Panther, etc.. when the scale in any state says all commercial vehicles must enter...that's you! Hope this helps. That is why some operators use magnetic signs. Good luck and have fun. Keep us posted how you make out and please pass along some of your experiences, both good and bad.

pendiehouse

Expert Expediter
I did lots of research on this topic myself. You are correct that a vehicle of 10k lbs or less is not a "commercial vehicle" and is not subject to the FMCSA rules. You will have to obtain authority from the state you will operate in. In Michigan, it's the MPSC. Other states will require you to have similar authority to carry freight into or through their state. Hope this helps.