U ship

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Does anyone have any experience with Uship. Is this somthing worthwhile you can do on your down time? Are Panther CV allowed to do it, since there isnt any backhauls for CVs

Dont steal, the government hates competition. ~Ron Paul~

paullud

Veteran Expediter
99% of the time it is a waste, cheap freight and most deals are never completed.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just judging by what I saw on the website: Barely worth it even if you do snag a run heading home. The rates tend to get bid below the price of fuel for the run, I have a hard time imagining staying in business like that.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
UShip only works if one spends a lot of time putting a few loads together....some make a full time job of it.....if one can keep about 2-3 loads on the van at a time it works...

shadow7663

Expert Expediter
UShip only works if one spends a lot of time putting a few loads together....some make a full time job of it.....if one can keep about 2-3 loads on the van at a time it works...

So Ken please share with us your experience with U Ship. Have you used it? If so how often? What type of things did you haul? What rates did you charge?

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
U-ship?? LOL...hey i know a guy that hauls dogs for people....If you are having problems getting loaded with the kitty, why stay??

I am thinking that ...well, just what are you looking for from Panther?? You say there are no "backhauls" for CV's at Panther..are you loking to get back home after each run? Are yu looking to get to a certain area of the country after each run? I mean in expediting, "backhauls" persay, aren't the norm...you get loaded in city "X" deliver in city "Y" and waitfor a load...the next load might be 1-2-3 days away depending on where city "Y" is and then after waiting you might get loaded in ciy "F" going to city "Q"...so see there is no "backhaul" to city "X"...Now if you are just looking to get loaded after you drop and not particularly looking to go "back" to where you started..then it would simply not be happy with having to sit and wait for your next load and expediting is all about..hurry up and deliver so you can wait....

So again, just what are you looking for from Panther????

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
So Ken please share with us your experience with U Ship. Have you used it? If so how often? What type of things did you haul? What rates did you charge?

Well once there was a riding lawn mower, then 2 ATV's an antique hair curler from the early 1900's..and a A/C recovery unit....a antique dresser...
Since I stay out for 5-6 weeks I'd watch for stuff coming out of SD here or more times things going in the direction of home and not out in the boonies...on the route going home...I always covered my fuel for going home..that was the issue...I haven't done it for quite some time..you don't need cargo ins. to do it..and most don't even ask if ya do...most of the stuff being shipped is EBay stuff since E Bay and U ship are owned by the same company...it was just a bonus thing..If nothing came up or the timing wasn't there...I didn't do it....it is alot of work just to set-up the load...

Last edited:

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
I met a guy with a straight truck and flat bed trailer that does most of his work through UShip. First he finds a car or other piece of flat bed equipment to haul and then finds other things that are moving near the route he intends to take. He can put as many stops on as he wants and make a real good rate all miles. But it is time consuming setting up all the pick ups and deliveries.
I also know a horse hauler that uses UShip to find his loads. But he is mostly retired and only does a few runs a year.

Brisco

Expert Expediter

Not really gonna take what Ken has to say about UShip to heart.......

Remember, UShip is a PAID advertiser here on EO, so he has to keep it on the positive side. :rolleyes:

In real life scenarios....if you are a "Trucker" in any fashion, and are making a living in your trucking career from other sources, UShip is a flat ash WASTE of your time.

Now, if you've got a beat up old Cargo Van, an old beater Pick Up Truck, a Box Truck that smokes going down the highway, and are really only needing to make the rent, earn your beer money for the night, or need those $5-$10-$20 bills to get your little rocks of crack throughout the day, then UShip may work for you.

I've watched and studied UShip since it's inception...... and believe me when I say it aint worth a flip. Some may come on Discussion Boards and TRY to portray it as a legitimate source for freight, just DO NOT take their words to heart and give them a try. It'll be one of the biggest mistakes you could make in your trucking career.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Im looking for at least 1500 to 2500 miles a week. Im looking to be as productive as possible. I have no problem waiting around, but when you've been sitting somewhere for over 24 hrs and a "first out" comes along and gets next load "twice"..its irritating. I cant wait for Panther to phaze them out.

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Sitting 24 hrs and having someone move in ahead of you is normal in the business and the more vans a company has, the better the chance of it happening..and you will also be the benefit of that same system every once in a while also....and they might not call it 1st outs, but you can believe it ain't goin to stop..every company will move a unit or 2 in front of you from time to time...sitting 24-36 hours is also a norm, but after that time, depending on the carrier, i am moving on my own dime....fortunately, i get paid to sit for 2 days then get a paid move, if i haven't already moved on my own...but thats my carrier..its not the industry norm...

At "least" 1500 to 2500 miles a week"... I have never leased to Panther, but from talking to their drivers on the road...good luck getting that kind of miles on a regular basis...most solo's ive talked to aren't getting that on a regular basis, yea one week a month maybe, but not always that often...remember they have a really big fleet of vans.....you are just another van in the fleet.

Just to ask, how any Panther CV drivers did you talk to before you signed with them??

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
Sitting 24 hrs and having someone move in ahead of you is normal in the business and the more vans a company has, the better the chance of it happening..and you will also be the benefit of that same system every once in a while also....and they might not call it 1st outs, but you can believe it ain't goin to stop..every company will move a unit or 2 in front of you from time to time...sitting 24-36 hours is also a norm, but after that time, depending on the carrier, i am moving on my own dime....fortunately, i get paid to sit for 2 days then get a paid move, if i haven't already moved on my own...but thats my carrier..its not the industry norm...

At "least" 1500 to 2500 miles a week"... I have never leased to Panther, but from talking to their drivers on the road...good luck getting that kind of miles on a regular basis...most solo's ive talked to aren't getting that on a regular basis, yea one week a month maybe, but not always that often...remember they have a really big fleet of vans.....you are just another van in the fleet.

Just to ask, how any Panther CV drivers did you talk to before you signed with them??

It might be normal, but I still think its irritating? And I PM a few, and talked to a Panther CV driver at Walmart..I think the 1500-2500 will be possible once I figure their system out.

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
speak of the devil..Panther just called and canceld a load I was supposed to cover tomorrow, so now im a "first out"..... But this is my last post until I reach Gold Status at Panther..thanx for all the advice from everyone.

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Does anyone have any experience with Uship. Is this somthing worthwhile you can do on your down time? Are Panther CV allowed to do it, since there isnt any backhauls for CVs

U waste your time with U ship... Everybody is trying to ship stuff and pay as little as possible. In some cases the pay won't cover not even the fuel... I gave up bidding on U ship long time ago.

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member

Remember, UShip is a PAID advertiser here on EO, so he has to keep it on the positive side. :rolleyes:

Brisco, you're not only wrong - you're dead wrong. We have thousands upon thousands of posts with the good, bad and ugly on everyone, so don't even try to play that card.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

In real life scenarios....if you are a "Trucker" in any fashion, and are making a living in your trucking career from other sources, UShip is a flat ash WASTE of your time.

Now, if you've got a beat up old Cargo Van, an old beater Pick Up Truck, a Box Truck that smokes going down the highway, and are really only needing to make the rent, earn your beer money for the night, or need those $5-$10-$20 bills to get your little rocks of crack throughout the day, then UShip may work for you.

I've watched and studied UShip since it's inception...... and believe me when I say it aint worth a flip. Some may come on Discussion Boards and TRY to portray it as a legitimate source for freight, just DO NOT take their words to heart and give them a try. It'll be one of the biggest mistakes you could make in your trucking career.

Wrong... No where did I recommend it. I only posted what I did.

paullud

Veteran Expediter

I don't see his statements as trying to be positive but a statement of his experience. He said he used it to pay for his fuel to get home which in this business breaking even is not a great long term plan. If they were trying to cover up the bad for the advertiser my opinion wouldn't still be there.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I don't see his statements as trying to be positive but a statement of his experience. He said he used it to pay for his fuel to get home which in this business breaking even is not a great long term plan. If they were trying to cover up the bad for the advertiser my opinion wouldn't still be there.

Exactly Paul....waaaay back when.....I first moved out to the dakotas....I did about 8-9 loads for UShip....I am 1,000 miles from Chicago.....780 miles from KC, 500 miles from St Paul...Those loads enabled me to get home and back to St Paul, fuel PAID...I had 5-7 weeks to find the appropriate load going towards home...It is a real pain tho and not really worth the effort, with the economy getting worse in those days, it became harder and harder to get a good price...Hey at the time I figured if the load was anywhere between the i80-I90 corridor it would be free money...pocket change....it is not a reliable source of income....
If one is so inclined and has the time to invest, it works sometimes, sometimes not.
Since most of the members here live east of the Mississippi....I wouldn't even consider it...
Most that really know me, know I would never advise anyone to do anything I felt was a bad deal regardless if they were an advertiser....
Brisco must surely remember Alumi-junk?...LOL and they were an advertiser....

I don't need to do it even more so now that I am with my present undisclosed carrier ( no free ads here)...LOL... because they can get me close to home more often...:)

Last edited:

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Just sign up and check it out. When your done laughing at the winning bids and shaking your head, everything else looks much better. Example Chicago to Calf. small items for $150, you would have to string a lot of loads together to pull this off, and if you can't....scary :(