U.S. vs. The World

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Once again, the Europeans kicked some serious U.S. butt to keep the Ryder Cup on the other side of the pond. However, the news from across the water was'nt all bad last weekend.

At the Matterly Basin track in Great Britain, the U.S. brought home the hardware at the Motocross of Nations. This annual event features 3 man teams from each participating country. The event has been taking place in Europe since the '40s, with the U.S. participating since the '70s. The first U.S. win was in '81 and we have been very dominant ever since.

In a format that rewards consistancy, the U.S. took the overall without winning a moto. It was a rookie team. The only one with MoN experiece was Ivan Tedesco with only last years event under his belt. He replaced team anchor Ricky Carmichael who was injured 2 weeks ago in the last outdoor national of the season. Ricky did attend the event for moral support. The first timers were James Stweart and rookie sensation Ryan "Opie" Villopoto.

For a detailed look at the race, check out racerxill.com.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"U.S. vs. The World". Sounds more like the international political arena than the links.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Highway Star,

I know what it is, just messing with you.

I worked for a guy who every year went to St. Andrews, Ryder, British Open and a bunch of other things over there. We had to know what all the 'important' happenings were in order to survive. The nice thing is that we got to stay at one of his golf resorts for free. oh He had Golf 'pros' (their names were listed on some PGA site) working at the company and I wondered how some of these guys even made it past the first tee - they were dumb as a rock.

You know that Byron Nelson died the other day (so did tokyo rose by the way) and the reporter for some reason made this comment - "until Lord Byron came on the scene in the world of Golf, the game did have the respectiblity it has today'. Never met him but I thought that Gene Sarazen was really a pro and did a lot for the game - met him in 97.

As for the ryder cup, this is GOLF, LOL.

It seems that if it was something Substantal like NASCAR or Formula 1 it would matter.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Sarazen and Nelson both made significant contributions to the game. Nelson is credited with developing the modern golf swing. In the old swing the "wrist flick" was key. When shafts went from hickory to steel Nelson began using his lower body much more. His swing was the model for the "Iron Byron" swing robot used in equipment development. Gene Sarazen developed the sand wedge.

I feel it important to point out that I really, REALLY, suck at golf!

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yes, soccer is just not catching on here. But golf is very popular. And, some will be surprised to know that motocross is right behind NASCAR in popularity.