U.S. Economy to "Slow Noticeably" in Fourth Quarte

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Nov. 8 (Bloomberg) -- Federal Reserve Chairman Ben S. Bernanke said the U.S. economy is likely to ``slow noticeably'' this quarter while high commodity prices and a weaker dollar may stoke inflation ``for a time.''

Chairman Bernanke spoke to a congressional committee today, recapping recent economic developments and projecting a slower fourth quarter. His testimony is summarized in a Bloomberg news article. See:

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=aU2Wu_43TuMQ&refer=home

The committee chairman characterized our present economic challenges as "the four horsemen." They are the weak dollar, high oil prices, housing market decline and tight credit.

What does this mean for expediters? That is anyone's guess.

My guess is it means slower freight, higher costs, and downward pressure on freight rates. I also believe that projections about slow growth are over-optimistic. I believe negative growth lies ahead (recession).

are12

Expert Expediter
RE: U.S. Economy to "Slow Noticeably" in Fourth Qu

<<I believe negative growth lies ahead (recession)>>

Here we go again!!

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter

If you expect the worst of times, then the worst is exactly what you're gonna get. The sky is falling. Well, it always is. Get over it. Adapt, overcome, improvise, maintain. It's called life. You have to do that in both good times and bad times, so it really doesn't matter either way.

Slow and steady, even in expediting, wins the race - Aesop

greg334

Veteran Expediter

Phil,
If Bernanke would be so concern about it, he would listen to the fed advisers who say RAISE INTEREST RATES NOW. The constant lowering of interest rates is killing the economy more than anything else. The housing market is not as important as the dollars value on the open market and with more and more shifting of companies using the euro to do their transactions with and with China and other countries now looking to turnover the dollar from their investments here (which means they will be buying things here), we got to strengthen the dollar by raising rates, bringing a serious change to the tax system quickly and to encourage savings.

Outside of that, the niche market can survive if some companies will get their sales staff out there and start working for us.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter

Where's this guy been? The "fourth quarter" started 3 quarters ago. Does he mean noticable like you notice a train is coming from a mile away; or that the train is on top of you ready to smush your car?

Frankly, ya gotta just keep doing what you do to make it out here. No preparation from a fed bureaucrat is going to make things any different out here.

-True independence can only be gained if you're trully independant.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

>Frankly, ya gotta just keep doing what you do to make it out
>here. No preparation from a fed bureaucrat is going to make
>things any different out here.

While the fed can have an impact at certain levels, fed-imposed changes take a while to filter through the economy. So, I agree with your main point.

I view our individual (one truck) place in the industry from a number of perspectives. There are (1) general economic conditions (like "economy to 'slow noticeably' in the fourth quarter"), (2) general conditions in the transportation industry, and (3) general conditions in the trucking industry. Because they are so widely covered, they are easy to guage.

Closer to home, it becomes more difficult. What are the general conditions of the expedite sector of the trucking industry (or transportation industry if you include air expedite)? and What general condition is our carrier in?

At home, it becomes easy. A quick look at your own balance sheet and income statement will tell you what condition you are in, and how that compares to last quarter, last year, and the present quarter compared to a year ago.

Know thyself. Know the economy. And tread as wisely as you can through the unknowns of the expedite industry.

As others have mentioned, a strong balance sheet will serve you well through all conditions and unknowns.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: U.S. Economy to

“While the fed can have an impact at certain levels, fed-imposed changes take a while to filter through the economy. So, I agree with your main point.â€

Phil, I don’t know what planet you are from but from my educated standpoint, from an observation of the stock and commodities markets and the other indicators that they reacted instantly like when the fed lowered rates a couple weeks back, there was no lag involved. The markets are emotional places of being and react instantly (sometimes before) to news of the Fed level changes and many businesses base their decisions on these markets, especially commodities market. The last time I looked the manufacturing sector of the country looks at raw goods and bases their margins on these prices. Sometimes they will horde material to hedge increases in pricing while other times they may use the futures market to hedge against any loses they may incur in the future. In addition, the fed's meddling in some metals market is going to haunt them later on when/if the markets tighten up. We have stopped exploring for new sources and selling off our internal stockpiles to China and Russia has not been helping us.

“I view our individual (one truck) place in the industry from a number of perspectives. There are (1) general economic conditions (like "economy to 'slow noticeably' in the fourth quarter"), (2) general conditions in the transportation industry, and (3) general conditions in the trucking industry. Because they are so widely covered, they are easy to guage.â€

NO they are not easy to gauge, in some instances the conditions that drive our business are too diverse to pick out easy indicators to predict trends in industries we support except one. The people who sit all day long trying to predict industry trends to hedge against loses for their companies never have a clear view of things and while they are using generally wide indicators, like the housing market surveys (only one is accurate and valid out of the five that are always referenced) or fuel prices or metal price trends, there is no clear path to a prediction that would accurately reflect real conditions.

Some customers have in the past reacted in both an emotional way and a logical way to market indicators on shipping their goods, and their business needs are often dictated by their customers, which in turn is not something that has been ever mapped out to find a path of prediction, if it could be then we would have billionaires in the supportive industries who can fill the need of the customers before those needs are realized by the customers themselves.

In general a slow down would be felt all over, it is not. The housing market has over extended itself and now is finally going through an adjustment period it so desperately needs; manufacturing has not been an issue except in the automotive area which has been again seeing more lost jobs as predicted. The stock market has made some gains in the year and with its small (300 to 500 points) lost, there is no worries about it.

“Closer to home, it becomes more difficult. What are the general conditions of the expedite sector of the trucking industry (or transportation industry if you include air expedite)? and What general condition is our carrier in?â€

I felt that the carrier, many of which are not in this for the long haul (pun intended) have been short sighted and rather lazy, is the key to any success. Those who are short sighted and lazy don’t look at these economic changes and start planning for them, while many others, including one that we both belong to have been changing to conform with a more corporate need and shifting customer priorities. I am starting to believe with the up and coming serious changes in the niche market that was created around emergency freight will drastically change and the need of the customer will be further reduced to the point that many companies will no longer offer expedited freight with short turn around times but rather fit the customer’s needs with a longer shipping time at substantially reduced rates.

“At home, it becomes easy. A quick look at your own balance sheet and income statement will tell you what condition you are in, and how that compares to last quarter, last year, and the present quarter compared to a year ago.â€

The problem with this is the Carrier, plain and simple. Without the ability to produce revenue, it don’t matter what your balance sheet says. No comparison will allow you to find alternatives to generating revenue unless the company let’s you. I go back to the idea that we are the salespeople for the carrier but the carriers don’t care to help us help them. If this was the case, then we would be able to better control our situation by prompting our carrier in an effective manner.

“Know thyself. Know the economy. And tread as wisely as you can through the unknowns of the expedite industry.â€

I agree with “know your limitations and how you can work with them†but regardless, it is the carrier that matters and it is the carrier that will let you become ‘successful’ or not.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RE: U.S. Economy to

>“While the fed can have an impact at certain levels,
>fed-imposed changes take a while to filter through the
>economy. So, I agree with your main point.â€
>
>Phil, I don’t know what planet you are from

I am from planet earth.

but from my
>educated standpoint, from an observation of the stock and
>commodities markets and the other indicators that they
>reacted instantly like when the fed lowered rates a couple
>weeks back, there was no lag involved. The markets are
>emotional places of being and react instantly (sometimes
>before) to news of the Fed level changes and many businesses
>base their decisions on these markets, especially
>commodities market.

True. I was talking not about markets but economic components like inflation and business cycle components like recession. The fed acts very much with those long term items in mind. Those are the items that require time to react to changes the fed makes.

The last time I looked the manufacturing
>sector of the country looks at raw goods and bases their
>margins on these prices. Sometimes they will horde material
>to hedge increases in pricing while other times they may use
>the futures market to hedge against any loses they may incur
>in the future. In addition, the fed's meddling in some
>metals market is going to haunt them later on when/if the
>markets tighten up. We have stopped exploring for new
>sources and selling off our internal stockpiles to China and
>Russia has not been helping us.

Just like the talking heads on the TV business stations, we can discuss individal components to death. You talk raw goods, I can counter with jobs data. You talk metals markets, I can counter with currency rates. No good end is served by that here in the Open Forum. You are free to elaborate on all the data you wish without challenge from me.

>“I view our individual (one truck) place in the industry
>from a number of perspectives. There are (1) general
>economic conditions (like "economy to 'slow noticeably' in
>the fourth quarter"), (2) general conditions in the
>transportation industry, and (3) general conditions in the
>trucking industry. Because they are so widely covered, they
>are easy to guage.â€
>
>NO they are not easy to gauge,

They are for me. You turn on the news, the rate of economic growth is announced in the form of GDP growth. As far as I am concerned, by taking note of that figure, you have accurately guaged the rate of economic growth. When I read that the U.S. dollar is worth $0.92 Canadian, I believe I have accurately guaged the strength of the U.S. dollar against Canada's.

in some instances the
>conditions that drive our business are too diverse to pick
>out easy indicators to predict trends in industries we
>support except one. The people who sit all day long trying
>to predict industry trends to hedge against loses for their
>companies never have a clear view of things and while they
>are using generally wide indicators, like the housing market
>surveys (only one is accurate and valid out of the five that
>are always referenced) or fuel prices or metal price trends,
>there is no clear path to a prediction that would accurately
>reflect real conditions.

Again, I am not going to get bogged down in needless details or play indicator ping pong with you. Trucking industry economists have no trouble making industry projections that trucking companies rely on. Every publicly held trucking company discusses industry conditions and says what management is doing in response. Exact science? No. But lost in the fog? Also no.
>
>Some customers have in the past reacted in both an emotional
>way and a logical way to market indicators on shipping their
>goods, and their business needs are often dictated by their
>customers, which in turn is not something that has been ever
>mapped out to find a path of prediction, if it could be then
>we would have billionaires in the supportive industries who
>can fill the need of the customers before those needs are
>realized by the customers themselves.

Business needs are dictated by customers. No arguement there. Customers are not always rational. No arguement there either. Individual business actions cannot be predicted. Also true.

>In general a slow down would be felt all over,

Not true. In even the most severe recessions, there are bright spots, places where growth occurs.

it is not.

That is true but an economic slowdown is clearly underway. That is indicated by GDP numbers.

>The housing market has over extended itself and now is
>finally going through an adjustment period it so desperately
>needs; manufacturing has not been an issue except in the
>automotive area which has been again seeing more lost jobs
>as predicted. The stock market has made some gains in the
>year and with its small (300 to 500 points) lost, there is
>no worries about it.

The above is all true, for the moment.

>
>“Closer to home, it becomes more difficult. What are the
>general conditions of the expedite sector of the trucking
>industry (or transportation industry if you include air
>expedite)? and What general condition is our carrier in?â€
>
>I felt that the carrier, many of which are not in this for
>the long haul (pun intended) have been short sighted and
>rather lazy, is the key to any success. Those who are short
>sighted and lazy don’t look at these economic changes and
>start planning for them, while many others, including one
>that we both belong to have been changing to conform with a
>more corporate need and shifting customer priorities. I am
>starting to believe with the up and coming serious changes
>in the niche market that was created around emergency
>freight will drastically change and the need of the customer
>will be further reduced to the point that many companies
>will no longer offer expedited freight with short turn
>around times but rather fit the customer’s needs with a
>longer shipping time at substantially reduced rates.

That is your belief. I am not as certain as you.

>“At home, it becomes easy. A quick look at your own
>balance sheet and income statement will tell you what
>condition you are in, and how that compares to last quarter,
>last year, and the present quarter compared to a year
>ago.â€
>
>The problem with this is the Carrier, plain and simple.
>Without the ability to produce revenue, it don’t matter
>what your balance sheet says.

If your balance sheet (and income statement) tell you that you are not producing revenue, you will, make changes to start producing revenue again, will you not? No mystery there.

No comparison will allow you
>to find alternatives to generating revenue unless the
>company let’s you.

The comparison will tell you that your revnue has changed. That would prompt a prudent business person to react.

There seems to be a difference in views between us regarding your "unless the company let's you" attitude. I have been in this business, serving the same carrier, for four years. While my carrier and I have a contractual relationship that spells out our respective responsibilities, the bottom line is my carrier is my customer.

In a very real sense, my carrier is the only customer I have. I profit by serving my customer. If the customer no longer enters my store, so to speak, with enough money to keep me in business, I will go looking for other customers. If necessary, I will open a different kind of store, maybe something like "My Own Authority R Us." But if it is not necessary, I'll continue to mind the business I have. I am also open to changing how I do business to continue serving my customer of choice.

I go back to the idea that we are the
>salespeople for the carrier but the carriers don’t care to
>help us help them. If this was the case, then we would be
>able to better control our situation by prompting our
>carrier in an effective manner.

I am in FULL control of my situation. I am not in control of external factors like economic growth and changes in carrier business strategies. But I am in FULL control of MY situation. My emotional and rational responses to external factors, in other words, the choices I make or do not make, determine what shows up on my income statement and balance sheet.

>“Know thyself. Know the economy. And tread as wisely as
>you can through the unknowns of the expedite industry.â€
>
>I agree with “know your limitations and how you can work
>with themâ€

Know your your strengths too. Know thyself does not mean knowing only your weaker half.

but regardless, it is the carrier that matters
>and it is the carrier that will let you become
>‘successful’ or not.

I could not disagree more. No carrier determines how successful I will be as a truck driver. The moment it becomes clear that a given carrier is not paying my price, or that adequate opportunites are not available, that carrier is history and I will seek success someplace else; either with another carrier or with another business plan.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
RE: U.S. Economy to??

Phil,
OK I see what you are driving at but the issue is that this is a niche service market and part of an industry that has too many factors involve to say how this or that will effect us. The customer base was at one time only automotive but that is no longer the case and many industries depend on this service to fulfill the needs of them and their customers. To put it mildly, a slowdown could effect the entire trucking industry or it could effect only a part of it or nothing at all, but with that said, this niche market is not truck driven but service driven in many cases – somewhat analogist to other industries in which they give just an added service to retain customers.

“I am from planet earth.â€

Are you sure? Not from some planet they talked about on MIB? You know they have some really smart aliens from those planets. Just kidding.

“True. I was talking not about markets but economic components like inflation and business cycle components like recession. The fed acts very much with those long term items in mind. Those are the items that require time to react to changes the fed makes.â€

Markets drive the business cycle and other things like CPI more than most would think and many businesses look to the markets to see what they can do to increase profits. Inflation is also market driven as is the home building market and other markets. Point is that you need to dig a little deeper than aggregate of things to see what direction they are going in. The Fed has been very slow to react to things in the past 8 years and the age of intervention has been over but they don’t understand it, like the meddling in the housing market and the real experts say leave it alone. We don’t have a tight credit problem, the interest rates were lowered, so what is going on? (don’t answer that, it is rhetorical) The policies of the administration which are truly disastrous coupled with the lack of governance in departments like the FTC have been allowing a setting of a course that will be disastrous for the country and the fed’s in general have not looked over the horizon on any issues facing us for a long long time.

“Just like the talking heads on the TV business stations, we can discuss individual components to death. You talk raw goods, I can counter with jobs data. You talk metals markets, I can counter with currency rates. No good end is served by that here in the Open Forum. You are free to elaborate on all the data you wish without challenge from me.â€

I somewhat agree with you but with a caveat.

“They are for me. You turn on the news, the rate of economic growth is announced in the form of GDP growth. As far as I am concerned, by taking note of that figure, you have accurately guaged the rate of economic growth. When I read that the U.S. dollar is worth $0.92 Canadian, I believe I have accurately guaged the strength of the U.S. dollar against Canada's.â€

Yes Phil but numbers are deceiving when reported without a complete picture. The GDP is not a simple number but rather needs to be looked at with all numbers both negative and positive.

“Again, I am not going to get bogged down in needless details or play indicator ping pong with you. Trucking industry economists have no trouble making industry projections that trucking companies rely on. Every publicly held trucking company discusses industry conditions and says what management is doing in response. Exact science? No. But lost in the fog? Also no.â€

No ping pong here, a few years back the trucking industry economists also predicted a bunch of things that never came true and to reinforce my message - this is not mainstream trucking.

“Business needs are dictated by customers. No arguement there. Customers are not always rational. No arguement there either. Individual business actions cannot be predicted. Also true.â€

Great, agree again.

“Not true. In even the most severe recessions, there are bright spots, places where growth occurs.â€

Yes true, every industry in a severe recession is effected as with any sort of depression.

“That is true but an economic slowdown is clearly underway. That is indicated by GDP numbers.â€

Read on...

“>I felt that the carrier, many of which are not in this for
>the long haul (pun intended) have been short sighted and
>rather lazy, is the key to any success. Those who are short
>sighted and lazy don’t look at these economic changes and
>start planning for them, while many others, including one
>that we both belong to have been changing to conform with a
>more corporate need and shifting customer priorities. I am
>starting to believe with the up and coming serious changes
>in the niche market that was created around emergency
>freight will drastically change and the need of the customer
>will be further reduced to the point that many companies
>will no longer offer expedited freight with short turn
>around times but rather fit the customer’s needs with a
>longer shipping time at substantially reduced rates.

That is your belief. I am not as certain as you.â€

I am not certain but it is probable with the outlook of things in general. Remember Phil that we can have an adjustment period with a down turn of the economy that may not be drastic but also lose more of our manufacturing base which may not drive a downturn in the growth indicators or the markets. The UK effect of the 70’s/80’s may not hit us like it did them and we may see a bounce back of the growth in general with more of a shift out of manufacturing to retail and service.

“If your balance sheet (and income statement) tell you that you are not producing revenue, you will, make changes to start producing revenue again, will you not? No mystery there.â€

Balance sheets can not make a true comparison on how a company that you are contracted is doing, sorry. As you will read on, I make the point that the customer is the source of revenue, not you.

“The comparison will tell you that your revnue has changed. That would prompt a prudent business person to react.â€

Yes being prudent is a good thing but not being able to figure out to react is another matter.

“I am in FULL control of my situation. I am not in control of external factors like economic growth and changes in carrier business strategies. But I am in FULL control of MY situation. My emotional and rational responses to external factors, in other words, the choices I make or do not make, determine what shows up on my income statement and balance sheet.â€

Really Phil, I am sorry, I mean I honestly apologize to you and Diane for this but I don’t care what you are in control of, it does not make me any money so I don’t care. I don’t derive anything off what you say in relation to my statement, so either I am as dumb as a stone because I missed something (which I doubt very much) or you stated something that is too far over my uneducated blue collar thinking head or it is a great deflection (no need to reply). My statement basically says that people who insist on saying we are sales people for the company miss the part that the company does not view us as a sales force at all. I have already crafted (God I hate that word) a nice but rather informative letter for a small program and even included some cost analysis that allows the contractor to be a sales person for the company but I don’t think it will go far for a number of reasons I can explain off line to anyone interested. I think that we, the contractors have a real vested interest in making FedEx (in our case Phil) successful and if properly trained, we can make a difference (hope panther was ignoring that).

“There seems to be a difference in views between us regarding your "unless the company let's you" attitude. I have been in this business, serving the same carrier, for four years. While my carrier and I have a contractual relationship that spells out our respective responsibilities, the bottom line is my carrier is my customer.â€

Phil, sorry but it does not matter how long you have been in this business, it is different four years ago than it is today. The point I am making is that the company can allow you to book your own loads or not and when you can not, you have no control – simple point.

“In a very real sense, my carrier is the only customer I have. I profit by serving my customer. If the customer no longer enters my store, so to speak, with enough money to keep me in business, I will go looking for other customers. If necessary, I will open a different kind of store, maybe something like "My Own Authority R Us." But if it is not necessary, I'll continue to mind the business I have. I am also open to changing how I do business to continue serving my customer of choice.â€

See I first thought that way a long time ago when I was in the retail business but when I entered into the medical field, the doctors and clinics I worked with were not my customers, the patients were. It was the patients who really depended on my work to ensure that the doctor got the right information about them. That made patient my ultimate client, not the company I worked for or the doctors I served, they were only vehicles of revenue generation. I carried this throughout my other ventures and it gave me a path to success, like the DRP work and the Pharma work (which by the way was also stressed at the Pharma company we were working for the patient not the company) and I carried it to FedEx. Rather than thinking FedEx is my customer, I feel every place I go to where I pick up or drop off is the customer, not FedEx. I am a tool for FedEx, a service provider for them to use, not for them to ‘use’ if you get the difference I am inferring to.

But with that said, I know you may not get this part; FedEx has an obligation to me because of my relationship with the customers I serve as a service provideras art of FedEx and the two way obligation in servicing that customer (the customer service cycle I mentioned before). Sounds kind of odd but because I made a commitment to the customer, FedEx made a commitment to allow me to continue to provide that service and seek out more opportunities for both of us to generate revenue. With that twisted way of thinking (which I think follows Peter Singe’s philosophy or maybe Peter Phillip’s philosophy don’t remember) we are all winners when I provide the best service I can at the same time FedEx proactively looks for more opportunities for me to provide that service. In turn there is a snowball effect that can only take place if FedEx does it’s part by following up with the customer, etc..I know I am repeating myself but I don’t think you get it.

“I could not disagree more. No carrier determines how successful I will be as a truck driver. The moment it becomes clear that a given carrier is not paying my price, or that adequate opportunites are not available, that carrier is history and I will seek success someplace else; either with another carrier or with another business plan.â€

The company that you are contracted to limits your use of your truck to generate revenue, which is an absolute fact that you can’t get around. I don’t mean that you can’t break the contract or leave anytime but what I mean is that your revenue generation potential is directly related to the activity that the company has in both booking loads and proactively seeking out more revenue. If the company is a dud, like a few are, well the contractors are not going to flourish, right?

But taking this a step further, as you are service price driven, if all the companies have come down to the lowering their rates to be competitive which happens to fall below your near rock bottom operating level, there is no where to go except out and your business plan should not be changed to reflect the drastic reduction of the rate for these opportunities at sub-acceptable levels but rather have some contingencies to help you with a path of liquidation.

I honestly can not believe that you would be even worried with any down turn of economic conditions, it seems to me that you are in a different class than most anyway and the doom and gloom predictions are just that in many ways, predictions. I would be more concern with the negative impact of the tax system which tied with a lack of real savings and decreasing interest rates which may cause more manufacturing to move off shore coupled with the Mexican issues increasing daily, than any predictive slowdown from the feds. I also think that increasing interest rates is the best thing right now and a serious look at a very serious change in our punitive tax codes.

ATeam

Retired Expediter

Once again, Greg, you have worked our way down a thread to the point where I doubt that many people care much about what either one of us say. You lost my interest several times in your latest reply.

You are going to complex detail and multiple subjects. Diane and I got into this business because of its simplicity. We combine our labor with capital (our truck) to produce revenue. The flavor or style of our expedite business is defined by certain lifestyle considerations and goals that we have set (won't drive an E unit, won't become fleet owners, will stay out on the road more than most, dedicate assets to retirement goals, prefer a carrier relationship to own authority, etc.).

That's it. We're a couple of truckers working to make money and trying to have fun while doing so.

At present, our contract with FedEx Custom Critical meets our needs. If that changes, we will look at other options. Our future lies in our hands, not our carrier's. If FedEx Custom Critical disappeared tomorrow, it would not change who we are, it would not change our goals and it would not limit our opportunities. We are with FedEx today because, for us at least, it is the best carrier option out there. I know of no other place in the expediting industry where we can make as much money and receive the good support we are now.

The last word in this exchange between you and me is yours, Greg. If you wish to reply, knock yourself out.

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter

Wow! Hats off to both of you guys! What nicely written, concise and well thought out arguments.

Just a couple of thoughts:

1.) Business is SLOW or neither of you would have the time nor inclination to write such eloquent posts

2.) I'm new to this business and I think my decision to enter it was born from something ticking in the back of my head dating back to '03. Probably from reading something of Phil's that piqued my interest in expediting. Ahh.. the glory of moving that valuable grand piano from NY to SF for the big bucks. At the time I was a route contractor for Fedex, overworked and going mad from too many stops and worrying about the COMPANY jerking my contract.

3.) I AM limited by what my company allows me to do. Ain't no way around that. I only get to haul what they ALLOW me to haul. I'm on my 3rd company in 6 months and I'm beginning to think they're all pretty much the same. I am not busy enough.. not nearly busy enough.. and I don't know anyone who is. However, the people I've come in contact with at my current carrier have thus far treated me well, and been understanding and friendly. Much more so than the other 2 companies I worked for. Maybe.. just maybe.. I'll even get some miles..

4.) I've known the economy was in trouble for a long time. Its a house of cards, yet somehow it keeps on ticking and I've made more in investments this past three years than I thought possible. I'm beginning to think somebody high up somewhere likes this volatility. Common sense tells me that its unraveling. Stock portofolios say something different. Hopefully I can be in the right place when those two intersect. Chances are I won't. But, I'll do my best and hope my timing is right. Just like expediting...

5.) Phil, I like your sense of planning, if it were only that easy (for me) . I also see Greg's point, you got in a good place at the right time and you've prospered (been lucky). Were you to do the same thing today, it might be a different story. Or not.. We won't know that until you go somewhere else and report back.

Once I thought all I had to do was have the financial ability to purchase the "right" truck. Now, I've learned that there are a whole lot of other variables.. the biggest one being..

GETTING THAT PHONE CALL OR MESSAGE ON PEOPLE NET (QUALCOM)

**obviously I've got some spare time on my hands this Friday nite, too**

greg334

Veteran Expediter

raynchk
Thank you, I have time because I am sitting at home this week taking care of financial business.

Phil no need to reply to your post.