Truly New

HighwayHusky

Active Expediter
I will begin expediting next week in a 2003 Ford E350 SD, Departing from Indianapolis. I am wondering the best tires to run with, and the best place to get them around here?

Is firestone a good option?

Thank you

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Welcome to the forums and good luck out here! Can't help with the tire as I am not a 'van man'

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Hey man, welcome to the madness. We're a bunch of crazy but quite well informed and sometimes over-opinionated good ol' boys and girls from all sort of backgrounds.

Check out the blog posts that ebsprintin writes for a recent post about tires, specifically the Michelin LXT M&S2's. I'd also do a search of past forum posts. There are a few threads that mention van tires.

I'm running the tires mentioned above and love 'em so far. You'll find others that prefer Bridgestones or another brand. One of the tire threads here mentions good places to buy tires at decent prices. I think Discount Tires is a fav.

Good luck, and let us know what you end up doing.

Last edited:

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Welcome I wish you many miles and many smiles.with that said it really don't matter if you run recaps on the fords.they tend to sit more in the shop then running down the road.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hey man, welcome to the madness. We're a bunch of crazy but quite well informed and sometimes over-opinionated good ol' boys and girls from all sort of backgrounds.

20111115_forman1_koocheh.jpg

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Got to love Jack. ......tires. . i run Michelins and i bought mine at Sears on sale ....so i was covered 7 days a week plus nation wide....jmo

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

21cExp

Veteran Expediter
Here's the blog post by eb on the Michelin LTX MS2:
Michelin LTX M/S 2

Here's a thread just about tires for CV's:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/56319-cv-tires.html

Another thread on tires that mentions different places to buy them, including Discount Tire that I mentioned before, where I bought mine ("paid warranty which covers road hazards all the way down to the legal tread limit. I also get free rotations and balance for the life of the tire anywhere a discount tire shop is in the country".)
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/52580-michelin-tires.html

A thread on nitrogen in tires:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...ogen-extra-income-opportunity-expediters.html

A thread on Goodyear vs Dunlop with other info thrown in:
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/truck-talk/54990-goodyear-dunlop-tires.html

For more just do a simple search here in the forums on "CV tires" or the brand name, or "Tires discounts" etc.

Good luck

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I purchased mine from Walmart(had to have them ordered) There will always be a Walmart almost anywhere you are, plus they have lifetime balance and rotation. They also have the Michelin tires mentioned above.

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
not all walmarts with tire &lube carry the Michelein tires on hand ...most had to order them ....now thats what i was told at one of their stores. ....and if i was running on a spare i wouldn t be waiting on a tire to be replaced in a couple days. ....jmo

Sent from my SGH-T959 using EO Forums

wvcourier

Expert Expediter
I wait a few days for a load sometimes, wouldnt mind waiting few days for a new tire, especially not in a Walmart parking lot, and alot of Walmarts can get the tires the same day.

Sent from my Teddy Ruxspin

HighwayHusky

Active Expediter
I ended up purchasing Uniroyal Laredo HD/H through Tire Barn. I have been about 4,000 miles in the last week, and they feel great! I even went through that snow storm up in Wisconsin last week, and had no trouble at all.

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I purchased a set of Goodyears from Wal Mart once. They told me to have them rotated & balanced every 12000 miles at a Wal Mart store at my cost or they would not honor the Warrenty.(sp)

coalminer

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will begin expediting next week in a 2003 Ford E350 SD, Departing from Indianapolis. I am wondering the best tires to run with, and the best place to get them around here?

Is firestone a good option?

Thank you

My wife and I have 2 vehicles, a 2005 Sprinter, and a 2002 E350, here is something you should keep in your van at all times:

Search: 42025 | Spark Plug Thread Repair Kit | AutoZone.com

The Ford 4.6 and 5.4 engines are known for the spark plugs coming out of the engine because they didnt put enough threads in the head. If you are able to do basic things, you could do this repair on the side of the road, and be back in busness in about 30 minutes. Also carry a new coil, as sometimes the coil will be broken when the plug flies out of the head. Even if you are not able to do the repair yourself, if you have this kit in your van, any mechanic will be able to get you going again.

When it comes to tires, I have put some cheapo geo-trac's on my Ford and had pretty good results.....