Truckstops-81/85/95

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok, I'm curious...
What, amongst expediters, are your favorite truckstops and why?
Speaking primarily in reference to Certain Interstates...

I-81, I-85, and I-95. Flying J's, T/A's, Loves, Pilots, small independant truckstops, who's got what where?
What features do you like the most in these truckstops. Talk in reference of ease of access, clean restrooms, easy fueling, friendly staff, resturants *both at the T/S and within walking distance, Do they usually have low fuel, lower prices in general, a well stocked
C-store, buffett or regular dining or both. What times good to stop there, what times good to be out of there by.

I myself like the J's, most of them, and some T/A's, I like them for different reasons though. I like the J's for their clean facilities and overall they give me a good place to rest - safe, clean, roomy. I like the T/A's for their overall attention to "the driver", they'll usually have shops in or close to them if I need work done, they have supplies I need, and the fuel area's are good... they're the trucker's truckstop.

Pilot's seem to be slowly improving. Loves to me is just your run of the mill truckstop, usually nothing fantastic about them.

Overall, what would you all say has a good thing goin' for them in the realm of truckstops. who's gonna be the next top dog, who needs to concentrate more on their property's... this is a "general" question, concerning truckstops all over the country really, with special emphasis on the Eastern area's.

BigBusBob

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
I 81 West of Roanoke the stop up on the hill cannot remember the name but great food, nice accomidations. The chain I like best but is limited on food selections are the Wilco's. Fuel is always a bargin and its even 5% less if you use the Wilco Visa. Clean, fast, and the best orginized cashiers of all the chains.

Wythville VA is the best of the best of Wilco.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
We have always liked the Wilcos as well.
Short of the Atlanta location, I have always liked the Petros.
Only observation is to realign their parking at some locations.

It always seemed like I was walking a mile to get inside.
Ok in the summer, but a bummer during a blizzard.

Davekc

Dark_0ne

Expert Expediter
Well it's definitely not in the east, but I want to give a shout out for Dads Truck stop. I15 exit 113 in Idaho falls Idaho. Great food, pretty waitresses, and the best damn showers in the country. Most Expediters probably won't get near it I suppose, but if you ever do it's well worth the stop.

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Personally, I like the Petro on the west side of Atlanta, exit 12 on the beltway... everything a driver really needs is there, from a barber shop, CB shop, satalite TV/XM dealer, food, big store, truck wash, truck service place. They have IdleAire there too that I like. That Petro on the west side of Atlanta, and the J at exit 150 on I-85 in NC, and the Petro in Florence, SC by the Chrome Shop there is ok too. The J in GA on I-85 by exit 160 area is ok too, and there's a Petro across the street from it. I think there's a Wilco across from that J in NC at exit 150 on 85.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I don't know how it is now but the boys use to openly sell drugs out of the front parking lot at the Atlanta Petro. They would use spotters who would hang out up the street and at the exit off I 285 to watch out for the police.
I agree about Wico's being good spots.The only one I ever got poed at is the one on I 95 exit 82. One night I bought 85 gallons of fuel,needed a copy of my bol and the girl charged me $1.00 for the copy,havn't been back there since.

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
The new rule of thumb should be "don't stop anyplace where the diesel fuel is as hot as the coffee".

miko

Expert Expediter
I like the J's for the most part. Fuel is mostly cheaper than elsewhere, and I can use the coupon for food, even tho lately it seems that I am getting less coupons, but purchase same gal amount of fuel.
The further down south it gets, the more I have to complain about the service. No offense on other races, but it seems that they are slower than a snail down there...

I used to stop at Petro alot, but that was with a different company years ago, different set up. The other truck stops are ok, but usually I frequent the J's unless there is no J of course.

Most of the time I don't get to stop at a no name truck stop. I would really like to try one of those just to see how they are.