Truckstop showers

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Just for the record.

The other day when I logged in it was to post the same thread that I had posted on the other site and was surprised to see that someone felt compeld enough to do it for me, so thanks!

wombat52

Veteran Expediter
am i missing something here we use the flying j showers and they always look clean to me actually the last one was wow all you could smell was the chemicals the cleaner just used but yes would not even think about not wearing my throngs in the shower but alarm at reading about all these bugs just waiting there in the dark corners of the old truckstop shower i guess the the showers at the GATEWAY TRUCKSTOP IN LAREDO TX IS ON THE DO NOT SHOWER LIST .......... LOL

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Here's a link to the AP piece at the MSNBC Web site. Shows a picture of a bacterium-laced shower head.

The first sentence cracks me up:
In what may be the scariest shower news since Alfred Hitchсoсk's "Psycho," a study says showerheads can harbor tiny bacteria that come spraying into your face when you wash.

Tiny bacteria. As opposed to big, fat, hairy bacteria. :D

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Reading this thread makes us reeeally appreciate having our own shower. Granted we were not always that fortunate! Twenty-five plus years of showering in a multitude of truck stop showers did bring on a few foot issues along the way. Thankfully nothing serious.

Even in your own shower, be it at home our in your truck's sleeper, certain things need to be done to protect one's self from bacterial infections. We wipe ours (in our sleeper) down after showering for two reasons. First to inhibit growth of any type of bacteria, and secondly to keep it clean and like new. Now our biggest concern is the quality of the water we refill with at the different fuel islands across the nation.

Realizing not all are able to have a shower in their truck for a variety of reasons, we strongly suggest that in your future truck build, if you can, spend the few thousand dollars more for the comfort, dignity, and piece of mind you get from in your own shower. It only requires a 30" x 40" area of your sleeper.

Remember, sit at the end of shower row in your favorite truck stop and watch what comes out. Then think "that may be the shower I get next! :eek:

Attachments

• Shower ll.jpg
    Shower ll.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 17
  • Shower.jpg
    Shower.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 18

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Wow Awesome shower and you guys have paid your dues to have that nice of one. We are still paying our dues but some day maybe.

Dakota

Veteran Expediter
This is a bit off the subject of driving but could be just as important for you or your hub/wife at home. It is on this same topic though.

Vacuum cleaners, where ya have the filters ya have to clean.. often have millions of micro organisms on them. So if you have to clean those, ya may want to wear gloves. At the very least, don't clean those filters if you've got a cut on your finger.

I worked for a carpet cleaning company for a short time and can tell you that what the cleaner picks up is nasty and is very unpleasant to drain. I got strep three time while working there. I not sure if the waste water had anything to do with it, but I am sure it did.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Another frequent cause of MRSA [renamed 'multidrug resistant staphaureus, I notice - much more apt] is the 'road rash' pursuant to a spill from a bike.
Perhaps Harley Davidson should promote it's own MootSuit? :D

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
Reading all this reminded me of why after a couple showers in truck stops I went completely to baby azz wipes and hospital wipes in the comfort and safety of my van.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
All of the media hype and psycho-babble over all the germs in the world that we are inundated with every day of our lives is more than a little "over the top". While I'm not saying that common sense logic and sensible precautions shouldn't be taken, I am saying that fear and phobia is not necessary. We have all been plagued with germs since the day we were born and people with normal immune systems will rarely have any problem with those germs.

As was stated in the EWW article that Diva linked to..

"This really shouldn't concern average, healthy people. The main concern is for people who are immune-compromised,"

If you start letting the fear of germs consume you, your life is going to become completely irrational. How many people eat at restaurant buffet's? How many dirty hands have handled the serving utensils which are then set back into the food? How many sneezes have been aimed at the row of food? How many brooms have been used in the dining area stirring up the dust, dirt and germs on the floor to float all around the room and settle in your plate? How clean were the hands of the worker who filled the cup holders at the drink fountain, or made the next pot of coffee? Did the waitress who handled your plate and brought your food go and wash her hands after she scratched her nose or her head? How many people that sat in the upholstered seat in the tv room before you showered in the last week or maybe had body lice or head lice? Do you see what I'm getting at here?

Sure, there are some bugs that are very nasty and dangerous to your health, but to the common person with a normal immune system, unreasonable fear is just going to make your life miserable. Hand washing is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of infection. So wash your hands often, use some common sense and logic.. and relax and enjoy life! It's too short to sweat the small stuff!! :D

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Excellent point: our immune systems can't create antibodies to germs we're not exposed to, and who wants to live in a bubble, anyway?
[My sister - she was horrified to see me open a can without washing the top first, gasp!:eek:]
But - MRSA is a nasty bug, and the sad fact is that the most likely place to get it is in the hospital. Scary, indeed.:(

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Another "germ" question to think about.. Have you ever wondered if the dollar bill in your wallet (or purse) was once tucked inside the g-string of a stripper? (Bet you're wondering about it now huh? :D )

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
Well I'm not paranoid but I've become much more aware and cautious of my surroundings.

Thank God I have a good immune system and was able to fight off the MRSA bug with only
a week of being in the hospital with almost a constant anti-biotic Iv etc. and another week not being able to work with a leg twice it's normal size.

I guess (unfortunately) it sometimes takes experience to gain respect of things like MRSA
so to those of you that feel lucky!....I say Good Luck!

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I'm quoting Sharp but I'm TALKING TO THOSE OF YOU THAT BLOW THIS OFF......

Well I'm not paranoid (as a good friend, I can more than vouch for that) but I've become much more aware and cautious of my surroundings. And wisely so, as WE ALL SHOULD.

Thank God I have a good immune system and was able to fight off the MRSA bug with only
a week of being in the hospital with almost a constant anti-biotic Iv etc. and another week not being able to work with a leg twice it's normal size. (imagine what it would have been had you been one of those "unlucky" ones with a weakened immune system) :rolleyes:

I guess (unfortunately) it sometimes takes experience to gain respect of things (some will not listen regardless) like MRSA
so to those of you that feel lucky!....I say Good Luck!

More specifically to Inkasnana.....

All of the media hype and psycho-babble over all the germs in the world that we are inundated with every day of our lives is more than a little "over the top". I guess you don't mind drinking out of a glass container that's been wiped out with a dirty towel instead of being washed? (just an example of media "hype") While I'm not saying that common sense logic and sensible precautions shouldn't be taken, I am saying that fear and phobia is not necessary. I don't think anything that's been discussed here falls into the category of fear and phobia and frankly, I resent that phrase being brought into a conversation about a man that SUFFERED FOR MORE THAN A WEEK because some idiot doesn't know how to clean a shower properly. We have all been plagued with germs since the day we were born and people with normal immune systems will rarely have any problem with those germs. Well good for all of us, apparently things have changed since the "good old days". We can no longer eat a "pound of dirt" and stay healthy.

As was stated in the EWW article that Diva linked to..

Quote:
"This really shouldn't concern average, healthy people. The main concern is for people who are immune-compromised,"

AGAIN, my friend is not "immune-compromised" and yet he fell VERY ill.

If you start letting the fear of germs consume you, your life is going to become completely irrational. How many people eat at restaurant buffet's? How many dirty hands have handled the serving utensils which are then set back into the food? How many sneezes have been aimed at the row of food? How many brooms have been used in the dining area stirring up the dust, dirt and germs on the floor to float all around the room and settle in your plate? How clean were the hands of the worker who filled the cup holders at the drink fountain, or made the next pot of coffee? Did the waitress who handled your plate and brought your food go and wash her hands after she scratched her nose or her head? How many people that sat in the upholstered seat in the tv room before you showered in the last week or maybe had body lice or head lice? Do you see what I'm getting at here?

All of the above are LEGITIMATE concerns, not phobias, and have been discussed repeatedly over the past 10 years here on this forum. Are you saying that those of us that are squeamish of these things are paranoid? Hmm..

Sure, there are some bugs that are very nasty and dangerous to your health, but to the common person with a normal immune system, unreasonable fear is just going to make your life miserable.AGAIN, I'm going to point out to you that my friend HAS a normal immune system....are you getting it yet?:confused: Hand washing is the single most effective way to prevent the spread of infection. Hear that?? We should all be certain to wash our hands before we step into the truck stop shower.:rolleyes: So wash your hands often, use some common sense and logic.. and relax and enjoy life! It's too short to sweat the small stuff!! :D
Sharp comes here and tells a VERY PERSONAL story of what happened to him because of an unclean shower, trying to HELP anyone that will listen. While the words fear and phobia may not have been pointed at him in particular, they have no place in this thread.

The use of those two words and the list of examples of uncleanliness with the remark " Do you see what I'm getting at here?"......
are insulting.

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
More specifically to Inkasnana.....

Sharp comes here and tells a VERY PERSONAL story of what happened to him because of an unclean shower, trying to HELP anyone that will listen. While the words fear and phobia may not have been pointed at him in particular, they have no place in this thread.

The use of those two words and the list of examples of uncleanliness with the remark " Do you see what I'm getting at here?"......
are insulting.

Excuse me, but there was no reason to get "uppity" with me. NO WHERE in my post did I make light of the serious situation that the OP wrote about. In fact, I stated in my post "Sure, there are some bugs that are very nasty and dangerous to your health, " which indirectly refers to the bug in the original post. (I guess I should have made the reference directly clear in my post since some may have completely overlooked that indirect reference and assumed I was dismissing the seriousness of MRSA)

Now if you will read my post AGAIN and notice THIS reference.. "All of the media hype and psycho-babble over all the germs in the world that we are inundated with every day of our lives is more than a little "over the top".. AND THIS reference.. "As was stated in the EWW article that Diva linked to.." you will realize (hopefully but maybe I'm assuming too much) that my post is directed to the article that YOU linked to and the irrational media hype and fear-mongering that is presented in THAT article. DO YOU GET WHAT I'M SAYING HERE?????

dieseldiva

Veteran Expediter
I read your post and that includes the reference to my link. My comment after the link is to include the media that the "immune challenged" are not the only ones that suffer the consequences of these germs.

I did not say that you "made light" of Sharp's suffering, what I said was your use of the terms "fear and phobia" have no place in this thread and are an insult to Sharp and any one of us that are concerned with the very things that you made light of in your list.

Now, if you want to walk through your life and ignore those "silly" things that you listed, that's your choice.....just don't imply that the rest of us are fearful or paranoid if we choose the opposite.

"Uppity".....hmmm.....how do YOU stand up for YOUR friends?

Last edited:

MentalGiant

Seasoned Expediter
Geez!!! I haven't read or posted in a good while and I think this thread has explained why I have not. Because people don't use good sense before they post.

To begin with, sorry to hear about what happen to you oncedrove. It is unfortnate to hear this has happened to you. Hope to hear you fully recover from it.

The other thing I'm going to talk about, is to the people who expect their lives to be germ free. Don't fool yourselves thinking it will ever happen. We all get sick from one thing to another, it is just not possible, unless you live in a bubble like some one else said, I believe Cheri said that. The showers we as drivers need to use at these truck stops see 100's of drivers a day for just one shower. Yes it would be nice to see them disinfected properly, but it won't ever happen. If they did properly disinfect each shower after each use, how many drivers do you think will be taking a shower each day then, there would be lines of drivers waiting, complaining because it is taking to long.

Germs, disease and people who spread them throughout to the public community will always be there. Just because you are careful, doesn't mean the person standing beside you is. They cough, not covering up their mouth, spreads their germs into a fine mist that might float your way and you inhale. Yeah, I know disgusting, but it is the simple truth how germs are spread and just one of the many ways.

Diseases is a different matter. Most diseases need to have a contact transfer, which is where the bathrooms and showers come into play. I'm disgusted when I go into the mens bathroom, some one does their business and just walks out without washing their hand. That is why when I wash my hands and always use a paper towel, I keep the paper towel and use it to open the door, door handle equals contact transfer. I'm not paranoid to the point were I won't use a public restroom, but I take precautions. Which most people should anyways in public areas, because we all know that other people don't give a **** or maybe don't even know they transferring a disease. But, that doesn't give them an excuse for not washing their hands. I know I don't have any disease, but I'm always considerate to give the people who travel into the same restroom as me, the assurance that I have done my part not to transfer anything to them, because for the simple fact, they don't know me and don't know if I do have any kind of disease that is transferable.

So, my conclusion on these subject is this. Do your part to make your visists more safe for yourself. If the shower is not clean enough, notify the manager, tell them you want this shower cleaned better before you shower. It is your right as a customer to have a clean shower. It is alright to spray the shower down with a disenfective to ensure your safety and your mind. Just don't expect a germ or disease free enviroment. They have been here for millions of years and don't think they will be going away to soon.

fketchum

Seasoned Expediter
Last year about this time my stepmother was admitted to Henry Ford Hospital for a upper respiratory infection and about 4 days later Passed away from a SEPSIS Infection. She was 58 years old. and in good health otherwise. The Ironic thing about it is That hospital is a leading researcher for that type of infection. That makes me ask the question are they a leading researcher because the Hospital has a problem with Sepsis? I think that is probably the case.
Another consideration is when she was admitted she was in weak physical condition and that is probably why she became infected. nobody who visited her became sick. But how does a person know when their immune system has become weakened enough to allow such a infection to take hold. She had what seemed like the common flu. There is noway to stop exposure to these super bugs but we can help to limit the excessive exposure one would receive in super breeding ground like a shower.