Trucks/sleepers/Boxes

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Ok,

1998 Pete 330 with 9 speed Eaton Fuller with a 60" Double Eagle Sleeper and a 22 foot box I do believe, with approx. 400,000+ miles.
With a Cat. Engine 60/40 deal for driver.

1995 Ford Aeromax LTL with a Super 10, 60"+ hi-rise sleeper, 22 foot box I believe it is. 500,000+ miles. Not sure of engine make.
60/40 deal for driver.

FL80 6 speed with a double bunk sleeper...not sure of spec.'s on this truck. <this truck apparently gives the driver 35 to 37 percent, however the owner as I'm told pays for fuel & tolls & all permits.

So, tell me everybody, what's the good truck out of all these in your own personal opinions & why?

I'm told the Pete has a narrow cab, the Ford is small on leg room. The Ford I'm told is a tractor with the 5th wheel removed & a box added, which gives it the opportunity to haul those big 1.65 cpm loads 'cause of it's 3 axle's.

Ok, Let me hear your opinions/thoughts on all this?

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You got me interested when you started off with the Pete and ended with the FL80. I think you've already got it.

>1998 Pete 330 with 9 speed Eaton Fuller with a 60" Double
>Eagle Sleeper and a 22 foot box I do believe, with approx.
>400,000+ miles.
>With a Cat. Engine 60/40 deal for driver.
Built for the job and the most desirable of the bunch. Only question is about the CAT. Unless it has been overhauled, you're right at the end of the expected life for that engine. You might have some unexpected downtime (vacation).

>1995 Ford Aeromax LTL with a Super 10, 60"+ hi-rise sleeper,
>22 foot box I believe it is. 500,000+ miles.
I've never been a Ford fan and I need lots of knee room.

>FL80 6 speed with a double bunk sleeper...not sure of
>spec.'s on this truck. <this truck apparently gives the
>driver 35 to 37 percent, however the owner as I'm told pays
>for fuel & tolls & all permits.
Every FL80 I've seen comes with the 4.63 rears. This means it really screams at cruising speed, your fuel mileage will be lower, and you'll wish you had taken the Ford - unless that is a 6 speed OD tranny. But then the money split is wrong. You might as well get a job at Wal-Mart.

Vernon

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Vernon, the FL80 is a 6 speed. The Ford Aeromax LTL is a "super 10" speed. Vernon, what your saying is the FL80 is the better of the 3 or ? I see many expediters out there with these business class Freightliner cabs, why is that? cost ? or ? I don't mind shakers, I like them actually. I also like the idea of a class 8 truck with a cargo box though because I'd have the option to haul far more weight-if I needed to. Whats everybodies opionion?
Also, an FL80 with 72" sleeper & 22 foot box...I'd get 50 cpm, & a fuel card that the owner pays for-so the truck owner pays for fuel. They take care of tolls/permits etc. & they give me $200 for expenses-once it's gone I get another 200 & so on. Sound ok? or?
Talk to me People

I love this site!

BigBusBob

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I know the answer to this question, but curious on feedback anyways. An FL80-if any of you out there have them-has a fair amount of room in it with a 72" sleeper, how long is a comfortable amount of time to stay out in expediting. In the bus biz I'd stay out anywhere from 2 weeks to 6 weeks plus or more. In the expediting truck I'm plannin' on that I'd stay out for about 4-6 weeks. I would really like to go out into something larger than a 72" box though, whats your opinions on that??? The max would be a 96" sleeper truck, as I'd want no doubt a 22 foot box on the back. I'll be driving for an O/O. Is April a good time to get into the biz? or is now a better time???

Talk to me people!

vernon946

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
BigBusBob, I reread my reply, and it sounds to me like I put the FL80 in 3rd place. For me that is dead last, not the better of the 3.

>I see many expediters out there with these business class >Freightliner cabs, why is that? cost ? or ?
That is probably what most expeditors are. I expect it has a lot to do with cost, but mostly it is based on what the dealers that serve the expediting world pre-build and offer for sale. You'll find the FL70, FL80 and FL106 all look about the same on the road and do have the same amount of cab room.

>I also like the idea of a class 8 truck with a cargo box though >because I'd have the option to haul far more weight-if I needed to.
The FL80 is a class 7 truck, with 33000 GVW.

>Also, an FL80 with 72" sleeper & 22 foot box...I'd get 50 cpm, & a >fuel card that the owner pays for-so the truck owner pays for fuel. >They take care of tolls/permits etc. & they give me $200 for >expenses-once it's gone I get another 200 & so on. Sound ok? or?
That is a lot different deal than the 35-37 percent to you mentioned in the first message. Is that 50 cpm for all miles or loaded miles only? Will the O/O give you a written contract stating all that? Have you checked the O/O out?

Vernon