Trucking Horror Stories From The Bakken Oil Fields

Luke Kibby

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
This article was written by one of our staff on his experience with Trucking Compliance and Safety (or lack there of) in the Bakken Oil Fields. Have anyone else experienced crazy compliance/safety issues while on the road?

During my first couple of months of driving water trucks in the Bakken, I saw all manner of unsafe, and frankly, crazy, driving. The sight of over-turned trucks was a regular occurrence, roughnecks and roustabouts would pass each other on blind hills and turns to meet each other in on-coming traffic as they rushed to a job site, and commercial drivers would fall asleep at the wheel due to the fatigue of working beyond the Hours of Service limits. It did not take long to realize that if I wanted to make it as a truck driver in North Dakota – and stay alive – I would have to be 100% focused on safety and my level of awareness would need to be extraordinarily sharp.

Here are some examples of the negligence and lack of safety I saw during my time in the Bakken:

One night, at about 3:00 in the morning, I was woken by the ground-shaking thunder of a large explosion. I ran outside to see flames ascending the giant fir tree of my next door neighbor. There was a small motor home parked in front of their house that was fully engulfed in flames. Kaboom! Another huge explosion sends the neighbors and me scurrying to a safe distance while waiting for the fire department. It was later determined by the fire marshal that the explosion was caused by a careless driver lighting a cigarette while sitting in his parked truck. The truck was carrying were six compressed oxygen bottles and a propane bottle – you can figure out the rest!

Another example of this carrier’s negligence, beyond its poor driver qualification process, was when a new overnight driver destroyed a contamination barrier his first night on the job! He loaded his trailer with production water, drove off, and then failed to negotiate a tight corner to get out of the lot, destroying a contamination barrier with his trailer. To make matters worse, he didn’t even report the accident! This event was the straw that broke the camel’s back – the regulators came and put the carrier out of service, on account of this accident and many others within the previous year. Within only a few months of employment, myself and twelve other drivers were out of a job and the company lost millions in potential revenue due to lost contracts.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It did not take long to realize that if I wanted to make it as a truck driver in North Dakota – and stay alive – I would have to be 100% focused on safety and my level of awareness would need to be extraordinarily sharp.
Is your focus on safety and level of awareness reduced when driving in other states?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Luke Kibby doesn't appear on Glostone's website under the meet the personnel page. Nor does Kuke Libby. Luke Kibby must be his E.O. alias. He should bone-up on his knowledge of HOS exemptions for oilfield workers and some basic driver safety practices before trying to peddle trucking solutions.

Luke Kibby

New Recruit
Safety & Compliance
My focus here is to educate drivers, talk about compliance issues, learn about drivers worries and other compliance issues, etc. I do not plan on posting any links, just have discussions. You can view my profile on various social sites if desired and notice all the articles are being written by me (on our website). I am not a main manager - therefore I decided not to place my info on the meet the team page. You can also see an article written by FleetOwner that quotes me personally on basic DOT Compliance issues (December 2015).

I'm surprised these worries arise in just 2-3 days (over the weekend). Pretty sad I have to defend myself so when these forums are to be a source for good. But I will continue on, I am sure others will find the info and discussions a bit more to their tastes.

Regarding HOS, I have trained drivers and fleet managers, written quizzes, and posted articles on this. Feel free to question me. Maybe you can learn something too. I associate myself with our company, only natural, but knowledge is knowledge and should be shared. If any would like perspectives from a DOT Inspector, my associate can help there too.

More importantly, regarding this specific thread content, my co-worker never felt as a driver that his life was so obviously on the line then when driving in the Bakkens. Safety and compliance was always taken seriously by him, but never been so pushed on the oil fields and even fought against companies that thought otherwise.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I'm surprised these worries arise in just 2-3 days (over the weekend).
You shouldn't be surprised, really. There is going to be a natural skepticism when a new user joins up and immediately completes their profile page to read as a corporate ad, chooses as their first post on an expediting Website forum an article that doesn't apply to the expediting industry, one which ignores FMCSA regulations exemptions for the oilfield industry, and one which initially contained a link that caused the post to be rejected.

I do thank you for omitting from the article and the title "This will blow your mind!" and "You won't believe what happened next!"

As long as your discussions stay to the issues of compliance and not the marketing of services, and those discussions are relevant to the expediting industry, I don't forsee any problems in you posting here.