Truck Talk

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Congradulations and I know I am looking forward to learning a great deal from this site.

My question is - What are people doing to protect their trucks from "rust jacking?" Are there specific area's that those of us with D Units should be watching? (For people that do not know - rust jacking a problems associated with the new chemicals being applied to reduce ice on the roads. The downside is the chemicals appear to be causing damage to unprotected metal surfaces as well as getting into brakes.)

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Larry,

I too am looking forward to this new forum! Hey - never heard of "Rust Jacking is that something they do on the NY Thruway? lol!

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

-----------------------------------------

Everybody is someone else's weirdo.

-----------------------------------------

Lostmarbles

Expert Expediter
The only ICE we see here in the SW is when someone spills their Slurpee on road. "Oh wow DUDE" But I would like to know of ways to nutralize road chemicals and salts. Those of us that frenquent California have to wash our trucks alot to avoid problems when we cross the border. I have noticed that there is bubbles under the paint that has to be rust. I'll find out soon enough but the power washer is starting to peel back paint on my frame too.

Life is what happens to you while your busy makeing other plans.

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Lawrence:

Rust Jacking is a problems that has been widely discussed among the OOIDA people. The new chemicals that are being applied to the roads to prevent icing have been suspected of causing problems with trucks. Namely attacking any exposed metals (i.e. electrical) as well as causing problems with brakes. Also, as Lostmarbles alluded to in the reply above, it is eating the paint off of the frame. Like he says, when you powerwash the truck, the paint just peels off. When OOIDA first approached the communities applying the chemicals, the communities didn't want to be bothered about it. Now that they are seeing problems with thier own trucks, they are beginning to take notice.

The bottom line is, owners need to be crawling around under the trucks to make sure that they are not having problems as a result of these new chemicals.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I'm glad you brought this up Larry, as I have been watching it carefully too as I live in the snow belt. These de-icing chemicals are much worse than salt as far as corroding steel goes. They also kill any non water tight electrical connectors. My defense has been about the only one there is. I spray the stuff off once a week at home with the garden hose, just a good low pressure rinse. I think it does the worst damage if it is left on the truck for long periods of time.
-Weave-

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
On the subject of this rust jacking. Are there any new combats to it that I should know about? Above someone mentioned D units and closely monitoring the situation. I know that doesn't mean that it won't harm a van or even your own personal vehicle. What is the best thing I can do to prevent any damage to my vans? Is a good under coating any help?

Larry

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Tony:
The chemicals will attack any exposed metal, even vans. You have to look under the truck for areas that show excessive rusting. You also need to make sure all electrical wires and connections are protected. The chemicals will eat the copper wiring and connections. While you are under there, also check brake shoes. The chemicals get into the brakes, expand when they freeze and cause brake shoes to crack.
Another example of living better through chemistry.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Not yet, but I can vouch for a fact Pennsylvania's brew is the absolute worst. Ironic they have a state law for car inspections that won't allow any rust holes larger than a dime. Tony (Teacel) must buy a lot of Bondo!

:7
-Weave-