truck stop bums

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
TA in Florence, SC. short fat white chick with dark greasy hair, tall ugly white guy, long greasy hair, blue early 90's taurus. I have run into them 3 times in the past couple months. each time they "just needed enough to get to grandma's in North Carolina"..
Old black guy at TA in Birmingham, told him no money, he tried to reach into the cup holder in the van to make sure.

Gotta love it!! Hey!! They are OWED your money!! They have been trained that way for YEARS!! They are ENTITLED!!

How did you stop him from reaching into your cup holder?

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Gotta love it!! Hey!! They are OWED your money!! They have been trained that way for YEARS!! They are ENTITLED!!

How did you stop him from reaching into your cup holder?

Must be related to the guy I ran into in Chicago. I just got off the Eisenhower to turn south onto Cicero. While I was stopped at the light, he told me he had a ticket for the El that he tried to use, but they told him it expired just minutes before. About that time, the light changed and I told him I had to get going.

"What about my money?!?!?!" he demanded, and I do mean demanded.

"Sorry, dude, gotta go," I said, and went on my way, shaking my head at his 'tude.

"What about my money..."

Scuba

Veteran Expediter
OK City pilot a man comes up to the truck and gives me this story. IK am on my way home from my dads funeral {this guy looked to be in his 70's} So i guess it was time for dad to go lol. So on his way home a big truck passes me and a rock comes off of the trucks tire and breaks my windshield. So now after replacing the windshield i don't have enough gas money. Then he points out a van in the parking lot to show me his vehicle i looked at him then over at the van again and told him that he had a bigger problem. He looked confused so i told him well some white guy his wife and 2 kids just stole your van. ROTFLMAO the owners of the van came out and drove away while he was telling me his sob story. Now when i see someone walking up to the truck i just wave them off i dont want to hear the crap its all lies i dont believe one word of any story. Cold hearted well i am ok with that i am not the bums bank and trust

termite289

Expert Expediter
well this has been far more interesting than i thought it would be when i started it.
and educational as well.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
T/A in Baytown, TX.
A guy comes up to me and shows me his drivers license to prove he has a CDL. Needs money to get home cause his co driver was an as***** and left him behind. Great story teller.
Guy hasn't bathed in awhile, looks hungry and tired.
I looked at his CDL and it had expired 5 years ago!!!
He almost got me for a couple of bucks.
T/A in Jackson, GA. A guy asks me while I'm fueling if I use my Road King points. I told him I do, asked why.
He says that he is broken down and waiting for parts. Out of money. He asks the drivers for there points and puts them on his card. I guess a lot of local drivers don't use the points. Anyway, I asked how it was going and he said he had already collected $50 in points and about a dozen showers. Then asks if I want to buy a shower for $5.
Maybe I should hang out at the fuel pumps more often?

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
when i first started with roberts express i saw these things going on and really didn't know what was going on until terry and renee explain what was what i almost gave a person some money to help out, and terry and renee said he's here all time and saw you as a new mark

here in hampton roads area we have some people who try
scam for money at shore drive and daimond springs road and have a sign will work for food , i stopped and offered to share my lunch with them and they were upset all they wanted was the money
later i saw them walk back behind a building i was delivering to and they were changing back into go home cloths and car they were driving was a brand new car they were making more money than i was working

Poorboy

Expert Expediter
when i first started with roberts express i saw these things going on and really didn't know what was going on until terry and renee explain what was what i almost gave a person some money to help out, and terry and renee said he's here all time and saw you as a new mark

here in hampton roads area we have some people who try
scam for money at shore drive and daimond springs road and have a sign will work for food , i stopped and offered to share my lunch with them and they were upset all they wanted was the money
later i saw them walk back behind a building i was delivering to and they were changing back into go home cloths and car they were driving was a brand new car they were making more money than i was working

Yeah, We have that in Toledo North bound I-75 Exit Ramp 201 which is the Collingwood Avenue exit There is a White Male and Female that is Usually there Every Other Day or so. They park their Newer Model F-150 (I'm Guessing a 2008) Down the Street in the Neighborhood and Beg Money for a while and Jump into that Nice Truck and Leave. Their sign also says Will work for Food but I Offered them some of my Wendy's and they Flat Out Ignored me.. Guess they Didn't Like Wendy's

Last edited:

BigRed32771

Expert Expediter
Heard a woman on the radio say her brother stopped by her office and was telling her that he was about to lose his house. The eviction was pending and he had to actually move out soon. She felt sorry for him. Then he said, "Well, I have to get going. The kids are waiting in the camper."

"YOU STILL HAVE THE CAMPER?"

The RV in question was worth about $25,000. She had assumed he had already sold it.

"Well, the kids like it, so I really couldn't part with it."

She ceased feeling sorry for him immediately.

Think about it for a minute. The camper might have been completely paid for. It certainly would have had lower payments than most houses. If the house was that far gone, in most markets upside down these days as well, selling a $25K RV (presuming you could sell it in the current market at all or anywhere close to that price) wouldn't make that big a dent in the crisis. Hanging onto that RV might be the smartest move because living in an RV somewhere (anywhere) is probably preferable to living in a tent or cardboard box. I suspect we'll see squatter camps containing "high value" RV's etc before this is over. Call them the "semi-homeless" or "modern nomads."

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Think about it for a minute. The camper might have been completely paid for. It certainly would have had lower payments than most houses. If the house was that far gone, in most markets upside down these days as well, selling a $25K RV (presuming you could sell it in the current market at all or anywhere close to that price) wouldn't make that big a dent in the crisis. Hanging onto that RV might be the smartest move because living in an RV somewhere (anywhere) is probably preferable to living in a tent or cardboard box. I suspect we'll see squatter camps containing "high value" RV's etc before this is over. Call them the "semi-homeless" or "modern nomads."

We have had the "modern nomads" with us for years. One bunch is called "Travelers". A cult type criminal family. Just what we need, more of them.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter

I don't remember if it was paid off or not. This was early in the crisis in the housing market. The feeling was that, had he sold the camper, the money it brought could have made their mortgage payments or made up the difference between what they could pay and their total mortgage for long enough that something could change--a raise, a new job, etc.

That the economy has stayed so low for so long makes what you suggest more likely. Maybe that's why the Hook parking lots are so filled with RVs all the time, even during the week. And I'm surprised how many people I see sleeping in their cars every night, too.

Topcat

Seasoned Expediter
A few years ago, a women got me for about 6 bucks. I was comming out of a convience store and she rolled up on me in a suv, with the gas light on, low on fuel. Saying that she was trying to get away from her abusive boyfriend, she needed money to get across the bridge and some gas to get to her mother's house, also that she was pregnant(she just was fat).She had put the crying on good. Like a dumb cluck, I brought it. About six months later, I saw hers in the parking lot of my job, pulling the same stunt on one of my co-workers. This is why I stop giving money out like that. They only make it bad for those who reallyare in a bad situation.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A few years ago, a women got me for about 6 bucks. I was comming out of a convience store and she rolled up on me in a suv, with the gas light on, low on fuel. Saying that she was trying to get away from her abusive boyfriend, she needed money to get across the bridge and some gas to get to her mother's house, also that she was pregnant(she just was fat).She had put the crying on good. Like a dumb cluck, I brought it. About six months later, I saw hers in the parking lot of my job, pulling the same stunt on one of my co-workers. This is why I stop giving money out like that. They only make it bad for those who reallyare in a bad situation.

The vast majority of those who get into really bad situations don't go begging. Most work their way out, even if they start by cutting lawns, shoveling snow what ever they can do. Begging is for the weak and lazy, not for those with pride and dignity.

termite289

Expert Expediter
i'm trying very hard to stay on the dave ramsey plan, but turning off the xm radio hurt.
now i just listen to the tires on the road. and listen for funny noises that the truck makes.
however i have only 4 more payments, and the truck is finished.